Notices

here we go....

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here we go....

Hi guys

Just beginning the sober journey and wanted to ask the (i pressume) common question "when will i begin to feel good?"

Had my last drink 4am yesterday (sunday morning) - dont feel TOO bad i must admit, but beginning to feel anxious and nervous and time seems to be blurring and slowing down...

I didnt expect this to be easy as done it before, but cant seem to remember how long it took before i began to feel good again...

Any help??
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that feeling good comes and goes. It tends to appear more for me when I'm with a person that encourages my sobriety, but also understand what I'm feeling. I don't think there is a certain time after sobering up that you start to feel good. Everybody is different. Just remember that no matter how it feels, using feels worse. It will eventually get better. EASY DOES IT!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it varies for person to person - it even varies for each person I think.

Sometimes I felt good after a day or two - most times it took anything up to a week tho

D
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brit28 View Post
I didnt expect this to be easy as done it before, but cant seem to remember how long it took before i began to feel good again...

Any help??
I guess my question has to be...If you have done it before...Are you going to do the same thing you did before?...Which seems to have you right back here to square one.
You are right...It's not easy...It takes some work. As far as feeling good goes...For me...Every day I don't have a drink...I feel a little better....It's funny how that works.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I guess my question has to be...If you have done it before...Are you going to do the same thing you did before?...Which seems to have you right back here to square one.
You are right...It's not easy...It takes some work. As far as feeling good goes...For me...Every day I don't have a drink...I feel a little better....It's funny how that works.
Hi...yes, I have been here numerous times....BUT there is a big difference this time, I have 2.5 years psychotherapy under my belt... and Im not taking drugs any more.... so hopefully this time will be the last time. Im seriously bored of the whole thing, i dont get any joy out of drinking any more, just a reduction in anxiety, which I suspect is caused in the main by the alcohol anyway...

Its a ****** habit Ive got to break, I owe it to my girlfriend and kid, and to myself, not to sit drunk watching tv every night.... ive being doing it for 20 years, and achieved not very much in that time (apart from my daughter, which is the greatest achievement of all, but imagine how great it would be if we also had loads of cash too from me being a winner instead of such a bum all these years).

I know it will feel good sooner or later, just got to hang in there
Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I felt bad for 2 weeks, up & down. After one month, I feel fine. I don't miss it at all. Life is truly better now. Hang in there & fight. A month or so of pain is worth a lifetime of peace. You can do it!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thannks Purplecatlover!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Going for walks usally lifts my spirits when I need a quick pick me up.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best description I have read on SR is that it is a roller coaster ride. You will probably feel great one day and like crap the next. My ride has flattened out after about three weeks. Yours may be longer or shorter as it is different for everyone. The roller coaster ride sucks but it is so worth it and it isn't half has bad as the booze ride back to misery!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me the original depression and anxiety went away after a couple of days. First and second night being the hardest. Gets better after that
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are you doing anything to feel better or just sitting there waiting for it to happen? You have a big hole to fill with the absence of your substance. Find something productive that you enjoy to fill it. Take a class, volunteer, get a hobby, Far too many of us fail because we expect a miracle. Recovery is work. It does take willpower! Get out there and enjoy life!