Notices

Hi all, newcomer here

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, newcomer here

Don't really know how to do this, but anywhere, here goes..

I'm a binge drinker. I don't need alcohol every day, can go weeks without, but once I taste beer i cannot stop. Always drinking 'till the place closes, even on weeknights. This has cost me a few jobs (showing up late the day after a binge, if at all).

A month ago I started my first real education (marine engineering), after having been out of work and struggling with a depression for almost two years. This is what gets me up every morning (almost) and I love it so far.. Problem is, already a month in I started skipping days because I got drunk at the bar the night before. A lot of my friends frequent the same bar, and it's also the one we go to after band practice, I've been going there for the last 9-10 years, maybe two/three times a week on average. That same bar was my only social outlet apart from the band for the duration of my depression, I received a lot of support and help there.

Anyway, that was a bit about me.. It's a little weird admitting these things to complete strangers, but I guess it's easier than doing it in front of friends.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Kallum. I know you'll find it helpful to be here - this is a great place with plenty of encouragement and positive advice.

I found it easier to talk to people here - my own friends & family were social drinkers who never got carried away like I did. They didn't understand why I couldn't have one or two. For me, the binge drinking eventually led to daily drinking. Our tolerance for it grows as time goes on. I think it's wise to consider stopping all together, since it's unpredictabe what will happen when you pick up. We're here for you Kallum - you can do this.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kallum...My last two years i was a binge drinker too...Seven days a week. I suffered from depression too...Which I have now found out was caused by my drinking. There are a lot of good people here that have stopped drinking from different recovery programs and methods...Take a look around and feel to ask any questions you have....Or just come on here and vent. It's great to spill your guts to people that have been there and done that.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you are getting education in the field you like. That's great!

I found that I had to make a lot of changes in early recovery in order for it to work. I had to remove some people from my life and change my activities. I wasn't able to be around people who were drinking for quite awhile.

I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome to SR Kallum. I know you'll find it helpful to be here - this is a great place with plenty of encouragement and positive advice.

I found it easier to talk to people here - my own friends & family were social drinkers who never got carried away like I did. They didn't understand why I couldn't have one or two. For me, the binge drinking eventually led to daily drinking. Our tolerance for it grows as time goes on. I think it's wise to consider stopping all together, since it's unpredictabe what will happen when you pick up. We're here for you Kallum - you can do this.
That part is especially true for my situation, there have been episodes where i actually did not want to drink (at a party or just a couple of friends getting together), but was talked/pressured into drinking because, well, I'm the funny guy that drinks a lot. If I told people that I didn't want to drink they would just laugh and shrug.

Just go home earlier. Stop after 3 beers. Never drink after 10pm on weeknights.

Sounds easy, but my brain functions in a completely different way when i've had a few.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!