Notices

Thought life was supposed to get better...

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought life was supposed to get better...

I have been sober 54 days now, and I had believed that life gets better...I guess my life is the exception to the rule. When I first became sober, I had pretty bad detox, so I went on the second day to a walk in clinic, just to have the doctor see whether I was alright, blood pressure etc ok...I fessed up to everything, he gave me a few Valium, I finished my detox at home, and thought that would be that. Well, things have snow balled. The doctor sent DMV a report saying I was had a seizure, I have been pretty well harassed by my new doctor threatening that if I dont do rehab, she will declare me a danger to myself and others...and yesterday I received notification that my driving licence is now revoked, until I prove 6 months on anti seizure prescription, which the doctor today refused, because I dont have epilepsy, and dont require anti seizure medicine. I cannot get to work, there is no public transportation, way too far to ride a bike...cant drive to see the kids or bring them to school..Seems getting sober has just kicked me in the butt..I wish i had never gone to a Doctor for Withdrawals...the lawyer doesn't think he can help either, he cant go against a doctors opinion...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Can you appeal and request an eval by a state approved doctor?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life didn't get much easier for me either LE, & I also had mountain of stuff from my drinking to sort out, so I sympathise.

From what I read here I think you need to talk to your new Dr and explain the problem and then do the same with the DMV people, or somehow get your new Dr to speak to the old one.

sometimes you have to be a little irritating to get things sorted out.
D
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whenever I got sober for any length of time, the reality I had so long been trying outrun, and the carnage along with it, would catch up, and chomp down right on my butt.

Two miles into the woods, two miles out.

Stay strong and sober, sooner or later a ray of sun will peek through

Experience talking here, trust.

Rex
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
I have been sober 54 days now, and I had believed that life gets better...I guess my life is the exception to the rule. When I first became sober, I had pretty bad detox, so I went on the second day to a walk in clinic, just to have the doctor see whether I was alright, blood pressure etc ok...I fessed up to everything, he gave me a few Valium, I finished my detox at home, and thought that would be that. Well, things have snow balled. The doctor sent DMV a report saying I was had a seizure, I have been pretty well harassed by my new doctor threatening that if I dont do rehab, she will declare me a danger to myself and others...and yesterday I received notification that my driving licence is now revoked, until I prove 6 months on anti seizure prescription, which the doctor today refused, because I dont have epilepsy, and dont require anti seizure medicine. I cannot get to work, there is no public transportation, way too far to ride a bike...cant drive to see the kids or bring them to school..Seems getting sober has just kicked me in the butt..I wish i had never gone to a Doctor for Withdrawals...the lawyer doesn't think he can help either, he cant go against a doctors opinion...
Are you going to meetings? Got a sponsor?

Bob R.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My life in early recovery was much worse than when I was using. I have often said that I hit my bottom in recovery--not while I was using.

It does get better. But you are dealing with a lot of things that you put to the side while in active addiction--and that is hard. And all the people who were comfortable dealing with you as "that loser" often will not be happy dealing with a healthier you.

But stick with it and it WILL get better. Frustrating as it is now, I think you know that ultimately you will come out of this in better shape than when you were using.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

So sorry to hear that, I'll certainly remeber what not to say to my doctor. Please dont drink because of this, it would only make things worse.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You know the old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day? In fact it took centuries. But when the Visigoths sacked Rome, it took them just three days to plunder the city and leave it in ruins.

My point is that it's relatively easy to destroy something, but building (and rebuilding) requires much more time. I think Dee is right: this is a huge hassle, but it's one you can correct with persistence and patience. In the meantime, you are alive and you are sober. And because of that, tomorrow you will be one day closer to fixing this.

I've never been to Rome, but I hear it's once again a beautiful city. It just takes time.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Did the doctor witness a seizure?

