Notices

Day 5 under the belt!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Thumbs up Day 5 under the belt!

Well, I posted on here on my first day, and I guess I seemed a bit of a wreck. it's day 5 and I am doing better, I can actually sleep again, so that is good. I still know that I am going to get the craving to drink as soon as my ship returns to port tomorrow (Yes, I am in the Navy), so wish me luck pushing this beast back. I decided to inform my command about my problem and talked to my ship's DAPA (Drug and Alcohol Program Assistant) and get set up with a meeting to talk to a SARP (Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Program) counselor. I should hopefully get that pretty soon, I need as much support as I can get. I appreciate all the best wishes on my previous post, I think coming to this site was the right choice. I am starting to feel better already, I just really hope that I can get myself on track and keep myself together this time, I don't want to crack under pressure. It is hard not to drink as a Sailor, it is as much tradition as it is part of the lifestyle.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congartulations Blaizze
If you want to be, I'm sure you can stay a sober sailor

D
Old 02-24-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on five days...Ask your counselor what he thinks about AA...I'd be curious as to what he says.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

I think they would encourage AA, although it is not my cup of tea. No meetings out here in Japan though, at least none that I have found. and thanks for the congrats.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope you find your cup of tea....You're in a good place or it.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand you might think it not your cup of tea, but if you want to go along and check it out, I've known other people here living in Japan who found meetings, so it's not an impossibility Blaizze.

Untitled document

If I find other Recovery methods active in Japan I'll let you know

D
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does the Navy still run an alcoholism treatment center on Treasure Island? A friend of mine (Marine Gunny Sargent) went through that about 32 years ago. Did the AA thing and was able to retire. Stayed active and sober.

Well done on your 5 days.

If you want to use your opportunity to check out AA meetings, use this link... Untitled document

Quite often the larger ships of many different countries will have on board AA meetings, because the alcoholic sailors want to stay comfortably sober.

Enjoy your port of call.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best of luck! Sounds like you are really committed and have a good plan.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your five days. You know, periodic temptations and triggers are definitely a problem. I'm facing Friday night--similar to your ship coming in. I will handle it by staying home and keeping busy. I wonder if you can do that being on ship. What activities do you have for relaxing when you aren't working? Figure that out--or read--but I'll bet you need to be careful about not hanging out with the guys. I know there is a great deal of substance use in the military. How do you plan to differentiate yourself?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome sailor. Thank you for serving this great country!

Best wishes on your journey.

God bless.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Dee74/langkah thanks for the link, I didn't realize there was AA meetings held directly down the street from where I am stationed, maybe I just didn't look hard enough before because I didn't want to find them . I will possibly peruse a meeting; I don't fully agree with the 12 steps, but it is still worth a look. Also, Langkah, I am unsure about the meetings you are referring to, but the Navy does still have various treatment programs available for it's members.
Missy, thank you. The periodic temptations are the worst. My biggest problem was I drank alone, most nights, while at home. So with my ship pulling in to home port today. I have to overcome the urge to drink where my habit was the strongest. But I will do what I have been meaning to do for a while now. Get back into meditation, and maybe play some Guitar. Afterward, I think a night of hot tea and TV or Xbox to unwind. Then it will be back out to sea in the morning >_<. As far as staying busy on the ship, I always have non-drinking friends that I can go out with, to find activities that aren't bar related in other countries.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Marine friend I mentioned didn't drink for 8 months on his own, a very tough guy. After the 8 months staying dry was working so well that he hung himself in his garage one morning with a dog leash. His drunk wife who hated his guts found him hanging unconcious and for some reason decided to cut him down. He went from the hospital to the TI treatment program and began his recovery in AA. Still carries the scar on his forehead from hitting the cement floor.

There's not drinking, and then there's staying comfortably sober. One's not the same as the other.

Just some additional info in case you find yourself getting a little...agitated.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Firstly, thank you for your service. Second, even if it isn't your cup of tea just give it a try. It wasn't my cup of tea either but I have made some awesome friends there. Even if you don't agree with the steps just go to be around sober people and listen to them talk. It really does help.