Notices

New here, need info.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JCA

New here, need info.

I have currently been through the treatment program at Schick Shadel hospital in Seattle Washington.
I stayed sober for the 1st two months out of recovery then I had a slip. Reason - "Why can't I just drink like everyone else responsibly & not over do it"? That was my thinking.

Anyway, I keep hearing & reading about getting through the 1st year. The 1st year is the hardest & once you conquer it for a year its easy. Well I need a little more help. I've been thinking of ordering antabuse online to help me get through the first year of sobriety. Does anyone know where I can order it. I'm desperate. Need help - Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

What is Antabuse?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know.....I plan on going through a year with no drugs...God willing. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JCA

We can't give you medical advice here & that would include the kind of info you've asked for - it's against our rules.

I'd strongly advise you to speak to a Dr about any prescribed medications.

What might have worked for some may not work, or may not even be suitable for you to take.

If you're worried about relapse finding the right kind of support is an approach that bought me a lot of dividends

Coming here is a good start - are you open to the idea of the various face to face support methods too, like AA etc?

D
Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JCA

Thanks for the reply. I am open to face to face support. Im not against aa at all. I have been to meetings over the years. I'm familiar with it. I'm not going to speak negatively about aa, I just don't think its for me. I understand your rules & policies. Ive just read success stories & am interested. If anyone has any info could you please send a private message.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Antabuse is a prescribed medication.

It's in your best interests to see a Dr and get their opinion on whether it's the right course of action for you.

Members can share their experiences - but please remember this is not a site to find out where to buy prescribed medication.

Please don't ask our members to break our rules.

D
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

AA might not be for ya, but did you work the steps? The solution is in them.

Try finding any program that works with you! If we could do this without rehab, we would have....we often need to supplement our life with something!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree totally with Dee on the antabuse. It's a prescribed medication and you should talk to your dr if you want to use it.

I don't believe that the first year is the hardest and once you get through it, it's easy. I think recovery is up and down from time to time, no matter the length of time. And, if you believe that, at the end of one year, it will be so easy, then your recovery could slip.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters. Go to your doctor.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

New here, need info.

I strongly suggest you get to AA, they may be able to help you.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

I consider myself open but I also have to agree with the others about getting any prescription drugs over the internet.
I have had friends that have gotten other prescription drugs over the internet, mostly because they were cheaper, with very bad consequences. There is no control over purity, authenticity, or anything else like that with these products.
I am sure most good doctors with training in addiction and alcoholism would readily write you a prescription for antabuse.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Usually your primary physician or a psychiatrist will prescribe for you. Talk to a doctor about it.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with what's been said above, best to speak to your GP or Psychiatrist about it.

It is a medication I have used before. However, before even taking the first dose, I had a lengthy conversation with my Psychiatrist-whom at that stage had been treating me for 12 months-about the pros and cons and he had to write out a contract, which I then signed stating that I would be accountable for any consequences that occurred and that I understood and had been fully informed about the very real risks of drinking whilst taking it. For me, it was a last resort-it did allow a bit of "breathing space" to collect my thoughts and take a cold, hard look at what drinking was doing to me. However, in my experience, taking that particular medication was not *enough*, I had to engage fully in a program of recovery. For me, it has been AA.

All the best!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This thread is from six months ago...I made it to my year...No drugs thank God.