Notices

Doctor who cured himself with baclofen

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor who cured himself with baclofen

I know its an sold tory.

Just wondering how many success stories are on it. I took it pretty quickly b/c its like a decades only supersafe drug. Tired as hell

But in a week Ihad no cravings to drink.

His book was END of m Addiction its a few old with baclofen. Just seemed like a miracle and how many people are sober now because of it?

Its prescription only and the book I am not promoting I got it on amazonforlik $4
Just turns off the part of the brain that craves things. There'sgot to be a ton of people here that have tried it intead of keeping poisoning themselves

I figured Id die in a year, might as well give it a shot and it worked
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bill

Welcome - I'm really glad you've found something that works for you.
I'm glad you stopped short of recommending it tho because only a Dr can do that.

My experience was a little different.

I tried it for something else and the side effects and withdrawal were pretty bad - I wouldn't recommend it.

I encourage everyone to see their Doctor before starting any meds or supplements.

D
Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, bill. Welcome to SR! I've heard a hundreds of success stories here, but don't recall any involving a miraculous little pill. Commitment, effort, support—those seem to be the cures I hear about most. Good for you if it works, tho. Have you ever tried a program, like AA or SMART Recovery? You'll find a lot of great ideas and support here; this site has been a pillar of my program.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's prescription only.My doctor just wrote out the max script for 80mg.

I've quit a few times b/c its kind of a pain to take 3 times a day, but when I skip doses. I can feel the cravings for just one nice cool beer with sweat dripping down the cold mug lol.
Thats when I know I need to take my dose.

I was more interested in people at least as desparate as I was, if theyd tried it (by doctor use of course). There's a doctor that prescribes and does appointments all over the country. I wont name his name because there's another forum that discusses their successes with it and it just turned into an infomercial for the doctor and most of the cool people left in search of other boards where more chat can take place.
Like their effects or side effects and successes. There's some really good sciene on it on this little board I wont name

But just curious ata bigboards take on it.I knew a guy and its exceeedly rare but had a seizure because in the hospital they took him off of it abruptly. Thats the only bad story I heard really. You get withdrawals just likealcohol

Again not medical advice, just other experiences
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Hi, bill. Welcome to SR! I've heard a hundreds of success stories here, but don't recall any involving a miraculous little pill. Commitment, effort, support—those seem to be the cures I hear about most. Good for you if it works, tho. Have you ever tried a program, like AA or SMART Recovery? You'll find a lot of great ideas and support here; this site has been a pillar of my program.
Yeah, I did the 100 meetings in a 100 days AA thing I hate them, depressing, smells like stale coffee and cigarettes.The recovery besides the pill that turns off the craving center of the brain shown on the pet scan imagin. Is to spend that hour not in AA but at the gym lol.

I cant sit around and talk about alcohol in person, met some creepy people too. AA never wil do that again Besides, I read the AA research on success and its identical to alcoholic who spontaneously quit on their own witn no metings. So no scientific benefit to my scientific mind. Probably helps those who need social interaction that we lack when even our hard core drinking buddies stop hanging with us because were to much of a drunk to hang out with lol.

Ahh, sleepiness his chat later
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

whatever works for you friend! my experience was very different. my addiction affected every aspect of my being and requires a treatment that addresses the physical, psychological, and spiritual. my recovery is a full time job of AA, Buddhist practice, exercise, counseling... if I neglect any component for long I start feeling horribly out of whack.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Baclofen can be helpful to some people, but like Dee said, a lot of people have pretty rough side effects and it needs to be tapered slowly because of a risk of a withdrawal syndrome much like that of benzodiazepines and alcohol.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Baclofen is not supersafe for everyone nor is it supersafe. Glad it works for you.

For what it's worth, that AA research is not valid. It's another person's opinion, basically.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by billdoolittle View Post
Yeah, I did the 100 meetings in a 100 days AA thing I hate them, depressing, smells like stale coffee and cigarettes.
Interesting, they used to say that cliche in the 90's when they allowed smoking in some of the rooms. I can't say that I've heard of a meeting where smoking is allowed anywhere in many years. Portland is as anti-smoking as Seattle. Whatever, though, only you can choose how sick you want to be.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
Baclofen can be helpful to some people, but like Dee said, a lot of people have pretty rough side effects and it needs to be tapered slowly because of a risk of a withdrawal syndrome much like that of benzodiazepines and alcohol.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!

