located?

For me, I was never intersted in it, so I never
went looking for it. However, im pretty sure it
is on the beer isle. Altho, ive not seen it on the
drink or juice isle.

If, "near beer" as it is refered to, is non alcoholic,
then, can anyone buy it? Why is it located in the
beer section of the store if someone in recovery
is learning to abstain from drinking alcohol?

I was a newcomer just like many who are just
starting on their own recovery program and I
respect them, just as I was respected by others.

Showing concern, care, support to the newcomer
is important and i'll be honest with you when I share
my own ESH with you, because getting the right
recovery information to help you on ur own journey
is important to me and my own recovery.

Going to buy O'douls is not gonna give me quality,
honest recovery today or anyday. IMO
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beer isle....Next to the poison.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Our grocery stores do not sell alcohol, but the non-alcoholic beer is available. I have seen it by the mixers for drinks. Maybe at one end of the soda isle? I have never liked it. Tried it when pregnant, but it did nothing for me, taste-wise or as a sub, since I prefer wine. I lost the taste for drinking during my pregnancies. It was easy to not drink.

Maybe that is how a non-drinker, normal drinker feels. Take it or leave it and easy to leave it for a good reason.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

I believe you have to show id to buy it, too, at least in my state.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I once tried getting sober on my own (before AA)...Had the most miserable 10 months of my life...My wife at the time..Told me I was better off drinking...I kept trying and figured I'd go the NA beer route towards the end....Right back into the gutter where I was.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I first quit I was drinking non-alcoholic beer. I felt it was harmless...something to have in my hand when everyone else was drinking sort of thing.

However, I soon found myself drinking more than was reasonable and realized that it was my bodies desire for alcohol that was driving my behaviour.

I eschewed the NA beer for sodas and sparkling waters and life has been easier since.

I find that with all this stuff...you sort of have to find your own way. Don't be surprised if you decided at some point that O-Doul's aren't the right thing for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Your ESH is much appreciated
not only to me but hopefully enlightening and
rewarding to the many newcomers looking for
encouraging words for guidance.

Beginning recovery isnt always easy, just like
it is with anything. Even a diet.
However, once we begin and follow some
steps, slowly they begin to stick and soon
we are on our way to a healthier way of life.

I commend all those starting out in recovery because
I too began with day one 21 yrs ago. No different
from many of you. I began at 30 yrs old and now im
older than you.

I hung onto those who had many yrs of sobriety
before me, but many have passed on, following in
their recovery footsteps so i could have quality
recovery like they did.

Many were frank with me, no BSing, just plain
simple truth, gently guiding me with care, concern
and suggestions the same as I hope Im doing
with you.

How would you feel if I came here everyday sharing
my own ESH with you honestly but also told you I
have been drinking O'Douls too?

Or what would you say to your child who admires
you for not drinking and tags along with you to the
beer isle to pick up some O'Doul's?

Are we being completely honest with those who
are looking up to us for guidance? Are we really
being honest with ourselves?

If we are not honest with ourselves how can we
be trustworthy?

Just a few things to think about.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The problem with N/A beer is that during the period of addiction the brain comes to associate the taste of regular beer with the "buzz" which at least at first comes from drinking that. So when the brain tastes "beer" that means to it that a "buzz" is on the way. Pavlov's dog. Conditioning. Simple as that. Now when you stop drinking regular beer and yet continue drinking N/A beer the brain is baffled and says, "Where's the buzz?" ("I want my buzz. I want it and I want it right now!") And maybe the folks you are drinking with say, "Why not have a regular one? Just one won't hurt you!" So maybe you have "just one" and get a bit of a buzz and your brain sends a signal that the buzz was "maybe O.K. but really sort of a B- or C+ buzz at best." "You can do better than that!" And you do "better (?)" You have another, and another and maybe later on you switch to vodka. You know the rest. Maybe you've been there before.

W.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't have a problem with NA beer making me want to drink more. I tried it in the beginning, but lost interest in it quickly, as it just seemed to be empty calories. What's the point of drinking beer without the alcohol? I'd leave a glass half full and toss it down the sink. Never would do that with a real beer.

Of course, I was never much of a beer drinker, anyway. YMMV.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Sharon. It really depends on the grocery store.

I have seen it in Publix in Florida on a Sunday, when the 'liquor department' is off limits, they have it in both the 'beer aisle' and it and non acoholic wines in the juice aisle with the sparkling cider, etc.

Same with Jewel, and Smith's.

So it does depend on the store. I do buy a 6 pack of O'Douls about twice a year, so I have 'beer' to boil my bratwurst in before it goes on the grill, lol. I also buy a bottle, periodically (lasts forever in the fridge) of Sutter Home Fre Red wine for cooking some of my beef dishes (french) that call for wine. I figure there is so little alcohol in it, that it will definitely burn off, but it does give the 'dishes' that 'flavor' that my family is used to.

Otherwise, I have never seen the 'point' of NA products that normally have alcohol. That would just be putting me back in a place to try the 'real McCoy' if I was not in 'fit spiritual condition' which can and does happen once in a while.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Laurie, I'm kind of glad that I didn't much like these products because, if I did, I can see how having the taste but not the punch could leave me wanting more in a moment of weakness.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My ESH with non alcoholic beers. As advised, I steered clear for my first year of sobriety. Didn't really have a desire to mess around with anything that was considered even remotely dangerous. After a year, I tried one. Scared the crap out of me, because it felt like I was drinking. Didn't touch one again for a while. Decided somewhere along the line that I sometimes enjoyed the taste of beer with pizza, and gave it another go. I drank it, no problem, no compulsion kicking in, was literally the same to me as if I drank a coke.

