Notices

Nights still seem strange

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nights still seem strange

Hello all...
I hope everyones journey so far is a happy one. I am on Day 50 now, still feeling good about my choice to remain sober, and have been learning alot more about how to deal with life as life comes at me. Days seem normal, even though I am a lot more active, more proactive in trying to become healthier, and generally eating better...its the nights still which offer a certain emptiness i guess. It isn't like I miss the alcohol, that was a misery I can very well do without..its just that when alcohol left my life, or i left it, there is a whole lot of empty space most revealing at night, which I have found nothing to fill it yet with. Sure, Tea is soothing, soft drinks refreshing, I dont think its the actual liquid itself, but maybe those first few altered mental moments when the booze would enter the system, which haven't been replaced. Its very hard to explain, I dont miss alcohol, I just feel like something is missing...that, and I honestly have no idea what normal people do on Friday or Saturday nights...Do they all go to bars? I find watching television extremely boring and obnoxious. One good thing I can completely attest to though is....in these 50 mornings I have woken up, there has not been one single morning where I have regretted not drinking the night before..there has been no remorse or despair..not once I have thought "Damn, i really wish I had drank last night, and gotten buzzed or drunk". I have tried meetings, I dont think they are for me..to be honest, they made me feel very uncomfortable....thanks for reading.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations losteverything you should be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you. Although I attend AA meetings regularly its not for everyone. You'll stay sober because you want to. That what I do. Thanks for the thread and have agood day.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. That liquid I used to drink brought be another feeling that will never compare to what any other drink will give. Both positive and negative. Your choice to stay sober took strong personal will. I give you all the respect for that. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days! Thank you for posting, i know what you mean about the nighttime and weekends. I read A LOT. I don't know what your social life is like, but i have been going to the movies, babysitting my friends' kids so they can save money not paying a sitter, exercising, i joined a book club, idk what else. I have a friend who actially got a 2nd part time job because he felt he had so much time on his hands once he got sober. I hope you find something fulfilling to do with your free time! xo
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Congrats on 50 days. I don't know if normal people go to the bar. I was a solo at home drinking. Nights and weekends are more difficult.

On the flip side I give my 2yo more quality time now!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about those empty spaces. The first 60 days or so of my sobriety I spent a ton of my nights here on SR. Friday and Saturday nights I am at meetings or some sort of function with my kids. I like to read, watch a little tv, but not much of it. It is obnoxious. I play with the kids, the dog, my wife(lol). Talk with others in recovery.

It is hard to fill those spaces at first, because we are getting used to just "being" without drugs or alcohol. The longer I stay sober, however, the more interesting things are becoming.

It does get better.

God bless.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on day 50, lost. I am so glad I have reached this milestone as well! Let's keep at it and keep posting. I still have so much to learn, but am getting there.

Sunny xx