Notices

Username-what does yours mean?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I Googled the Goddess of Strength and came up with Artemis..because I knew I would need strength to do this,,,.but apparently she was also goddess of the hunt. So I am hunting for strength?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Loving reading this thread.
As for mine, smiley as I am generally pretty happy go lucky, and blue as I have blue eyes which I often get complimented on.

Keep them coming...interesting hearing the reasons/ history behind usernames
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
MINEr

Mine is kinda involved actually. Twenty years ago I was in a brutal suicidal depression, and an album saved me, Ever by the band IQ. It was the first time in my life that I felt like someone related to how I had been feeling since I was a little kid when the abuse started, before that, I felt totally alone and a total mistake. The last song on the album is called Came Down. It has one line in it that says "Far away we wave goodbye, too many unremembered arms that won't let go." In getting sober, I am freeing myself of those arms that won't let go, and I don't have to be distant from anyone ever again.

All the memories that lead to isolation
All the time we didn't share
When we set adrift half-forgotten lies
Will the madness still be there?
Who of all you now will ride the lows and highs?
Whose hands are these that come to pray?
When you turn away the distance in your eyes
Speaks the words that you won't say
Far away, we say goodbye
Too many unremembered arms that won't let go
How can I be on your side
If the line divides
And if anyone should listen?
Through starry-eyes, I know
This is still the garden
Where I came down

-Peter Nichols, IQ, Came Down
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Mine is kinds obvious too...I was never really good at math in high school.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I used to Joke with my 2 sons that if I won the lottery I would change my name from Stuart to something more manly and interesting - so we decided I would become Chopper. The TS is Tourette's Syndrome which you can't miss if you meet me
Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Mine is an old, hastily thought-of username that I haven't bothered to change. 'Midget' referring to my less than stellar stature (5'2") and 'cop' for my desire to one day be a police officer. Luckily I didn't become one, because I can only imagine my alcoholism would've progressed much faster than it did.

Good thread.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I was feeling hungover and very backwards when I signed up so used my name in reverse.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Nairb I thought your name was Egyptian or something lol.

Chopper, did you find or think that drinking (or whatever you used) helped your ticks?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Cascabel is the name of a small chile and of a particular species of rattlesnake. It is also the name of a small community in the San Pedro river valley in SE Arizona. I have always liked the town and it's name; no other significance than that.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Best thread ever! And Orbea - yours is my favorite. If we were old frat/sorority friends, that name would stick!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well, I love butterflies, have lots of tattoos of them.. in recovery feel they're somewhat metaphoric for my new beautiful life. That's all!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

altho i'm not a particularly religious person, my name comes from my favorite verse in the Bible: Matthew 25:40 "Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

it reminds me to be kind to others and it also reminds me that I too am one of "the least of these".
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Flutter, I too have butterfly tat. Felt is was symbolic of my childhood. Always felt like a puny, ugly worm, then developed into the beautiful person I am. Without the pain & suffering I endured, I would not be the compassionate person I am today. Also, have a rose which reminds me that although some may have seen me as beautiful on the outside, if you got too close, I would hurt you( thorn). I was self destructive. But as I continue to sober, healing has come.
Maybe need a new tat to symbolize that.

Sorry, Orbea to thread jack.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

When I first tried to sign up to SR, all my usual user names were taken. So, I decided to make it something relevant to why I was looking for a site like this in the first place. Just then, "where's the fun in drinking" popped into my head?

For the record, at that/this point in my life, I could not come up with one positive reason for me to continue drinking, although I had already stopped by then.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Originally Posted by Orbea View Post
Nairb I thought your name was Egyptian or something lol.

Chopper, did you find or think that drinking (or whatever you used) helped your ticks?
No it made them worse - I also got much more hyper. Caused me a lot of problems with my crazy drunken ideas lol
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I have three kids, Jordyn, Cayden, and Taylor. I took the first two letters from each of their names and combined them-jocata.

Real name is Sean.

Cool thread,

God bless.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

In Greek mythology, Charon or Kharon is the ferryman of Hades who carries souls of the newly deceased across the rivers Styx and Acheron that divided the world of the living from the world of the dead. A coin to pay Charon for passage, usually an obolus or danake, was sometimes placed in or on the mouth of a dead person. Some authors say that those who could not pay the fee, or those whose bodies were left unburied, had to wander the shores for one hundred years.

Alcohol was my ferryman but now I am the boatman. I paid the ferryman, I threw off the ferryman, and now he can wander the shores for one hunderd years. Now I control the ship and I will Hold Fast to it and to the true course. I prefer to sail on the living side of the river.

The name Charon is most often explained as a proper noun, a poetic form of charopós, “of keen gaze”, referring either to fierce, flashing, or feverish eyes, or to eyes of a bluish-gray color. Fits the description of my eyes.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Zakynthos is the name of a lovely Greek island in the Ionian Sea.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loudog430 View Post
Baby steps will lead into bigger steps and bounds. You are well on your way.

Loudog430

Loudog = Louie Dog of Sublime (Brad Nowell's best friend). Died of a Drug OD (Heroine). I was a pretty big fan back a few years ago.

430 = My birthday, April 30th. It's pretty much an old username.

Mountain biking is fun. Ugh, I wish I didn't have to drive so far to work because I'd love to ride there. (googlemaps say it would taker >2 hrs to get there via bike)
Probably the first person I've ever met with the same birthday as me...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I put mustard in my hand soap dispenser.