I heard people at meeting talking about the fact that there's alcohol in those things. .05% if I'm not mistaken. Right around that time men's health magazine did a several page article on non alcoholic beers. They stated that the companies are forced by law to state the percentage of alcohol in their product, only because they make the claim of it being non-alcoholic. If they tag it as such, they must include the percentage. If not, they wouldn't have to say anything. Non alcoholic beers contain the same amount (or less) alchohol than a handful of fruit sodas, and many juices. Alcohol that becomes present because of the natural fermentation process that happens. The juice and soda companies don't have to tag their containers however, because they make no claims to being alchohol free. I post this, because it was helpful to clear any illusions that I might be kidding or hurting myself, if ever I drank one of these.

Even with that being so, and while I drink one from time to time, I think it's a very slippery slope. If I buy a 6 pack of o'doulls, it can and has remained in my refridgerator for months. One time even over a year. I have no compulsion to drink it, I don't see it as anything other than a softdrink, it doesn't talk to me, never has (after that very first one), and never kicks up any kind of drinking fantasies. I never miss the buzz when I'm drinkning it, and because of all that I have no issue with having one ocassionally.

If on the other hand I was using it as a substitute for a beer drinking habit, or was drinking a 6 pack a night, buying it by the case, and needed to have it - or anything like that, I would avoid it as if it were pure alcohol. I've heard of people doing this, and I've heard of it eventually leading to picking up a drink, and I simply don't play games that will put me at risk. It's not worth it.

If someone is new, I'd advise staying far away. Some might say why ever even take the chance. I did, but I had a strong program and resolve to back me. It didn't affect me the way it might affect others. If I had an inkling that it might have, I wouldn't have indulged. My $.02.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

It's at the Beer and Wine stores in my part of Maryland. None in the grocery store.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

na beer scares me. I've come too far to get that taste back in my mouth again. that's just me. if others have used it to quit alcohol and enjoy occasionally that's a really good thing.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im on day 40 or so. The first 2-3 weeks I had 2-3 N/A beers per night, in bottles, extra cold, never more than three. Theres' actually a couple of more expensive N/A beers made by Becks and St Pauli Girl that are indistinguishable in taste from regular beer and as good as any premium beer in my opinion. Now I might have one a night or two or maybe just stick with Fresca.

I guess everyone is different but psychologically, in those first couple weeks, having those two beers (with food) really seemed to satisfy me. After drinking them, I didnt want more, simply felt full and content.

Its odd because when I drank, it was vodka, beer and wine on occaision but never to get drunk on. I do agree with others though that if someones drinking problem involved beer, drinking N/A beer might indeed be a "slippery slope" and may cause more problems than it would solve.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never cared for non-alcoholic beers, but when my SO made a big deal of trying to make sure he had a non-alcoholic beer to replace the beers he would drink. He claimed he really liked the taste of beer. I asked him if he would drink decaf coffee. He said no way whats the point! I said but I thought you loved the taste of coffee. Touche.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank to get drunk, so I never understood the point of NA beer
Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
If, "near beer" as it is refered to, is non alcoholic,
then, can anyone buy it? Why is it located in the
beer section of the store if someone in recovery
is learning to abstain from drinking alcohol?...
O'Doul's contains 0.4% alcohol by volume (ABV) so it's really not "alcohol-free"; in the US, you can sell drinks as "non-alcoholic" if the ABV is ≤ 0.5% while in the UK, it needs to be ≤ 0.05% ABV.

If you are wondering about the shelf/aisle placement of such "non-alcoholic" beers in your local convenience store or supermarket, it might depend on which state you live in. In some states, minors can't buy non-alcoholic beers like O'Doul's (for example, Pennsylvania) but it's okay in states like Alaska and Illinois. If you try and visit the O'Doul's commercial homepage, you'll be asked for your DoB/age just as for any other homepage promoting alcoholic beverages.

Finally, it should be pointed out that non-alcoholic beers like O'Doul's are not specifically made for alcoholics or those trying to quit drinking altogether. It's meant for people that may be looking to reduce their consumption temporarily. In fact, some recovery experts may advise you to watch out for so-called non-alcoholic drinks especially if they cause some sort of "trigger-effect" leading to relapse.

If the location of the non-alcoholic drinks you are looking to purchase in the store bothers you (eg. in middle of all the alcoholic drinks), it's probably a prudent thing to look for traditional alcohol-free alternatives like water, juice, teas, coffees etc. Same rationale would apply to alcohol-free mixers -- if having to retrieve them from a sea of alcoholic beverages on display bothers you, time to reconsider. Pay attention and watch out for triggers.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL, this subject again about N/A beer. 0.5% ABV will not get you drunk. You will have to drink about 30 N/A beers in one hour to equal 3 beers of 5% ABV. I don't see anyone drinking that much just to get drunk. Someone can drink N/A beer without problems but other will just switch over to the real stuff if they want to get drunk.

Anyway, N/A beer just taste really bad and don't see how anyone can enjoy it. Alcoholic or not.