Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Question about the philosphies of AA - Because I really need it

Notices

Question about the philosphies of AA - Because I really need it

Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Terminally Unique:
If "nothing works" then why am I here? And why are you here after your success with AVRT? Thus we must go to the first alternative, of optimism, that all "methods" are equally effective. If reliance exclusively on "counseling" is a "method" then I have concluded from 30 years of empirical experimentation that it was totally ineffective in my case. And as for statistics, I am not part of the statistical base since no one ever followed up to see how I was doing. Finally, I have encountered many many persons who recovered from alcoholism so cannot believe that "nothing works". Of course they could all have been liars and I also could be a liar. This brings us to the famous logical paradox. "The Cretan said, 'All Cretans are liars'. Was he too a liar?"

W.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Everything works the same? Nothing works? Commmmon. In my opinion what works is being proven right here, day after day on this forum. That is, that one drunk helping another drunk helps to keep us sober. Bill W. found that out in 1935 and its been happening in one form or another, continually, ever since.

As long as you don’t have an ax to grind. As long as you’re not promoting something that will exclude another beneficial approach to someone, it’s good. In my mind that’s a spiritual thing, regardless what anyone might call it. And it helps all of us.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

duplicate
Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
If "nothing works" then why am I here? And why are you here after your success with AVRT?
Personally, I've concluded that nothing works except actually quitting. Does AVRT work? I don't know if I would say that. Certainly, I use it, and I stay abstinent, but I could just as easily decide to stop using it, and get drunk instead. If I did the latter, would that mean that AVRT doesn't work? I don't think it would. The onus is on me. I can use the technique, or not.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Everything works the same? Nothing works? Commmmon.
That's what $25 million worth of federal government research says. One approach, whether it is AA, REBT, or any other treatment method applied to addictions, is equally effective — or ineffective — as any other. The only truly common thread among those who successfully kick their addictions is that they actually wanted to do so. In other words, addiction is not 'treatable' by anyone except the addict.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
The onus is on me. I can use the technique, or not.
No truer words for me.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The one thing that all treatment methods having abstinence as the goal have in common is: that the individual stop ingesting ethanol. The rest is just wrapping.

I know that some may need more than to just stop . . . but regardless, they must at some point stop killing themselves with alcohol.