A magic little pill that can (if withdrawal is like Benzos or alcohol.....YIKES!!!!!!)make you ill or kill you.......

Also, that description of AA, in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, over 14 years, is horsepucky.......JMO

Rex
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The smell of stale beer and cigarettes never kept me out of the bar .......

Best of luck to you bill.

Bob R
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
The smell of stale beer and cigarettes never kept me out of the bar .......

Best of luck to you bill.

Bob R
You got DAT RIGHT.......LOL

Rex
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
whatever works for you friend! my experience was very different. my addiction affected every aspect of my being and requires a treatment that addresses the physical, psychological, and spiritual. my recovery is a full time job of AA, Buddhist practice, exercise, counseling... if I neglect any component for long I start feeling horribly out of whack.

Yeah, well,too much scrap to do, Id have to retire to that
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by billdoolittle View Post
Yeah, well,too much scrap to do, Id have to retire to that

Drinking never cost you any time?

Gee, you are one of the lucky ones then.....

For me it was almost a full time job in itself.

Rex
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
All three gaba agonists, alcohol, valium/xanax, or baclofen cancause over exitabilitity in the GABA system. The gold standard for alcohol withdrawl is a valium. Now its proven scientifically baclofen is just as effective.

Its a GABA B agonist, the only one according to the NIH has susceptibility for abuse, unlike GABA A agonists like alcohol and benzos like valium. Science not option.

Tens of thousands to maybe one experience alcohool benzo withdrawal and been used since the 60s as a"qualify of life drug" which meets the lowest standard of danger by the FDA. It is statistically much safert than aspirin and far safer than tylenol. Im not here to argue science thoug, just wondering why people keep themselves in a state ofperpetual despair, depressioin with a suicide rate that s 5000% higher than the general population.

It at least should be looked at it. I dont need AA stories again. Pop my pill go on with my lif, no yoga, strestching, just life wightsand cardio. A normal life like m wife
Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rexfiles View Post
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANK YOU!!!!!

A magic little pill that can (if withdrawal is like Benzos or alcohol.....YIKES!!!!!!)make you ill or kill you.......

Also, that description of AA, in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, over 14 years, is horsepucky.......JMO

Rex
According to the NIH, national institutes of health, that is, no absolute no ptential for abuse.. Just stops cravings

You want to crave alcohol or drugs all your life, be my guest, destro your family in the process of a selfish disease b/c you dont becelieve in a magic pill that science proves is correctt. No flames ere. just a retort
Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Bill,

I posted about this a few times. Doesn't seem like the folks here like to admit that yes, a pill can cure some people. It worked for me, that's for sure. I just got back from an international business trip where everyone was drinking. I stuck to diet coke. And, I have been sober (total abstinence) since last June. I am calmer, no more cravings, anxiety, sweating. And I am at my target weight. So my long winded message is "each their own" If it works for you that's what matters. You don't need anyones affirmation here. So Congrats!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That is great it works for you: why not try to show a little tolerance for the methods and programs that others use that didn't appeal to you?
SR has the full spectrum of people who found success in dozens of ways and the best kind of support here is support people show for programs that we may not even use ourselves.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rexfiles View Post
Drinking never cost you any time?

Gee, you are one of the lucky ones then.....

For me it was almost a full time job in itself.

Rex

You must be reading from other thread,Id puke gren and drink from sun to sudown.If there ever was a guy who wanted to turn their brain f it was me.

I lost my drinking buddies b/c i was too much of a drunk to hange with

you dont know what I went through,and then I ook bclofen for a week way hihger b/c Iwas going to kill myself and I didnt give affect about side efets. I can **** and moan about upset tummy or this and that. When you have a rope around your neck you dont give a shi abou sie effects
Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know, my brain says don't do it......but you sound like a salesman for the company.

and if you knew ANYThing about AA

It's 90 meetings in 90 days, not 100/100.

Could not figure out where you got that from, plus, have not smelled cigarette smoke in a meeting over the last fourteen years.

I will stick with my scientifically deduced horsepucky conclusion.

And no, you will never be like your wife. She is not an alcoholic. You said you are, that if you miss a dose you crave......WTF is normal about that.

I apologize to the other members here, and I may be unduly confrontational, but if I sense my chain being jerked, I jerk back.

Especially if I smell a rat.

Of course, this could all be true, I personally just don't think the "whole truth" is on display here.

Rex