Time to stay stopped and clean up this situation!! You can do it!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

my life got worse, then way worse, then a little better, then a lot better. my health and life didn't get turned to shambles overnight and it wasn't going to get better overnight either. but one thing is 100% guaranteed, if i drink and do drugs i have zero chance of things ever getting better.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry to hear you're being put through the wringer like that. It does get better but it often takes a while. There's a lot of feedback on this very topic in this thread : http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...g-wont-do.html

I hope it all works out for you, I know it can seem like a losing battle at times. Often it takes making a lot of wrong choices to figure out what the right ones are. Stay strong and never give up the fight.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't let this destroy everything that you have accomplished in the past 54 days,Take a deep breath and continue on.There are always other alternatives available out there.Seach them out there is also alot of people who can and will help you out.As you can see by the replies on your post there are alot of great people in SR who also care very deeply.Hang in there and things will get much better.I wish you the best.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I was told that life is ten times better sober but when I first got sober it wasn't. Ok I felt physically better and mentally clearer but the rubbish was e-still there. Then I realized that there were 2 parts to it. Firstly, the rubbish was there when I was drunk or sober but being sober made it more prominent whereas drunk, I used to ignore it or numb it. Secondly, life is just life sometimes it's bad sometimes good. I think it is a myth that suddenly life will be wonderful sober because life isn't always wonderful and to think it will be-well it's setting us up for disappointment. I don't mean it's better drunk, don't get me wrong. What I realize now is that it is easier to deal with things sober, but deal with them we must. I think, in time, it will get much better, but as a pp says, Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To Losteverything- You say you have been sober 54 days. How long did you use your substance? I'll bet it was far longer than 54 days. It takes time and effort to get ourselves out of the hole, or in some cases, graves, we spent years digging. Don't believe anyone who says the road ahead will be easy, but DO believe that you can succeed!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Meow

Wow. Things must really be different in Canada. Isn't it a huge violation of patient privacy rights for the doctor to report something like that to the DMV? Is it illegal in Canada to have a seizure? Something doesn't seem right. I'd get some different legal advice if I were you - a lawyer can't go against doctors advice? Seriously?

Congrats on your 54 days - don't let this set you back!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This seems odd. Maybe fact check the actual law. Perhaps she has to report anyone she prescribes anti-seizure meds to regardless of whether it was preventative, for treatment, or detox. If you don't have seizures, using this reporting and trying to force you into treatment is not ethical. If you don't have legal avenues, then you may be able to file a complaint with your doctors medical board.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That really sucks. It's important to take action on things you can handle and participate in your recovery. It sounds like there are some major challenges but nothing you can't overcome with the right amount of energy and effort. It's unfair, but you can make it right if you don't be a victim.

At 30 days I was at a great speakers meeting on a Friday night after work and came home to the power being shutoff for non-payment.

At about 40 days I got an eviction notice since I took a month off work and hadn't received my short-term disability check yet.

At 45 days my wife found out about my "girlfriend" (a woman I texted "inappropriately" to many months before).

At 60 days I was in court for DUI and told to expect jail or house arrest. I couldn't afford a lawyer and didn't qualify for public defender.

-->>fast forward 60 more days:
power was back on
worked out a payment plan for rent and it was paid current
was still working on relationship with wife
represented myself in court -was scolded and intimidated by the judge for doing so. I did my homework and research and received the deferred judgement I was going for.

Things started getting much better after six months - I'd call it amazing.

Thing is, the momentum of our former life keeps going even when we stop using.

I also stopped being a victim and took control of those things I could handle with confidence.

Work hard at it, my friend. You've got some obstacles but you can make it and a better life is there for you.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
Wow. Things must really be different in Canada. Isn't it a huge violation of patient privacy rights for the doctor to report something like that to the DMV? Is it illegal in Canada to have a seizure? Something doesn't seem right. I'd get some different legal advice if I were you - a lawyer can't go against doctors advice? Seriously?

Congrats on your 54 days - don't let this set you back!
Agreed! I don't get political here very often but this is why people need to wake up and start taking civil liberties and privacy seriously. Well....at least what little we have left.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This is why I tell people to try and stay out of the social service system. It is chock full of zealots in recovery who will do anything in their power to dish out 'tough love' in order to funnel you into treatment against your will. They'll use anything you care for against you, including, but not limited to, your driver's license, your professional license, your children, and even your life as in the case of organ donation to do this.

My advice is first and foremost never to drink, since it is risky business, and far more so now that they have you branded. You want to get a good old-fashioned doctor, preferably a bible-thumper who views addiction as sin, to give you a second opinion. So, start doctor shopping. Ask them two questions:

1. Do you believe in addictive disease?

2. Are you, or is anyone in your family, in recovery from addiction?

If the answer to either is 'yes', move on. Once you find a suitable doctor who won't push you into treatment, have them re-send a diagnosis to the DMV explaining that you don't actually need seizure medication.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I'm curious how you know this doctor is 'in recovery'. nowhere in the op does it say that.