Notices

Who's quit the booze and cigs too?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Who's quit the booze and cigs too?

Just am so proud of myself! Have been to liquor stores to buy cigarettes, glance at the wall of bottles and have no desire to do that again and feeling like its not a part of me anymore. I like the way I am now. Now if I could just ditch the cigs. But am just not ready for that yet. Has anyone out there quit smoking around the same time they quit the booze? I think I am scared of another kind of withdrawal. But sure am thinking alot about giving it a try sometime soon...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I stopped the smoking and switched to an e-cig (vaping (a Joye eGo at the time)) in November 2010, didn't have a cigarette again until the time I quit drinking... The truth is my stash of liquid nicotine had lost it potency and one day was VERY close to picking up an 18-pack of beer, but I turned away and bought a pack of smokes instead... I am not happy that I did that (and smoked 'em + a few more packs since), but I did not buy that beer. And now I am back to just vaping. When I stopped the cigs I know for sure there are more addictive substances in them than just the nicotine, took about two(+) weeks to stop craving 'the other' stuff.

Oh and Congrats with the liquor, I too just walk right on by it now.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really wanted to and was ready to quit smoking when I got sober but my wife actually got really upset with me about it! She was afraid I would take smoking away from her too (she quit drinking shortly after I did out of support - I never asked or expected that btw).

I smoked and chewed - at the same time. I finally quit the chew about 3 months ago.

I'm ready to take another run at quitting smoking. I was taking Wellbutrin for depression and I was down to only 6 cigs a day. Since going off it I'm back to 15 a day and probably closing back into a pack where I was.

If quitting smoking will keep you out of the liquor store then it would seem even more advantageous but you will have to decide what to do if you see it getting in the way of sobriety.

Good luck with it and don't get discouraged.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit smoking at the end of my pregnancy, about two months before my son was born. Better late than never! I havent smoke a cigarette since! Unfortunately I ended up stuffing my face with sugary goodies for six months and now i'm dealing with the repercussions. Didn't gain much weight with my pregnancy but sure did afterwards.. just made me think about how much I ignored hungry and chose to drink drug and smoke! I'm 8 months cigarette free!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not yet for me. I mentioned in another thread my doctor in rehab didn't even recommend it for me....I had enough of a gorilla to fight with. I think I'll quit at the one year mark...God willing I make it. I have a friend in AA ...He has 2 years and he's stopped for 3 weeks now...He's using that vaping cig that Scolova was talking about. That looks interesting to me and I might try that. I like the fact that he just sits in the meetings and takes hits off it...I guess you could do that in Church if you wanted too. People look at him....Like what the hell are you doing? Too funny. I don't know....I deal with that when I get to it. It won't be today.

P.S.....Congrats jrsmama11....Good for you!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about a year AFTER I stopped drinking. I gave it a try earlier but found it was just too much to give up at once. I think it is healthier to get one thing under your belt at a time then you will be successful at both over time. They are both really difficult to stop & both may be just too overwhelming at once.
Good luck to you & you should be proud of yourself!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did both at once, but I seem to be in the minority.
I'm glad I did though

D
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I did both at once, but I seem to be in the minority.
I'm glad I did though

D
You're a freak though Dee....
Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

in the good way I hope Sap

I only ever smoked when I drank - but that was pretty much chain smoking by the end - it just seemed to be the right way to approach it for me...

yet other people I know nearly went insane doing it that way...

D
Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Of course in a good way....You quit drinking on your own...You got your sh!t together on your own...And now you are going to tell me you quit smoking at the same time? You did all the things us normal alcoholics aren't supposed to do. God bless you brother!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I smoked for 24 years. I have been smoke free for almost 3 years now.

Getting off the smokes was one of the very best things I ever did.Life seems so clean and healthy since I quit. My only regret is that I didn't quit sooner.

My best advice to those still drinking and smoking? Focus on the recovery from alcohol first. Craving smokes may trigger a crave for booze. Frankly, take things one step at a time. Staying sober lays the framework for other healthy advances in life such as exercise and being smoke free.

Just my two cents. Good day everyone!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I continued smoking for about six months after I got sober, but I haven't had a cigarette in over a year and a half and 2+ years without a drink or drug. feels great!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm trying to quit also. Been only a month sober. Really was gonna try today but I buckled. Maybe, it's too soon. But I won't give up. Try again tomorrow.
A good read for quiting is Never Take Another Puff by Joel Spitzer ? Sp.
One day at a time.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I couldn't quit both at the same time, I tried. I quit drinking February 8, 2011 and then ditched the smokes 9 months later. Neither was easy but wow I feel better now than I have for several years.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My therapist doesn't want me to quit smoking right now, focus on one thing at a time. But I'm ignoring her, once this pack is gone, it's the last pack I buy hopefully.. three left, just to make it through V-Day lol
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I stopped both at the same time - after past failures of quitting drinking yet refusing to give up the smokes I realized they went hand in hand, like brother/sister. Looking back, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 2 weeks after I stopped drinking... compared to not drinking it was a walk in the park! I smoked for 9 years, pack a day. Just use the skills you learned during your quit from alcohol - playing the tape all the way through, urge surfing, etc.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Very Cool ! Thank you for your input! Lot's of good advice and ideas! Good Luck to You too!