SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 Week Sober - Want to try a meeting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/249245-1-week-sober-want-try-meeting.html)

janiebluebird 02-19-2012 06:59 AM

1 Week Sober - Want to try a meeting

I've made it through my first weekend not drinking in quite a few years. It wasn't that bad as I've been reading & posting on here for support and ALSO there wasn't anything special going on this weekend (no birthdays or events). I want to start going to meetings despite my anxieties about them so that I stay on board with this. My question is, what would be a better initial meeting for me to attend, a "beginners" meeting or an "open" meeting? What is the difference between them?

Sapling 02-19-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by janiebluebird (Post 3287235)
My question is, what would be a better initial meeting for me to attend, a "beginners" meeting or an "open" meeting?

Which one can you get to first?

janiebluebird 02-19-2012 07:10 AM

There is a beginngers meeting tonight at a time that would be good for me. I can find almost anything though, as I am in close proximity to nyc.

janiebluebird 02-19-2012 07:11 AM

I wasn't sure if the beginners meeting is more intense than an open meeting...

Sapling 02-19-2012 07:13 AM

Either one is great...I'd take a noon one and go to the Beginners tonight. That's just the way I am. I just got back from a beautiful meeting that started at 8...What a way to start the day.

Sapling 02-19-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by janiebluebird (Post 3287246)
I wasn't sure if the beginners meeting is more intense than an open meeting...

I like them all.

janiebluebird 02-19-2012 12:58 PM

Ok, cool, thanks. Is there more required from me at a beginners meeting than to just listen?

Sapling 02-19-2012 01:07 PM

No janie...Like any meeting...You can introduce yourself...Say it's your first meeting...If you don't want to do that...You don't have to....Relax and enjoy it....Show up 15 minutes early and hang out...These are good people. You probably won't be the only one there for their first meeting either. It's a beginners meeting....That's what they are for. Have fun.

jocata 02-19-2012 02:03 PM

Beginners meetings are for, well, beginners. The ones I have been to usually just concentrate on the first 3 steps. Open meetings are for alcoholics and non-alcoholics alike. I know of old-timers that hit beginner meetings now and then just to stay "grounded", -back to basics.

God bless.

mattparadise 02-19-2012 02:07 PM

Just go in with an open mind.

flyingleap123 02-19-2012 02:33 PM

No advice as I just went to my very first meeting last night. I'm so glad I did. Every one was incredibly welcoming and hearing them share their stories helps me know I'm not alone or that much different. Good Luck! Second meeting today was even better...

Sapling 02-19-2012 02:37 PM

Glad to hear that flyingleap....Love the name.

IndaMiricale 02-19-2012 02:48 PM

You got your answer , but welcome :)

I hope you enjoy your meetings and fellowship you create as much as I do. :)

Hevyn 02-19-2012 02:50 PM

Let us know how it goes janie. :)

FlyerFan 02-19-2012 06:40 PM

Yes let us know. :) And remember you don't have to say a word if you don't want you. For my first handful of meetings I sat in the back and listened. :) Now I'm comfortable with joining in and sharing things.

Sapling 02-19-2012 06:42 PM

You're an old timer flyerfan....

FlyerFan 02-19-2012 06:43 PM

no im not, lol. i've only been in the program for 3 weeks.

Sapling 02-19-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerFan (Post 3288081)
no im not, lol. i've only been in the program for 3 weeks.

Like I said...Your an old timer...If you see someone show up to their first meeting...scared to death...Can you make them feel comfortable?

FlyerFan 02-19-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3288085)
Like I said...Your an old timer...If you see someone show up to their first meeting...scared to death...Can you make them feel comfortable?

Actually I did just that last night. A terrified 18 year old girl showed up, she was about to leave when some of the other women grabbed her hand and walked her in and assured her she would be fine. I gave her my extra 24 hour coin and told her that I was scared too and that after only 2 weeks I'm not scared anymore and she said it made her feel better. :)

Sapling 02-20-2012 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerFan (Post 3288144)
Actually I did just that last night. A terrified 18 year old girl showed up, she was about to leave when some of the other women grabbed her hand and walked her in and assured her she would be fine. I gave her my extra 24 hour coin and told her that I was scared too and that after only 2 weeks I'm not scared anymore and she said it made her feel better. :)

That's what it's all about...To her...You're an old timer...And a good one.