Notices

Help!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help!

I'm new here, everybody, and it's really helped a lot. I'd just like to know if anybody has any suggestions or ideas to help me out, because I've noticed that I'm starting to revert and go back to the way I was, before I sobered up. I really don't want to relapse, and I've increased my counseling sessions to a couple of times a week, as opposed to once every 2 weeks, but I was hoping to get some more information. Anything would help, and I'd really appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daniel

Coming here is a great start - just knowing I wasn't alone and knowing there was support really helped me

Many people find face support is good too.

If you think you need more than your counselling, gave you thought of any recovery groups or methods - AA, SMART, Rational Recovery etc?

How long have you been sober?
D
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Daniel, you need to gather all the support you can. I find it useful to come onto this site regularly, it can help you overcome those pangs. I even access it on my mobile phone and use a 12 steps android app so there is always advice to hand (mind you my gf thinks it is typical me to solve things with gadgets, heck, if it works do it)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Support, generally, is always beneficial.

However, the loop you describe sounds like an issue originating from some other facet of your life, and then you turn to the bottle to deal with it. The distinction here is that quitting drinking isnt always quitting drinking. Sometimes there are other issues to be addressed.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that the groups are your best bet if you really want to stay stopped. I'm not familiar with SMART or Rational Recovery, but without AA I know there's no chance I'd still be sober.

The beginning was the toughest for me and most. It was also the time for me to build a really solid foundation. For me that meant counseling, meetings, reading as much AA literature as I could get my hands on, having a sponsor, and taking as many suggestions as I possibly could. Whether I agreed with them or not. Alcoholism and drug addicion is insanely powerful, and without confronting it with all the ammunition I possibly could, I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to maintain my sobriety. And I'm sober now many more years than I ever thought was possible. For anyone.

One of the thoughts that helped me a lot when the desire was strong in the beginning to pick up, was this. I knew, deep down inside, that I would one day be sober. I knew I didn't want the life that went with addiction. I also realized when the desire was strong to pick up, that if I did, it was as if I were going back to the starting gate. The days, weeks, or months I had accumulated would be thrown away - and eventually I'd be back in the same exact spot (the present one with the strong urges) again. If I was able to find the means to not give into the urge, that day, I knew I could grow past it and it would get easier and easier. I didn't want it to take years of repeating the same trials and errors, the same desires, the same crap... I wanted to be done with it for once and for all as quickly as possible. I did get past those urges, and it did get easier, and it's been a long long time since I had any desire to pick up a drink or a drug.

Using a website and counseling to combat addiction is using only 2 tools of the thousands that are out there. The more tools you have the better your chances for success when urges come up. If you're not already familiar with it, there's a book called Living Sober. You can get it at most AA meetings, or on Amazon. It's dirt cheap, and has a whole lot of incredibly wise and practical suggestions on staying away from that deadly first drink or drug. Especially in early recovery when the urges hit hardest.

Hang in there. If you grow through these urges as opposed to give into them, it WILL get easier.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Daniel

Coming here is a great start - just knowing I wasn't alone and knowing there was support really helped me

Many people find face support is good too.

If you think you need more than your counselling, gave you thought of any recovery groups or methods - AA, SMART, Rational Recovery etc?

How long have you been sober?
D
It hasn't even been a full year yet.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Is there anything besides here and counseling that you are doing?

write a journal
exercise
meditation
yoga
hobbies
volunteering
any other program of recovery?

Your post gave little information as to what you are doing. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Face to face group therapy does wonders for me. Whether it be AA or mental wellness groups, they are crucial for me. It is a great way to make wonderful new friends and gain access to another support system.

We are told we have to change our friends when we want to get sober and this is a great way to do it.

Best wishes.

God bless.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I meditate, and I go to the meetings. I exercise, and have tried to use that as a substitute. I write, and I've taken up guitar and keyboards. I've also joined a few sports.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DanielAvila View Post
I meditate, and I go to the meetings. I exercise, and have tried to use that as a substitute. I write, and I've taken up guitar and keyboards. I've also joined a few sports.
You go to meetings...I assume you mean AA....How are you doing with getting a sponsor and working the 12 steps? That's where the solution is...As long as you are capable of getting completely honest with youself...That can change your life.