Notices

Should I Relapse?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nice job on your two weeks sober!

See a doctor about your hypertension. I had high BP and was on medication until I quit drinking. I am no doctor, but it is a known fact that alcohol increases BP.

As far as drinking only two beers a day...LOL. Think that concept through a little better. I know I could never do that.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Animals are the best form of therapy imho. I know my anxiety is killing me--but the time you have is huge and you ought to be incredibly proud. Glad you posted here and got feedback and I second seeing a doctor for any b/p concerns. I almost always run low, and for the firs week it was elevated (i know this more b/c we were practicing in clinicals in class) and it has gotten better. Not worth losing that time and would have so much detriment to what you're working on.
Keep on reaching out, I wish I knew a more useful calming technique. Music, the gym, my dogs, and deep breathing are all I know. I do know the 2 glasses of wine I had last night did NOTHING but make me feel terrible and disappointed.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Resident

I had high blood pressure and was invited to participate in a study put on by the Heart and Stroke foundation or something like that.
The study was focused on natural ways to reduce it.
In terms of diet no alcohol and no salt from the shaker were on the top of the list and a requirement to complete the 8 week program but the thing I found most beneficial was the breathing exercise that we had to do once a day.
It is called simply 4-4-8.
You do it for 3 sets of 12 at least once a day. More often is better.
You breath in for 4 seconds, then hold for 4 seconds, then exhale slowly for 8 seconds.
They demonstrated how it will lower your blood pressure by taking your blood pressure before and after.
At the end of the study the group that did the exercise had a marked reduction over the control group.
This was a few years ago and I still do the breathing exercises once a day and have not had elevated blood pressure since.
It can't hurt to try. Drinking, even moderately is definitely not the solution.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ranchero500 View Post
I have to pass a BP test in about 60 days for my job....I've always passed these tests, but I'm concerned this time.
go to one of those blood pressure machines at the drug stores or in a mall, find out what it says. This will at least give you information to act on about a test that is a long ways off anyway.

Oh, and like they all said; no, drinking would not be a good idea.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Should U Relapse?

Ranchero,
I do have 2 say I agree with all the other posts. Being 14 days sober i do believe it is not PAWS, & U should be pretty much past detoxing if U haven't drank (pleez know I am not a Doctor, just my opinion). I am sure U probably R having cravings, which is usually normal. Each person's cravings R going 2 be different than others & last shorter or longer than others.
Nevertheless, I would definitely not drink a couple beers a day, as alcoholics cannot drink at all...We don't have a limit. Pleez think of the consequences if U drink. Only U know where that one drink will take U. I have always been told that I'm supposed to think about @ the worst point in my drinking & where it had brought me, & did I want 2 go 2 that place again. They also say U will start off drinking where U left off.
Again, this is all just my opinion 4 whatever its worth. I truly wish U all the best in Ur Sobriety...

Serenity537
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have hypertension. When I am drinking I have took it myself I have seen it as high as 200 over 120. I am bloated from the last binge though, and am easily 25 lbs. Overweight. I should be 180-190lbs. And weigh 220 right now. My final drinking days (this time) I was actually wheezing from just walking around. Right now, one day clean, still fat.....LOL, I just took it and am 137/91. Not great, but as I start to exercise (keyword) again, and not neglect my BP meds, my pressure usually reduces to a normal 130/80. That is my normal.

And my anxiety goes down, with my weight, and my self esteem, along with healthy activity and renewed interest in my hobbies and loved ones, goes up.

Win Win.

Rex
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ranchero....A 14 days sober, my blood pressure was sky high as my body detoxed from benzos and booze. At about 21 days, my bp was near stroke levels.

A beta blocker will work better than alcohol. Please do see a doctor.

I'm not sure who bp is a criterion for your job. Maybe you can explain.

PAWS kicks in months after detox. I had it. Lasted for a year. Again, my extreme use of benzos was the culprit, and washing them down with beer certainly contributed.

Do see a doctor. And yes, at 14 days I didn't sleep for five days which premeditated a 10-day hospital stay.

I think a doctor is your only rational way out of this.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
FLA

I had that SAME question a few days ago. Don't stress about something that's months from now! You can get prescribed medicine to help with your anxiety and you can work threw it without alcohol. I also wanted to drink to avoid paws, but it was honestly just a excuse for me to get drunk. You know damn well two beers is gonna turn into more and more and more. Talk to a dr, not the bottle.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-21-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: rule 10
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My perseverance was tested today.
Though not a craving, my BP was my primary focus. Some jobs require a medical certificate.
My ability to make a decision was certainly helped out, here.
I think the doctor visit sounds like a good idea.

Thank you, everyone.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well, day 14 seems so long ago. I was a wreck then and the next 14 days were not easy. With the encouragement of many here, particularly desertsongs post #10, I pushed forward on the path of using the 60 days to regain control.

And that's exactly what I've done. The stress and anxiety of higher BP readings were causing even higher readings, raising stress and anxiety causing a vicious cycle.
I saw a doctor, made more lifestyle changes, and changed the way I thought which was not easy. While not officially out of the woods, since I still must pass my certification, I have found peace inside my head. My last reading was 99/68. My appetite is back and I'm sleeping so much better.

I feel blessed about my life. Things are so much brighter on what is now day 43.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wow I could have typed that hypertension response. I also have high BP, need to lose 25 lbs, and have been drinking for over 30 years. Was prescribed bp medication, amlodipine-benzo, and it has come down some, but not low enough. My cholesterol was also high, 260 maybe, and the Dr gave me 3 months to bring it down on my own or he threatened to put me on a cholesterol lowering drug as well. Told myself I would try to quit drinking, exercise, and lose some weight. Have done none of them. Have 1 month before I go back to see the Dr and get the blood work and bp test. I am trying niacin and a multivitamin instead of doing it the right way. Always try the easy way out and don't quit putting the poison in my system as I know I should.
When will I wise up and do the only thing I know will save me....... QUIT!!!!!!
Off to work I go.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Ranchero, this is such wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. Day 43!! Wow!! I'm relieved that you are doing so well. Congratulations ... I know it wasn't easy but you made such a good choice for your life. You just made my day.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

ABIDEBYLAW --

The best day to quit is today, because tomorrow never comes.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good for you ranchero500...I'm glad to hear that....Next time that question pops into your head...I hope you'll check in here and run it by again...I'm happy for you...On day 44 for you today.