Notices

Day one a failure

Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one a failure

Hi,
First post here after searching net for somewhere for support. Anyway went to see me doctor last week after deciding ive had enough of drinking. I have drank everday for at least two years and have always been a heavy drinker. I drink on average 8 500ml cans of beer a night. I was advised not to stop cold turkey because it could be dangerous and to try and reduce the amount i drink. Problem is when i start i dont know when to stop so decided today would be the day i just stopped completely. Felt quite positive until about an hour ago when i got the urge and just jumped up and drove to the local shop. Im now on my second beer and dont think ive ever felt lower. Is there any tips or advice anyone can help who has been through this as i just dont feel like i can do it alone.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I am a binge drinker as well so I know the feeling. I don't crave alcohol per se but get one drop in me and it's all over with. I won't stop until I'm passed out.

Have a cup of coffee instead. I've realize that replacing a glass of wine or beer with it helps. It's not to late to put the beer down and brew yourself a cup.

I am new here and one thing I realized real quick is that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply. Yeah thats the problem, i already know that ill be drinking all those beers tonight and feel awful again tomorrow. Doesnt help ive just come out of an 8 year relationship and am unhappy at work. I know its just an excuse but it feels like theres nothing else to do. Ah, well tomorrows another day.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owington View Post
Hi,
i just dont feel like i can do it alone.
Welcome...Sorry about the rough start....If you don't feel like you can do this alone....Then don't. Get your phone book out and get to an AA meeting...Be with people that know how to stop and stay stopped and want to help you do it. Not crazy about the medical advice you got...Were you honest with your doctor about how much you drank?....If you're like me...Probably not. Pour out the beer you have and don't get any more...Go to a meeting say you are new and you want some help....You'll get it. And if you feel really bad the next few days...Get to a doctor....And tell him the truth...That's the best advice I can give you.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah, i was completely honest with the doctor. I am supposed to see a councillor but am still waiting for the appointment to come through. The doctor did say they would try nd put me in touch with some kind of support group but am not sure id feel comfortable in a situation like that. I guess I should give it a go before dismissing it. Thanks for your reply
Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No problem...Enjoy your beers....
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first day was supposed to be Jan 1st, but I couldn't do it. But I did do it on Jan 2nd, found SR and that's been very helpful to me. You need to get yourself some kind of outside help, don't try to do it on your own. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owington View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yeah thats the problem, i already know that ill be drinking all those beers tonight and feel awful again tomorrow. Doesnt help ive just come out of an 8 year relationship and am unhappy at work. I know its just an excuse but it feels like theres nothing else to do. Ah, well tomorrows another day.
For what's it worth...I almost carried that mantra to the grave.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello,
Dont worry ur not alone, I could never stop till all the **** was gone, but as u say tomorrow is a new day, U could prob do wit few Libruim or something for first few days, try drinkin hot choc or something else sweet, i'd mayb try stay of the tea and coffee late in the evening as the sleep wit be rough enough first week, try get sweating also, gym or sauna it always helps me speed up getting it outa system.I'm only on day 18 again, never got past 50 days b4 but hopefully this time since i found here, its great for tips, another tip i got from someone here was to start keeping a diary of how u feeling each day, looking bk on the first few days off and how terrible i felt helps me days when i get tempted. good luck wit it
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
So it goes

Owington you are in UK , ring the AA helpline
0845 769 7555
Old 02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome owington

I really encourage you to find another Dr, preferably one with experience in the area of alcoholism.

If you can't find one yourself maybe it's a good idea to follow up with the counselling - they may be able to point you in the right direction for local resources.

Botom line is it's not easy to give up the drink - it's uncomfortable and it's much easier to just jump up and go down the shop.

But things don't get any better that way - they get worse. Trust me - I've been there.
The sooner you can commit to quitting the better it will be for you.

Support really helped me - I really hope you'll keep an open mind about counselling and recovery groups.

D
Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Binge queen here Owington. If you must "wean," buy two cans at a time each day for a week. Don't have eight in the house. But regardless, don't beat yourself up over tomorrow being Day One. How many last days have there been? And maybe it's only Day One once there are 30 or 90 or 180. All the others are just attempts.

Who is supporting you in your physical life as you try this?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys, just woke up ready for work and feel awful. Im really gonna give it a go today and give it 100%. Ill keep you all informed and thanks for the support.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

At least you made it there.....Good luck tonight.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang tough.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

It's an addiction. There are cycles within cycles. Alcohol will not give up without a fight. I used to be a scout "be prepared"
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Try writing down every drink to keep yourself accountable. Addiction is addiction. If worst comes to worst, check into a hospital. They'll take care of you.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Also, today is another day one for me. I'm hungover, exhausted, don't remember cooking dinner last night and know my husband knows i've been drinking again. I wanna be honest but i'm so scared.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Many have found tapering is not possible for them. Yes detoxing can be dangerous. Going through it under the care of a doctor familiar with such is often a more realistic option than weaning on your own.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good luck today. Try to find something other then alcohol to sooth you. Try yerba mate tea, it really has a great soothing effect. And do something nice for your self like a nice pice of cake or your favorite at home dinner. If you do nice things for yourself like this it's a little easier it's what I did latest night and it worked and I'll try again tonight. Have a great day! And don't give up. Their is no solution to any problem at the end of any bottle.