Notices

Moderation

Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I/we continued to drink in the face of all the problems, the trouble, the pain because I liked to drink. I liked how it made me feel & how it helped me not-feel a lot of emotional pain. For an immature selfish person like me, "how I feel" is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD....... so if I felt like drinking, I drank.
Most addicted people seem to be feeeeeelings crybabies, afraid to face life without their precious bottle. Their life is one big giant project to try and feeeeel good, as oppose to actually doing good. "Waaa, waaaa, I want my bottle!" is their battle cry.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Love the Trey pic augustwest. I'm anxiously awaiting summer dates at any moment today.

It is frustrating this whole illusion of moderating. That's what I am currently doing. Attempting to moderate. It's really just damage control. The most frustrating part is that at times some of us do moderate successfully. Usually this is short lived and I return to a binge. But it's a lot like intermittent reinforcement with a slot machine. We keep playing bc we won at one time.

I had been doing well moderating for past few weeks. Then I got drunk Sunday and it lasted to last night and I missed work today. Feel like the worlds biggest loser
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Most addicted people seem to be feeeeeelings crybabies, afraid to face life without their precious bottle. Their life is one big giant project to try and feeeeel good, as oppose to actually doing good. "Waaa, waaaa, I want my bottle!" is their battle cry.

So true.....(that's what I meant by "immature" which actually was a typo that was supposed to read: "emotionally immature")

Hell, it's STILL my battle cry a lot more often than I like to admit, that's for sure.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
Yes, i am a member of the phellowship.
me too!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
So true.....
Problem is, this thing will literally drive you six feet under, one way or another, usually slowly and painfully. A long-timer in AA who was a marine once told me:
"This is life and death, like war. **** your feelings."
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My last attempt at moderation was in October and it went well for a while but I thought about wine all the time. When could I drink it next? Last week I made it till Friday, maybe this week I could start on Thursday? And is it really all gone already? By December I was drinking a lot again. Moderation is exhausting and impossible for me.

By the way, August, I also noticed the Trey avatar. My son was a big fan, he went to the Coventry, VT "final" concert. He had to park on the highway and walk 8 miles to get there. "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes" I love that line!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by Tobo View Post
Love the Trey pic augustwest. I'm anxiously awaiting summer dates at any moment today.

It is frustrating this whole illusion of moderating. That's what I am currently doing. Attempting to moderate. It's really just damage control. The most frustrating part is that at times some of us do moderate successfully. Usually this is short lived and I return to a binge. But it's a lot like intermittent reinforcement with a slot machine. We keep playing bc we won at one time.

I had been doing well moderating for past few weeks. Then I got drunk Sunday and it lasted to last night and I missed work today. Feel like the worlds biggest loser
Hang in there bro. Hopefully you take some action to change the cycle. And i can't wait for these damn dates to be announced!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by katrinka View Post
My last attempt at moderation was in October and it went well for a while but I thought about wine all the time. When could I drink it next? Last week I made it till Friday, maybe this week I could start on Thursday? And is it really all gone already? By December I was drinking a lot again. Moderation is exhausting and impossible for me.

By the way, August, I also noticed the Trey avatar. My son was a big fan, he went to the Coventry, VT "final" concert. He had to park on the highway and walk 8 miles to get there. "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes" I love that line!
I was at conventry but was in an RV that fortunately made it in the venue. That weekend was a debacle for the band, for trey as an addict, and for me personally. I got sober the first time a few months after that. It took several more years for me to finally surrender. Trey is doing great in recovery as well. I love that guy. Such an inspiration beyond just his amazing music.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
I was at conventry but was in an RV that fortunately made it in the venue. That weekend was a debacle for the band, for trey as an addict, and for me personally. I got sober the first time a few months after that. It took several more years for me to finally surrender. Trey is doing great in recovery as well. I love that guy. Such an inspiration beyond just his amazing music.
Interesting, so that explains why he was such a ******** while he, Stewart Copeland and Les Claypool were being interviewed on MTV years ago. (My son is a bass player and made me watch it AND listen to them. Sorry, please don't hurt me but I don't like their music.)

I remember saying to my son, "who is this Trey character talking like he's slumming it playing with two monsters like Copeland and Claypool?" So, now I get it, Trey was just being like me when I was a drinker.

My son is off at grad school, I'll have to pass onto him that Trey is in recovery (or whatever he calls it), I'm guessing my son will probably say, "you didn't know that?"
Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My question is why? By the time we reach the point of having to consider moderating our drinking and drug use there are real problems in our lives. Why do we all want to cling so dearly to something that has caused us such suffering? When i learned i was allergic to tomatoes i quit eating them. Thinking of eating them made me cringe because i knew it would hurt me. But with drugs and booze i followed the delusion of success until it nearly killed me.
Beats the hell outta me! I still have no idea how ANYONE would want "one beer" unless it's the size of a five gallon bucket. It is made to get drunk...period! I could drink Gatorade and enjoy "the taste" far better. I can drink one Mountian Dew just fine....BEER...so hows that working? NOT TOO GOOD!
I think drinking in moderation is weird, I mean what's the point. Still I see it here and IRL people wanting to "moderate" like it's a big deal to have "one drink". Why is it even an issue if your not gonna drink to effect?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Joe and Charlie talk about drinking beer because you like the taste...He says...I liked the taste of mountain spring water too....But I never went out and drank a case of it.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

So, a case of beer in one night is moderating, right? It's WAY better than 2.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Interesting, so that explains why he was such a ******** while he, Stewart Copeland and Les Claypool were being interviewed on MTV years ago. (My son is a bass player and made me watch it AND listen to them. Sorry, please don't hurt me but I don't like their music.)

I remember saying to my son, "who is this Trey character talking like he's slumming it playing with two monsters like Copeland and Claypool?" So, now I get it, Trey was just being like me when I was a drinker.

My son is off at grad school, I'll have to pass onto him that Trey is in recovery (or whatever he calls it), I'm guessing my son will probably say, "you didn't know that?"
I was able to board Oysterhead's tour bus for a few minutes after one of their shows and trey and les were sitting in front of a pile of coke that would make tony montana blush. trey was definitely a self absorbed ***** during that era. weren't we all at the height of our addiction? i sure as hell was.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Does anybody else find it interesting that when it comes to smoking cigarettes, we tell people to quit, but when it comes to drinking, we usually tell them to 'cut back' or to 'get help'?
I am of the opinion that if there was the same positive support out there for drinkers as there was for smokers, that more people would come along and give up before damage was caused.