Notices

Back again

Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Hi, I have posted here a few times but once again I feel I am a newcomer. When I posted before I was drinking in a way that was unsafe (like I was drinking and driving a lot, making bad relationship choices, etc). Since then I've been to a few meetings of AA and SMART, and although I've had periods of up to a week without drinking I always started again. Now for the past month or so I've been steadily drinking 2-3 beers at dinnertime every day. BTW I am a female in my early 20s. I don't feel like I need to drink more at this point, but of course I know about tolerance so maybe in a couple of years 2-3 beers will become 5-6 to get the same feeling. At one AA meeting I was at, someone joked about the medical definition for "binge drinking" being 4 or 5 drinks a day and how that was how much he drank just on his way to the liquor store. So I guess I'm wondering if my 2-3 beers a night is really a problem or not. Or whether I'm ok with continuing to drink at this level as long as I don't start drinking more or make poor choices when drinking. I don't know. What do you guys think? Thanks for reading.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Try stopping for 30 days.

One drink a day is the limit for a female. You are over-doing it at this point. Read some things here (there's a lot of information, so take your time): NIAAA Home (Thanks to the person who posted this yesterday!!!!)

Peace,
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Confuzd View Post
When I posted before I was drinking in a way that was unsafe
Welcome back...How much were you drinking then?...It seems like if you can't make it more than a week...That could be a problem....I had to stop for good because I couldn't do it safely....I was committing suicide...Day by day.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter how much you drink or how often. If you can't control it or moderate, it's a problem. It might not be a big problem.....yet.
Alcoholism is progressive. You develop into it over time. I started out just a few drinks on weekends, then every other day, then more & more to everyday.
One day I woke up & thought how in the world did I get here?
I tried to go back(moderate) but it was pointless. My tolerance was too high & I had to drink just to keep my body from withdrawing.
I wish I would've never started in the first place.
You are young & have your whole life ahead of you.
Don't go down the roads we've been. It's not worth it.
It'll be easier for you to stop now, rather than later.
Best wishes to you.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

@sugarbear1 thanks, I guess I am just skeptical of medical standards for how many drinks is too much because there is so much medical advice I and many other people don't follow. For example, I know I should eat 5 servings of fruits/vegetables a day but I don't, so why should I strictly limit myself to 1 drink a day.

@Sapling, before I was drinking maybe 4 drinks one day, 1 the next, 5 the next day, 2 the next, something like that. The issue is, I would drink it in the form of some shots while I was driving or at lunchtime at work and I would often go to a bar and make an a$$ of myself. That is why I consider that drinking unhealthy. Like now I don't drink and drive and I don't drink during work.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@Sapling, before I was drinking maybe 4 drinks one day, 1 the next, 5 the next day, 2 the next, something like that. The issue is, I would drink it in the form of some shots while I was driving or at lunchtime at work and I would often go to a bar and make an a$$ of myself. That is why I consider that drinking unhealthy. Like now I don't drink and drive and I don't drink during work.
I don't know...I was backed into a corner pretty good...I was a lot worse than that...I mean...Do you feel like it's a problem for you?...It is a progressive disease in my opinion....I don't think it gets better with time. I wish I had seen it coming before I was completely out of control...I just didn't see it coming. I don't know what to say to you Confuzd...For the last 2 years of my drinking career...I would drink that much in the first hour I was out of bed...For real. I was poured into detox and told if I kept it up..I was dead....I had two choices...Hate to see you have to go that far.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess what I think is that maybe I am at the start of a serious problem... I guess alcoholism can start the way I'm living now, but can end up a lot worse...
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess what I think is that maybe I am at the start of a serious problem... I guess alcoholism can start the way I'm living now, but can end up a lot worse...
I can guarantee you that.....
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

So I guess I'm wondering if my 2-3 beers a night is really a problem or not
If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem confuzd.

Like PCL said - it's not so much about how much or how often you drink but what happens to you when you do.

I didn't drink as much as some others I know, but it didn't seem to impact their lives - it nearly destroyed mine.

D