Notices

Opinions on Outpatient Programs

Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opinions on Outpatient Programs

Went to the therapist and she gave me two locations to consider. One is a flat ten weeks. The other is variable and would depend upon an evaluation.

The ten weeks includes three nights a week and two AA meetings in addition. I know the group doesn't like to hear this, but that might be too much time for me--literally. I work well over forty hours a week and drive an hour a day. And I've been tired a lot lately.

Anyway, I am going to go to an evaluation I guess and see what they say. The insurance is good.

Tell me guys, does this work? At the end, will I feel like I can do this?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience but I'm glad you're looking at options Missy

As far as putting the time in - I always said I didn't have time, and eventually I lost all the things that were dear to me anyway - career, friends, lovers...so do make the time as much as you possibly can.

I think a lot of us are over balanced in one direction or another.

Balance is very important - and learning that the world won't explode, people won't die and things will still be ok if you let go of things a little was a great lesson for me to learn

D
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been through three rehabs, if you really, really, really want to stop then the rehab might help. if you are going against your will then probably not, just my 2 cents
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first IOP resulted in six continuos years of sobriety. Of course coupled with AA (NEVER missed a meeting for my first four and a half years), counseling, and medication. That was in 1997.

My second, in 2009, came up with five months, Missed many meetings, no counseling, same meds.

Probably my best success has been AA, and listening more than I talked.

Rex
Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I personally am not a fan of IOPs. In my experience they cater to those who are trying to stay in compliance with the courts system and most have very little time dedicated to actual recovery.

Having said that, I too am required to do IOP for that very reason (now just once a month). In the beginning it's very time consuming- and that's part of the plan. My commute to work alone is 90 minutes each way so with IOP my day started at 6am and I didn't get home until 9 or 10pm.

Frankly, I have never heard any first hand accounts where IOP helped anyone get sober.

I checked into in-patient treatment about an hour's drive north of you and that was a big help for me based on how bad off I was.

AA keeps me sober. There are meetings every night everywhere. I went to 3 or more meetings a day when I got out of rehab and then at least 1 a night after I started back to work. I very quickly got into service work too where I had responsibility to a group. I have made some great friends in AA and our fellowship is stronger than any program I could do by itself. I have a sponsor I consult with on a daily basis about everything from family issues to cars.

Recovery is a 24 hour deal. IOP is a really good get out of jail free card that's 3 hours a day, 3 days a week.

I'm pulling for you, Missy. I'm glad to see you back. I can PM you where I went if you'd like.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I first accepted that I was an addict due to a IOP program. It was not specifically addiction based, it was following a psychiatric hospitalization, but most of the people in the program were substance abusers, as is very common among those with mental health issues. It was not uncommon for some of our sessions to focus on addiction, recovery, etc.

Attending those sessions made it nearly impossible for me to ignore the depth of my own substance abuse. I identified way too much with the others to pretend I was different.

I consider that experience to be the start of my recovery, even though it took several more months of spiraling substance abuse and internal tug of war before I attempted sobriety and got into a recovery program.

One of the reasons that people are encouraged to attend 90 in 90 when they get into AA or NA is so they will have that experience of identifying with the stories, mindsets and experiences of other addicts, and also get some hope and belief that recovery is possible.

I got a small taste of that in my IOP.

Most programs have something to offer if I am willing to apply it. If I am resistant or keep coming up with reasons why it wont' work for me, then nothing is going to help, because I won't apply it.

That is why it is very important to find a recovery program I feel I am willing and able to apply. It takes honesty to do this. First I have to be honest about whether or not I want to recover. Next I have to be honest about whether I can apply the program and am just making up BS about why I can't. Then I have to continue to be honest with myself about the fact that I NEED a recovery program of some sort, because on any given day I can turn my denial back on. Meetings or coming here daily are a great reminder that I NEED recovery. I really want to be able to identify with those who have beat this thing, more than I do with those who are still suffering in active addiction. Spending time here helps keep me honest.

How much you are willing to put into recovery is your call. It sounds as if your job is very very important to you, on more than just a financial basis. That's what I "hear" after reading many of your posts. But I also hear a growing realization that you need to address addiction seriously and NOW, and a growing willingness.

A previous poster pointed out that many IOP's are comprised of people court ordered (or in my case required to be there if they didn't want to be institutionalized against their will) and those will provide less peer support or the identification and hope that I speak of above.

I've attended some NA meetings that were comprised of primarily court ordered cases and they were not inspiring, but they DID make it clear where I would soon be if I didn't make recovery a priority.

Perhaps you can investigate (just honestly ask the question) whether this is the case with the program you are looking into.

Even if that is the case, it doesn't mean the program will have nothing to offer, but it might be a good reason to explore other options and programs.

There are people who have gotten inspiration and sober under those conditions, the key thing is always how serious is the person about recovery.

That and honesty, honesty, honesty, honesty. Which I have learned comes in layers. As I stick with recovery, I am able to be more honest. There were things I truly could NOT see when I first started this oddesy, that now I can't NOT see. That is why it's important for me to trust the process, there are things going on under the surface.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go ot the eval, be honest, see what they say. You aren't tied to anything. If you are originally assigned to IOP and are doing really well, they may step you down after a while. I am not a fan of "set time programs" they really don't make clinical sense. As previous posts said, I feel like they have set time frames to service court expectations, which are not always in the best interest of the patient. I think outp tx programs with the most levels of care are usually best: IOP, Outpt Individual, Once/week Outpt groups, etc. That way, you can move through the outpatient levels of care and if you have an individual counselor you feel comfortable with, you may be able to stay with them for a while on an as needed basis once you complete the structured programs. just my 2 cents! Good luck! xo
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am concerned about mandated members. I think the idea of a good group therapy is important, but not if people aren't really into it.

I'll keep thinking about it. Maybe attend an assessment.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I know the group doesn't like to hear this, but that might be too much time for me--literally. I work well over forty hours a week and drive an hour a day. And I've been tired a lot lately.
Missy,

There is obviously something you are not grasping about this thing we have to deal with. You've been at this for ten months, you know? It might be time to learn from those who have actually recovered to see how they did it. If you don't want to do 'treatment' or AA, so be it, but you have to do something different, wouldn't you say?

I sent you some information via Private Message on AVRT, which does not require any time away from work or home. It can be learned from reading alone, in private, and you can get the basic mechanics down in a few days. There are also people on this forum with experience in this method that can clarify some nuances if you want to try that.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The fact that people are mandated does not entail that they are reluctant to be there or will be a drag on the group.

I was the only non-mandated person in my OP program, and all the others were intensely committed to getting clean and sober. They were losing spouses, child custody, money, health, you name it and had now come up against either the court system or an employer. There was only 1 guy who was uncommitted and tried to game the whole thing, and he got booted out.