Notices

First day

Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day

Today is my first day sober. Last week after a long night of drinking on my way to work I vomited on the train. I wanted to think i got sick for so many other reasons that weren't the truth. That I was making my self sick by drinking and that I have a problem that I can not control. So today after waking up with another debilitating hangover late to another workout and feeling sick the whole time I was working out. I realized i was at my bottom that I had no where to go from where I was.
I've been in the know of my problems with alcohol for a while and have reached out to friends for help. Once a sober friend said that I must feel so ashamed. And to be honest ......no I don't. What I feel ashamed of is the things I have done when I was drunk the blackouts I have had and the running I have been doing, from all types of things. From life. I have so many stories. And as I recover it will feel great to un pack them one by one here.
Thanks and hope you all are well tonight!
Happy sobriety!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Rise - it's great to have you here with us. We look forward to hearing more of your story when you feel ready.

I drank for many years and it colored everything I did. It's in the looking back that I see it - at the time it seemed like so much fun & a great escape from monotony. I coudn't have been more wrong than to build my life around it. Thankfully, you've seen the light. Be proud, not ashamed. Let us know how it's going, Rise.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you hevyn, I'm really happy that this place exists! It's good to know we're all supporting each other
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to have you here Rise....You've come to the right place.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Welcome Rise! Google the song "I Will Rise"..It starts out with the line; "I will rise out of these ashes..rise...from the trouble I've found".....

It helps me
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice, honest, post. Feels good doesn't it?

I remember when I first came here...how it felt so good to relieve some of my burden to the community here...no one here even blinks when they read this stuff!

You're not alone and you can do this.

I quit a little over 8 months ago.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are all just pilgrims on a path, Rise. Welcome - let's all stay the course together.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rise! You are in a great place here.

And...I love that song too! I thought of it when I saw your name. Make sure you hear it.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Rise, good to have you here where you will find great support and good people.

Your post made me think of that saying-when you are down on your knees, the only way you can go is up.
wishing you all good things, Rise!

hugs
chicory
Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rise. I'm currently on Day 4 but I'm feeling strong. I too have many years colored by alcohol. It's absurd, isn't it?

It's so hard to realize that we are different from others. Period. But you sound pretty competent and maybe the two things go hand in hand. I do think the alcoholic personality is awfully competent. Perhaps the alcoholic personality, once recovered, is an advantage...we'll see...both of us.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm hoping so missy! Recently I feel as if I've been using to erase my feelings good bad whatever. Probably just covering up stress. But I've been so high functioning for years while drinking heavily it was hard to admit it was a real problem. But we can do this! It's really just on day at a time. Because I have no idea what tomorrow will be like but I feel positive to day and hope it caries through till tomorrow and I can remember each day what today felt like. And thanks steppin I will check out that song
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

How ya doing Rise? You are in my thoughts tonight. I hope you got to check out the song and I hope more to hear you are doing GREAT!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for checking in. I couldn't find the song but tonight is a hard one because my husband drinks a lot too and he picked up a 12 pack?!? So I'm still just having soda and hope I just go to bed with out a drink tonight....
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Well you have the right idea in mind! I hope you stayed strong I can't imagine the torture of having drink around...yet. We can not chage our surroundings or what life throws our way BUT WE CAN control/change how we react/reacted to it You can do this Rise!!!