Notices

joined today

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gay

joined today

I just joined today. This seems like the only place I can talk about my addiction. I can't talk to my family. They just get angry and say I could do it if I wanted. Their advise is "Just quit". It's not that easy or I certainly would.

I am a fully functioning alcoholic. I think it's the worst kind. It gives me no real reason to quit except that I know I'm slowly killing myself. There was a wonderful Rehab center that gave long term care. I stayed there for 60 days and stayed sober for 2 years. Those places don't exist anymore. It's 3 days detox and out.

I started drinking again when I got cancer. I'm cancer-free now but still drinking my 10 beers a day.

Has anybody detoxed at home? I can't afford a rehab center right now but I'm starting to hate myself because I can't seem to get the willpower to quit.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome Gay

I really recommend you don't detox by yourself at home.

I did that and I ended up in a really bad way - it was one of the worst decisions of my life.

At least see a Dr - many places in the US have free or low cost clinics now.
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

Coming here is a good start to find the support you need to stay stopped - have you thought about other support as well - AA, SMART, Rational Recovery etc ?

D
Old 02-17-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I can't talk to my family. They just get angry and say I could do it if I wanted. Their advice is "Just quit". It's not that easy or I certainly would. I'm starting to hate myself because I can't seem to get the willpower to quit.
Welcome to the family, Gay, this is most certainly the right place. You will find a whole pantload of our own experiences which we can share with you if you like. Those of us that are now abstainers and happy about it have developed some pretty impressive sober muscles and can help you with the heavy lifting. The third thing you will find here is our hope for you that you can find your answers to your questions and become sober too.

OK. I think your family is right, but only half right. You do need to 'just quit', that is true, but desiring sobriety is only part of the puzzle, you need to know how to 'just quit'. There are many different paths to sobriety, Gay, and I believe that you will keep looking until you find yours. Keep posting here, we are pulling for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Gay! Keep reading and posting - this place is great.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What about OP rehab? it helped me a ton. I got into a good local program and it was adjusted around my work hours.

Worth a try, better than a lonely early death! .
Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I am sure there are multiple reasons for you to quit. You deserve a wonderful life. If you have beaten cancer, you can beat this too. I believe in you. Take good care of yourself. xo
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gay! I know how you feel - my family & friends were a "Just say no" bunch too. So not helpful. When I came here I knew I never had to be alone again. It meant everything, & I found the strength to stop. I know you can do it - we're here to help.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

WELCOME (((((Gay))))) You have found a GREAT place with lots of experience, strength, and hope (ES&H).

If you are serious, first please do not detox at home alone. Now if you have a friend that can stay with you, so that should you start convulsing or shaking a lot of other things that they could call 911, then trying a home detox might be ok. Unfortunately, detoxing alone can be deadly.

Now as to a 'rehab'. Call you local Salvation Army and ask them where their nearest rehab is and how long is the 'wait' to get in. Their rehab program is FREE, and you can stay as long as you need to, as long as you are showing sincerity and working hard to 'learn' all the 'tools' they provide.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gay, your local AA group may be just the ticket for you.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R