Notices

Tips On Withdrawals Today?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips On Withdrawals Today?

Hi my name is Jack and I just joined the forum, I'm a 20 year old male from Missouri. Been drinking everyday since I was 17. I was a pretty big guy back when I started drinking but I've lost about 100 lbs over this past year because of my alcoholism. Would replace vodka with food, would wake up too nauseous to eat anything. I've noticed over the past few months that my mind has become increasingly foggy and sounds and lights have become increasingly harsher. Also there are moments through the day where I get confused for maybe 3 seconds at a time. Just completely disorientating. Oddly enough I have never drank alcohol before noon (well once when I went on a 72 hour bender that ended horribly). I'm the type of guy that abstains until he gets home from work then hits the bottle hard. I've gained a tolerance of about 1 liter of vodka a night (I have no idea if that's a lot all my friends are below 21 so don't really drink). I go through those 1.75 l vodka bottles like soda. I joined this forum because last night I went through most of a full 1.75 l bottle to myself and I know from past experience my withdrawal today is going to be terrible. I know by noon I'm going to have the shakes and I'm worried about going into a seizure (I read about them online).

I don't think I should go to the ER because I'm under 21 and I don't want them to ask me a bunch of questions about why I'm drinking, ect. I think I'm just gonna take the day off work and tough it out. Does anyone have any tips?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll probably feel a lot better if you quit drinking...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You'll probably feel a lot better if you quit drinking...
Oh sorry I'm such a mess even right now, I forgot to add that I'm quiting alcohol for at least the next few months, want to sort some things out sober. I'm just asking if anybody has any tips for the next day or two. Like should I taper off the alcohol, ect, ect. Like, I really am scared I'm going to go into a seizure. I live alone, if I do I don't think anyone will come looking for me.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always found the H.A.L.T. method pretty good.
Take a look and take care as best you can these 4 things.
Hungry?
Angry?
Lonely?
Tired(and/or thirsty)?
When I was craving, eating always took the craving away.
am sure many more will pop in to give you more tips!
My best to you Jack (one of my most favorite names)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should go to the doctor cuz withdrawls can be deadly. Seriously.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always found the H.A.L.T. method pretty good.
Take a look and take care as best you can these 4 things.
Hungry?
Angry?
Lonely?
Tired(and/or thirsty)?
When I was craving, eating always took the craving away.
am sure many more will pop in to give you more tips!
My best to you Jack (one of my most favorite names)
Yea, I have a full bag of doritos by my side. I have this theory that is probably totally wrong but maybe since you get less drunk when you have a full stomach maybe the withdrawals are lessened too if you have a full stomach (stupid logic, don't quote me on that but come on i'm trying to fight a seizure). Thanks for the tip though.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You should go to the doctor cuz withdrawls can be deadly. Seriously.
Yea I know, but since I'm under 21 I don't want them to ask me all these questions about why I'm consuming alcohol as a minor. Could they arrest you for that? I just don't want to be involved in this "big" thing. A 20 year old guy going through severe alcohol withdrawal when the drinking age is 21 would probably arouse a lot of attention there.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nah, there not gonna arrest you... the 'big' thing would be just to keep you well.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can last a lot longer than a day and once your done withdrawing from alcohol the real work begins...staying sober. Do you have a plan on how you are going to accomplish that? For the time being stay hydrated, try to get some rest and most of all get your butt to the hospital if things get rough. Detoxing alone can be deadly.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm really surprised by all the sympathy and support on this forum guys. I know I shouldn't be playing Russian Roulette with my life by detoxing alone but I think I'm just gonna tough it out. I've been reading online about tapering off and I think I'm going to have two oz. of vodka per hour today, that should at least prevent me from going 6 feet under. I definitely know how serious this is guys, that 3 day bender I mentioned in the OP resulted in me collapsing and passing out in the middle of work (wasn't drunk it was the withdrawal). My boss unfortunately didn't buy that excuse and fired me, thought I was drunk on the job.