Notices

Turning points

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question Turning points

How is it that people stop drinking/drugging? How do people turn that overeating problem around and lose weight? How do people stop gambling? How do people turn things around?

Many a sunday mornings us problem drinkers/heavy drinkers/drunks/alcoholics/whatevers have made many many many hungover promises to get this alcohol thing taken care of...to stop drinking; to moderate...etc.

Resolving to never drink/drug again. It just doesn't quite work. Addictive Voice Recognition Technique says that when you have a thought to lead you to believe that you will drink, then just recognize that "It" wants a drink. The trouble is that "It" can make me feel so miserable and yucky that I drink anyways.

So if anyone with over a year of sobriety can help me: what was the turning point? Did you have to hit rock bottom...or did you just mature out of it? What changed? What is the pivotal factor that turns a drinker/drugger into a sober individual.

For the veterans of sobriety out there (1+ years) please describe to me your turning point.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Are you effing serious? 112 views and no replies?!?!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not have 1+ yrs sobriety. And those that do probably are out enjoying life, not searching for help. They have found it.

My turning point was when alcohol was no longer fun anymore. I was miserable, sick & tired of being sick & tired. I accepted I was an alcoholic & that I HAD to stop or I was going to die. I accepted that alcohol was not an option for me anymore. I struggled the first few weeks as my mind & body detoxed.
Then it became easier, began to see the truth from lies.
You have to either believe the lies & continue to drink. Or see the truth & do whatever it takes to not drink.
I got to a puny where I wanted to NOT drink more than I did.
Everyone's turning point is different.
You have to make the decision.
Do you want to fight & live or give in & die?
That's how it was for me.
I'm only 36 days sober but can tell you detoxing is way better than being stuck in that vicious cycle of defeat.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went back & forth with the " voice" for over a yr. I was so depressed if I didn't drink. I was tired of the battle in my head w/ IT & would give in.
Until I saw that IT was a liar. I could be happy w/ out booze.
Once I accepted I could never drink again & was ok with that is when the voice eased up tremendously.
But I didn't really want to quit. I was scared to death to quit.
Then one day I realized it would never make me happy. It just made me think it would.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Colton, I'm a little over 8 months sober. You have to realize that you're powerless over alcohol, for some that means hitting bottom, whatever that may be for you. If you're an alcoholic you probably won't find lasting happy sobriety on your own, thats just how it goes. Trust me I tried a few times with varying degrees of success, but always ended up miserable and drank again. Finally being open to AA did it for me, working the steps with a great sponsor has turned my life around 100%. Don't listen to the voice that says "thats just not for me" just do it. That voice is addiction recognizing it's being threatened. (FYI, you probably aren't getting a ton of responses because your asking for advice from people with over a year sober in a newcomer's forum).
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Colton

I reccomend you check out our Stories of Recovery forum - it's a forum for those with one year of recovery or more to share their stories.

You'll find a lot of turning points there - including mine

Originally Posted by Me
By age 40 I was drinking all day everyday - my world had shrunk to my little 2 room apartment, my recliner chair and my TV...my music career was over - too many drunken gigs - my dwindling social circle was exclusively alcoholic, and my only regular outings were to the liquor store and back.

I'd long let go of any pretense of functionality - everybody in my neighbourhood knew I was a drunk - they saw me stumbling, unwashed, dazed, red eyed, struggling to the bottle shop and back , daily.

I began to fall over frequently - and despite being accomplished at falling 'safely', I was often too drunk to manage this - so I hit my head hard more and more often.

On my last day of drinking, I was already drunk when I caught the bus to the store (walking was not really an option in that state). I missed the last step off the bus...I hit my head on the kerb so hard it bounced...

I got up, held a handkerchief to my bleeding brow...and continued straight into the liquor store.

I remember them bandaging me up..and me insisting I was fine and buying booze. I don't remember getting home, or the rest of that day, but I do remember that night when, even more drunk, I woke up and stumbled into the bathroom...I slipped and hit my head - again - on the corner of the bath.

I lay there on the floor, not able to get up for being drunk, and disorientated, and I knew in that instant with absolute certainty that I was going to die if I kept on this way - no perhaps, no what ifs, no maybes through cirrhosis or other alcohol related conditions...

I knew I was going to fall more and more often...and then once too often...and die.

It was my moment of clarity perhaps. Whatever it was, I have never been more sure of anything.

I felt so disorientated and disconnected I thought for several days it might have already been too late.

In a sense it was I guess - I still carry the physical legacy of that last day. I'd suffered some mini strokes. I've never been the same since - in many ways. A permanent reminder of where I was headed.

The next morning...Good Friday 2007. No booze around. I decided to go for it.

