Notices

Is there any hope for an atheist?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bostonluv knows atheists who are spiritual. Reading this I wondered about just what is the meaning of "spirituality". If one is listening to great music or watching a glorious sunset and suddenly you seem to be tingling all over, is that "spirituality"? Suddenly it seems as if you were encountering something bigger, far bigger, than you are. I've felt that way when I first looked at the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley or Niagara Falls. Is that spirituality? Recovery from alcoholism can lead to something similar. An awareness, all of a sudden, or perhaps gradually, that this is the way it is supposed to be that somehow it has been given back to you, something you lost for a long long while, and that in a curious way you have come home. Is this "spirituality"? Need one believe in a conventional "God" for this to happen? And what of those who say that it will never happen unless one believes in a conventional "God" or, indeed, the very "God" they profess to believe in? Perhaps you prefer to go back and look at the Canyon, the Falls or if you prefer look into the eyes of the one you love.

W.