Notices

Do you ever have a day where you just cannot deal???

Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever have a day where you just cannot deal???

Today I woke up and the thought of going to work, interacting with others, taking the train, etc. was so OVERWHELMING i called out sick and stayed in bed all day. I am not depressed, don't want to drink, happy that i am on day 17, and i don't know why, but i just could not deal with anything today. Is there a name for this? Has anyone ever felt like this, like you just need a day of ... Nothing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, i feel a little crazy. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lady

I had lots of days where I *thought* I couldn't deal - but I always did

I'm the keep going no matter what kind of guy...thats my way...but I don't think the odd 'mental health day' hurts if you think you need it - but if you were finding you feel that way a lot, it might be good to look for some help?

D
Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Your body and your brain are both going through a lot of changes right now. It's pretty normal to feel this way so early in recovery. Nothing in the world wrong with taking a mental health day once in a while.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. Hang in there, it'll get better.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a lot more of those when I was drinking....A lot more. I think everyone deserves a little break now and then....Nice job on the 17 days. Are you looking into some kind of recovery plan? Lot of options here. Look into it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Lady))) - not only am I a recovering addict (crack) but a recovering codie (codependent). I'm coming up on 5 years clean, and I STILL have those kind of days, though they are far, far less frequent.

In early recovery, they came more often. I've found I don't listen well to my body - I can be hungry, angry, lonely AND tired (HALT) for a while. I've ignored it, focused on how I SHOULD be doing which made me feel worse. Oh, did I mention I'm quite stubborn, I used to be an RN and I KNOW better?

These days, I set time limits as in "I will wallow in my pity party/stay in bed/whatever for x amount of time"...rarely more than a few minutes/hours, but have had to take a day OFF from whatever is going on.

I come here, I talk about my "funk" and what is going on with me. I curl up with my furbabies, watch reruns of my favorite TV shows, then I force myself to get on with life the next day. Even then, it's not always what I feel like doing, but part of my recovery is being the "dependable and responsible" person I can be...I have to work, I have to do school work, I have to......

I get in my car, plug in my mp3 and play music that makes me smile, car dance, and feel gratitude. I LOOK for things to be grateful for..the meadow I pass that has goats..LOVE baby goats, sunshine, my car is running, I have a job...whatever. I say "thank you" to my HP. I say "thank you" that I have feelings, even when they hurt or just don't feel good.

I spent too many years (okay a couple of decades) not being able to "feel" my feelings.

I have learned to trust in what ((Ann)) taught me here..."the difference between a bad day and a good day is...about 2 days"

Give yourself a hug for getting to 17 days sober and imagine all of us hugging you, too. Oh, and give yourself a break We don't undo all that we did with alcohol/drugs in a matter of days.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyNoBinge View Post
Today I woke up and the thought of going to work, interacting with others, taking the train, etc. was so OVERWHELMING i called out sick and stayed in bed all day. I am not depressed, don't want to drink, happy that i am on day 17, and i don't know why, but i just could not deal with anything today. Is there a name for this? Has anyone ever felt like this, like you just need a day of ... Nothing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, i feel a little crazy. Thanks in advance.
I had a day like that today too ... did as little as possible.
Cleaned up and went to a meeting tonight. We'll be fine.

All the best Lady.

Bob R
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

it happens. I try to walk through days like that the best I can but I have instances where ive taken personal days like you. its happens very infrequently these days, but some days the best I can do is not drink or use drugs, and that is a victory in itself. don't beat yourself up.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't know. Can't say this ever happened to me.