Notices

what do I do?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what do I do?

this may sound sorta dumb: I admit I can't control my drinking. I think I should try AA. What do I do? Just show up at a meeting? Seems really hard
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some good info here on AA if you're interested Samwitch
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

D
Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D, I'm still really hesitant to go
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Samwitch,
perhaps you could call AA and meet a member for coffee and have them take you.

That,s what happened to me.

I think that would not be out of the question. if I lived near you it would be my pleasure to do that and I believe most AAs feel the same.

CaiHong
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did call, they seemed very uninterested
I was surprised at the lack of help
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

google groups in your area. call each group til someone answers that is nice...usually they are supportive... but i have ran into some rude ppl though in meetings..theres rude ppl everywhere lol...thats not our problem its theirs and it has nothing to with our recovery. dont let that stop you!! i just showed up and was welcomed for the most part. make sure to speak up and let the group know you are new!! if you dont speak up they wont know...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah--just feel really intimidated
not sure what to expect and was surprised by the un interest of the person on the phone
Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It might help you to pinpoint what exactly seems so hard about going to a meeting. Is it being shy, being a stranger among strangers, haven't done it before, being ashamed, blah blah? If you go through those, you can realize many people have been where you are. All different types of people have a drinking problem and they all have things in common. They aren't identical , but they have things in common. You think you can't control your drinking and feel like you are one of them; so there you have a lot less to feel afraid of already.

That's the logical way of looking at it anyway.

You could pick a night that is "Open" and you could go to a location that is not in your immediate neighbourhood if that makes you less edgy.

If you don't think it's the right thing -even after attending - you can look for other methods and continue using this site in the meantime.

I quit by myself and then started using this site a couple of months into it, because it felt like I needed to talk about it. I also wondered about medical issues, and wanted to see what other people described. I didn't include medical supervision when I quit, and I don't recommend that to anyone.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Hi Samwitch,
perhaps you could call AA and meet a member for coffee and have them take you.

That,s what happened to me.

I think that would not be out of the question. if I lived near you it would be my pleasure to do that and I believe most AAs feel the same.

CaiHong
That is exactly what we do.
And it is not a completely selfless act because it helps us too.
When you are feeling completely messed up in the mind it can be of great solace to be around someone who has been where you are and understands how you feel without having to constantly explain yourself.
That person was there for me when I needed it and I couldn't imagine keeping that incredible gift all to myself.
Call the AA number again. Where I live different groups take phone duty different hours of each month. I can't know what that first call was all about but I know that when members show up to answer phones they don't hope they don't ring. They're not getting paid, after all.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
yeah--just feel really intimidated
not sure what to expect and was surprised by the un interest of the person on the phone
Try again today...Maybe you just caught someone having a bad day. Explain your situation and I'm sure you'll get help. Probably a ride to the meeting. Of course you are going to be a little intimidated...It's a little out of your comfort zone...You have to have a little courage sometimes when you try and overcome something that is tearing your life apart...When you go...Relax and enjoy it....Just sit and listen. It's a room full of people just like you...That want the same thing you want. And a lot of them already got it...Listen to them harder. Have fun...I think you'll like it.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Read that first link about what to expect and then just go to the next meeting that feels right based on time and place. They will ask if this is anyone's first meeting and you can introduce yourself. This way you'll meet many people eager to help and point you in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SW, the 8 people who've posted to try to help you may in your mind offset the one who didn't care if you went or not. 8 being larger than 1.

Don't use the 1 as your excuse to stay sick.

Hope you'll post about your experience whenever you get over the uninterested phone person and wind up going. Remember to show up early and let them know you're new and don't want to drink again.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I should try AA. What do I do? Just show up at a meeting? Seems really hard

Why is it hard?

Everbody in there is an alcoholic and you are going there because you have a drinking problem. They are not going to judge you.

It's your choice, go to a meeting and learn about a solution that has helped many alcoholics. Or don't go, stay home, and remain miserable.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice

Appreciated. I'll call back today, and talk some more. I probably sounded kinda desparate last night anyway, so today will be better since my head is clearer.

Not sure why I see this as such a hurdle, maybe by going I'm admitting that I have a problem? Which is ridiculous, I know, because clearly I do.

I for sure want to stop being miserable!

thanks again everyone.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please let us know how how things turn out, Samwitch. I have alot of the same trepidation as you but am really considering going to a meeting in my area. I hate the thought of being thrust into the unknown and the possibility of people bombarding me with questions. I'm very private and to me, this is very daunting, if that makes sense. Wishing you every success!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Samwitch, I am so sorry you had a negative response over the phone. I answer phones at my local Intergroup and I've never worked with another person who wasn't cheerful or helpful when someone call us. Sometimes when I am really upset or scared, I project my fears.

Please ask where a local meeting is and just get there. Hopefully people will be more helpful in person. We are all scared in the beginning. You aren't alone anymore.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear, your post means a lot to me. I appreciate the not being alone part. I'm going to do what needs to be done to beat this addiction once and for all.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I agree with the others - give it another try. Whoever answered the phone may have been distracted or had something else going on, or was having a bad night themselves. Getting sober and healthy is definitely worth trying again.

I called the AA hotline totally drunk and out of my mind but someone did call me back, and the next day she picked me up and took me to my first meeting. I felt horrible going in there hungover and sickly, but everyone totally embraced me and welcomed me and I left there with a stack of phone numbers of people I could call if I needed help. That seems to be the majority experience from what I've heard. Since my first meeting, I've made quite a few sober friends and we go out and do fun stuff together and support each other. It definitely makes a difference to know that you aren't alone.

You have us here at SR too. Don't give up - your sobriety is well worth the effort.