I looked around online and I found SR

D
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Are you effing serious? 112 views and no replies?!?!
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you want spoon-fed wisdom, when there is already a vast storehouse of experiences on this site already archived. You simply have to browse or search and start reading. I recommend you check out that "Stories of Recovery" link that Dee gave you.

For the veterans of sobriety out there (1+ years) please describe to me your turning point.
I, for one, am not going to tell you 'my story', because your Addictive Voice is just going to point out that you are 'not that bad' yet and use it as an excuse to keep on drinking until you get to the point that I did. If you want a nice book on how people quit drinking via various methods, including AA, you should read the book "Sober for Good: New Solutions for Drinking Problems -- Advice from Those Who Have Succeeded" by Anne M. Fletcher. The author asked 222 people who have resolved a drinking problem the very question you are posing: "How did you do it?"

Regarding your remark about AVRT, if you read through the discussions on it in the Secular Connections forum, as opposed to just reading the free crash course in 15 minutes, you'll find that AVRT is a little more nuanced. There have been about 1,470 posts thus far in the AVRT thread in the past six months, which comes out to almost eight posts per day. That, of course, is entirely up to you, but either way, I can absolutely guarantee you that your addiction will feed on passivity and procrastination. If AVRT is not your thing, I recommend you find something that is and get to work.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

not sure if there's a universal "turning point" - just a profound recognition that to keep doing what i was doing was no longer working. My experience - i have 16 yrs- is that this 'bottom' is absolutely subjective. Physical, fiscal, family, emotional, spiritual, professional- its been different for each of us. Perhaps our common thread is that, whatever that 'trigger', we somehow resolved/committed to working a program in which we could follow what others had done before....
and this is only one opinion.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been clean + sober for 4 years. I went to a program in northern AB which helped me save my life. I went because I wanted to. I find the quote by Lao Tzu very insightful. I am new to this site so please be patient. I agree with Dee74.Browse the links,with an open heart and mind and you will be surprised how much you can learn about yourself and life's complexities.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome sierra408...Great to have you...Congrats on 4 years.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

My turning point was I was tired of the BS.

I spent years wanting the crap to stop but not believing that my drinking was the problem. I did not want to stop drinking nor did I intend to.

Then, I got to the point where I couldn't look at myself in the mirror without getting throw up in my throat. I decided to pull my head out of my a$$ and do something about it.

I've been sober now for a little over three years and my life is completely different and I'm happy.

There was nothing anyone could say to me to get to that point. Nothing.

I just finally had enough and didn't know what else to try. So far, it's working out for me.

Do you want to stop drinking?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sierra
Good to have you with us

D
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How is it that people stop drinking/drugging? How do people turn that overeating problem around and lose weight? How do people stop gambling? How do people turn things around?
They make an honest choice to quit, and understand that the word relapse is just an excuse to drink, drug, and over eat, etc.

What will yours be?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Many a sunday mornings us problem drinkers/heavy drinkers/drunks/alcoholics/whatevers have made many many many hungover promises to get this alcohol thing taken care of...to stop drinking; to moderate...etc.

Resolving to never drink/drug again. It just doesn't quite work. Addictive Voice Recognition Technique says that when you have a thought to lead you to believe that you will drink, then just recognize that "It" wants a drink. The trouble is that "It" can make me feel so miserable and yucky that I drink anyways.

So if anyone with over a year of sobriety can help me: what was the turning point? Did you have to hit rock bottom...or did you just mature out of it? What changed? What is the pivotal factor that turns a drinker/drugger into a sober individual.

Thanks
It is different for everybody. I was sober for over thirty years; I quit the first time because I didn't like the person I was becoming while drinking. I don't recollect that I had too much difficulty quitting the first time: I made a decision to stop and stopped. Sadly, I didn't stay stopped.

Because of the stress of my wife being seriously ill (excuse, not reason), I started drinking again about two years ago. From there, it took a few months before I was back where I was when I quit the first time. And, I am finding it much more difficult to stop than I did the first time. But, I am taking another shot at it today. I am not sure whether my age, 75, has anything to do with it being more difficult this time around but is sure as hell is. The Lenten season is coming and I plan to use that as a foundation for abstinence: for the rest of my life. For me, the bottom is in sight and I will use anything I can find to help me quit and stay quit. I like myself when I am sober and don't like myself when I am drinking. Sounds simple when I put it that way but apparently wanting to like myself has not been quite enough to motivate me yet. This site is a help to me and I will stay here for support.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I was faced with almost losing my life.. didn't quit. I was then faced with losing my job, my family, my marriage .. and somewhere in me I was just finally done, surrendered to the fact that I couldn't go on one more day the way that I was. There's no easy answers to this. Lots of people drink until they die, despite the consequences of their alcoholism. Some don't. I think that turning point is incredibly different in each of us, and very personal.