Notices

24hrs Sober

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

24hrs Sober

Not really sure what I am trying to accomplish with this post. I guess I am just trying to find a place to write down how I am feeling, and maybe get some support. It's been about 36hrs since my last drink and I want to stick with staying sober this time.
Last night was hell; lucid sleep/nightmares all night, cold sweats/hot flashes, nausea. Then top it off this morning, I had the shakes real bad. I am hoping that tonight is a little easier and that I can get a bit more sleep.
What really seems to be throwing me for a loop is the mood swings, one minute I am up then the next I am practically in tears. I think this is also in part due to recent distance put between me and my girlfriend of 3 months. We are both stationed overseas in Japan. Alright, I think I have vented enough for right now. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....You have to start somewhere...I think you just did. Be careful with detoxing...If it feels like you need medical assistance...Get it.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Thank you, I really appreciate it. This isn't my first time detoxing from alcohol, unfortunately. I know a little bit of what to expect. I just had a particularly bad binge over the weekend and finally realized that I am going to keep going downhill if I don't put on the brakes.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blaizze View Post
Thank you, I really appreciate it. This isn't my first time detoxing from alcohol, unfortunately. I know a little bit of what to expect. I just had a particularly bad binge over the weekend and finally realized that I am going to keep going downhill if I don't put on the brakes.
It's a good move....Nothing wrong with wanting to stop destroying your life.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The emotional see-saw of getting drunk until we can't stand it and then getting sober until we can't stand it is familiar to me. Hope you find a way to stay on the sober side.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take a look around this site...See if you see some kind of recovery plan you might be interested in...Then ask some questions about it and get to work....You don't have to do this alone...Take advantage of that.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Blaizze

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here.

Even if you've detoxed yourself many times before, that really has little bearing on what may happen this time - I still recommend seeing a Dr - detox can be unpredictable...best to be safe.

Glad you've joined us
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 24 hours! That is wonderful. Keep up the good work and be careful. Take good care of yourself, it gets better. xoxo
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Yeah, I never meant to sound like I was "know-it-all" about me detoxing before *sheepish grin*.
I am in the military so I get forced to detox on random occasions due to ships deployment schedule. That was making the alcoholism that much harder to control, because we would hit port and I would go out and get hammered, then detox a few days later while under way. Rinse and repeat every couple of weeks. Then we would hit home-port for a couple months and I would think to myself, I can stay clean, I won't drink this time. And as soon as I would get home I would cave and by a 12pack or a bottle on the walk home. And start the cycle anew until my ship left again. I think I am what someone would a functioning alcoholic, because I knew my limits just enough to get away with drinking every day and not show up to work and be a drunken/hungover wreck, but I still was able to drink everyday. Going through a 12 pack every 2 days during the week, and then upwards of 2-3 1/5's on the weekend. Gunna make the change permanent this time though. Thank you everyone for the support ^_^