Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do I explain to my friends that I am not drinking anymore?

Notices

How do I explain to my friends that I am not drinking anymore?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

You can play all kinds of games and provide all kinds of excuses but if you are really interested in long term recovery, make that your priority. Spend your time and energy focusing on the quality of your life and how you can improve it and let the others say or do whatever they want. The less you worry about it, the less of an issue it becomes.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I like what tom says.
The more honest you are up front the less likely you will have to deal with crap from friends down the road. MY closest friend here surprised me but not seeming to care that I "needed a break" when I told him. He has not seemed to give my not drinking a second thought. It has been a couple of weeks since I told him I was going on the wagon. Last night he asked me when I was going to start drinking again that he was bored drinking alone. I simply said that I didn't plan on starting again and that ended the conversation. Yes he has just as big a problem with alcohol as I do. I am not sure how our friendship will turn out as my being sober is more important to me than any relationship with him is.
I am starting to believe that if you play games you will have to deal with the subject longer than if you are as upfront as you can be in the beginning.
Good Luck
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I like what tom says.
The more honest you are up front the less likely you will have to deal with crap from friends down the road. MY closest friend here surprised me but not seeming to care that I "needed a break" when I told him. He has not seemed to give my not drinking a second thought. It has been a couple of weeks since I told him I was going on the wagon. Last night he asked me when I was going to start drinking again that he was bored drinking alone. I simply said that I didn't plan on starting again and that ended the conversation. Yes he has just as big a problem with alcohol as I do. I am not sure how our friendship will turn out as my being sober is more important to me than any relationship with him is.
I am starting to believe that if you play games you will have to deal with the subject longer than if you are as upfront as you can be in the beginning.
Good Luck
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great thread Kallum,
Yeah its a hard one, i've told pals b4 and they just say "wise up man sure u dont drink that much" if only they really knew the full story. Me and some off my closest friends have talked about kicking booze b4 so hopefully when i get a bit of time under my belt it will be as easy as telling everyone that i dont drink anymore, i dont wanna say this ontil i get serious sober time as i slipped so many times b4 and people just think ur talkin crap again. Good luck and thanks for bringing this to the table
Old 02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

You'll find out who the real friends are when you tell them. Congratulations on the no drinking and good luck with telling them.