Notices

Recovery

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

Ok, so I've given up booze for lent. The next forty days I am not worried about seeing as it's something I've committed to with a (non-alcoholic) friend and I have cut my drinking down so much that I'm hoping that withdrawals should be minimal. It does seem that most people suggest that some sort of recovery program is necessary though and seeing as I have been drinking every day for 12 years I think I won't be an exception.

Any suggestions where I should start? AA is a problem for for religious reasons (the lent thing is just a gimmick for us in this case) and I'd rather not attend meetings as my work is quite public in the area I live. I can read forever though so any good books on the subject would be good... I do feel like I should commit to something though, but can I do that without going to meetings?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Any suggestions where I should start? AA is a problem for religious reasons and I'd rather not attend meetings as my work is quite public in the area I live. I can read forever though so any good books on the subject would be good...
Get the book "Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" by Jack Trimpey. It describes an aggressive method of self-recovery that can be learned from reading alone - no meetings required.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA is not so much about religion as it is spirituality, if that makes any sense. I can honestly say that working the 12 steps is really saving my ass right now, and surrounding myself with positive people who don't use drugs or drink. Keep yourself busy, start working out and finding new hobbies. IF your WD get too bad, consider going to the hospital to be medically cleared. I had to go to the hospital for 2 days before going to Detox because I needed that rapid withdrawal.

Don't stop on day 40 either, keep going, if you can make it that long, you can make it one extra day. Just take things day by day and keep a positive attitude. When you feel like having that drink, replace it with some coffee, or Zen Tea- I find that stuff really helps curtail my cravings and even calms me down a lot.

Pick up this book, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, and the Alcoholics Anonymous book. It has some great motivational reading and really has helped me out. '

Best of luck to you! Don't give up, Never give up
Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

aa isnt a religion thing, at all. read the book and find out.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetodrink View Post
aa isnt a religion thing, at all. read the book and find out.
Is the book 'The Big Book'? I have no problem reading about AA and I have a great respect for religion but I can't apply it to me, or any kind of spirituality really. I'm a fan of CBT and any kind of mind reprogramming, but mine is quite deep routed so I know I will have to work hard on it.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

like TU suggested RR might be good for you - there are other non 12 step approaches too like SMART and LifeRing etc

Check out the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

D
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR hypocondriac. This is a wonderful place for encouragement and hope. You can break that 12 year habit & have a whole new life. We're here to listen and help.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by hypochondriac
Any suggestions where I should start? AA is a problem for for religious reasons (the lent thing is just a gimmick for us in this case)...
I understand kinda. I too chose to work an addiction treatment that is secular. AA is not religious per say but AA's spiritual program is to religious in nature for me.

Originally Posted by hypochondriac
I'm a fan of CBT and any kind of mind reprogramming, but mine is quite deep routed so I know I will have to work hard on it.
Check out the resources bellow. They are based on psychology.

SMART Tools and SMART Articles
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Recovery Tools Recovery Resources from cbtrecovery.com
DBT Life Skills For Emotional Health
Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. By Jack Trimpey. (Google book preview including the Addiction Voice Recognition Technique or the AVRT)

And if your interested in AA's Big Book or the 12 and 12, have a look.

AA Books
Alcoholics Anonymous : Click on the Book You Would Like to Read

Hope to see you around the site here and best wishes in living your life free from addiction, it is well worth it