Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

my father is a proffesional alcoholic and wont stop drinking :(

Notices

my father is a proffesional alcoholic and wont stop drinking :(

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy my father is a proffesional alcoholic and wont stop drinking :(

Hello,
I can't take it anymore, my dad is hurtingb himself and our family. He has been drinking since he was young. He's been able to hold a job in the same company as a chef for more than 20 yrs. He is fine and fun when he is sober. But when he goes on his drinking binges, he spirals out of control saying things like no one loves him, we don't care about him, he's going to leave, etc etc. He's been doing this since we were babies. My dd is very insecure and has emotional issues with his family. I don't know what to do. I don't want to deal with this but he's my dad and I know he can be better without alcohol, but he keeps going back to it and wasting his money on it instead of helping us. I feel caged, he gets so down when he is alone specially. Idk if I should ask him to go to rehab or what. He's already had a dui and gne to aa meetings and to the swat thing cuz he's been caught rinking and driving.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm very sorry about your situation.

I hope that you can find support for yourself with counselling or at AlAnon.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Meow

(((mIaa00)))

I feel so very bad for you. My husband has a serious problem with drinking - I have a problem too, but less so than him. Plus, I stopped drinking earlier this year. His mood swings like you are describing with your dad, he gets very short tempered with our 16 year old son, and says some stupid things when he's drinking. I try as much as I can to diffuse what he says when he's being stupid or short.

I try to keep the lines of communicaiton very open between our son and me, and I think (and hope and pray) that it helps him to deal with his father. Do you have anyone close that you can talk to like that?

Also, it is very important that you realize that his drinking is not caused by anything you or your family does, and that if you ask him to stop and he does not, that is also not a reflection on anything you do or don't do.

Are you a teen? If so, is there an Alateen available to you? Our son didn't want to go, but one of his friends did and found alot of support there.

Please keep posting and read as much as you can about alcoholism. There's so much good information all over this forum. Maybe having knowledge about the disease will help you to deal with him.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, mIa00 -

I feel for you - alcoholism is so difficult to deal with and understand. There's always hope though - many people do decide at some point to get help.

We have a section for children of alcoholics/addicts that you might find helpful:Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

All the best....
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you well. Prayers to your dad. Try this: Northern Illinois Al-Anon Family Group or this: Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups