Notices

It's a bit rediculous

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a bit rediculous

Well I just joined the site today after spending a few nights in a dive hotel room. I have a husband that love with all my heart. He is an Iraq veteral and just finally realizing his PTSD.

When we met a few years back he was drinking a lot just to forget and I was drinking a lot to forget being beaten up and raped before I met him. He continually helped me through those things and tried to keep me safe when I would get to blackout and angry.

I owe him a lot and he has since quit drinking while he works through his issues. It is a very emotional process for him and I am doing my best to be his rock.
However a few days ago I hate to say it but I took advantage of a weak moment for him and bought a case of beer. I am only about 150 lbs but somehow I can and did drink quite a lot of it myself.
He hates when I get drunk because I become angry. I believe I take out on him my anger for men in my past. I didnt quite get it because I do not remember.

I get it now. I left drunk from the house after getting mad at him for asking me a question. Long story short I rerended a car. Talked to cops somehow passed a breathalizer and then was given a ride to a hotel. Then bought more beer and called everyone to rant about my husband.

I now have to pick up the peices and for the first time KNOW i have a real problem....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You absolutely have come to the right place. The people here are so kind and caring and will help you through this difficult time if you let them. I am new here too but have been reading daily for the last 45 days of being sober and have learned soooooo much. You can be okay if you let yourself.....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

I hope the storey gets better from here. Alcohol never really improves things.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newgir1 View Post
I owe him a lot and he has since quit drinking while he works through his issues. It is a very emotional process for him and I am doing my best to be his rock.
However a few days ago I hate to say it but I took advantage of a weak moment for him and bought a case of beer. I am only about 150 lbs but somehow I can and did drink quite a lot of it myself.
I'm not real sure I understand this....But are you saying you got him to drink with you? Maybe I'm reading that wrong. Anyways...That's a tough spot you're in....Be grateful you were spared the DUI and you didn't do more damage or hurt somebody. I don't know how you passed the breath test. One positive is he's trying to stop....but it sounds like you both have some serious issues to deal with...Maybe some kind of counseling for each of you..either seperate or together. Best advice I can give you is don't drink...That's not going to help either one of you. Get some kind of plan together and stay away from it. I feel for you and I wish you the best...But you got some work to do.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Newgirl,

The rape and bashing are very real traumas and should be addressed. Butyou need to do this sober.

You may not be an alcoholic that is for you to decide but your drinking is making your life unmanageable and not the person who you really are or can be.

It is an amazing opportunity for you to get your life in order and fortunately your husband wants to address his trauma.

I feel very much for you and I admire and respect your honesty, one of the main things you have to be to get sober.

I wish you all the best on your road to healing and recovery.

CaiHong
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR newgirl

This place helped me turn my life around - I know you'll find a lot of help and support here too

D
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome newgir1

It sounds like you have both been through a lot in your lives. You have been given a wakeup call & were spared a DUI, please make sure you make the best of it. You & your husband have a chance to make changes & have a good life together without alcohol or drugs.

Its hard at first to get sober but so wonderful once you do, please get some help with you problems & put everything you can into making this work. You both deserve it.

Keep posting, reading & sharing. We are here for you.

Cheers ~ NB
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You can stay stopped!! One day, one hour, or one minute at a time. Just do it!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hopeful

Thanks for the welcome and honesty everyone

Happy to say I am going in on Monday to eval and start an outpatient program.
Good Luck to me
Old 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

great decision newgirl

D
Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome
Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you newgir1....A great start to a new life! Be strong and keep an open mind.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The best thing I ever did was let the professionals take over for a while. It gave me the space and the courage to really look at the mess I had become, I was able to deal with hurtful and bad things from my past and slowly now, day by day, and with the help of a lot of people and my god I am a little better. My thoughts are with you and I wish you all the best ...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good to have you with us, newgir1!