Notices

H just poured himself a drink in front of me

Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, everyone. I feel really blessed to have found this community and you guys helped me so much last night. The urge was very strong - but waking up clear and puffless (lol) this morning makes me see how much sobriety is worth it. I can't remember a Saturday where I haven't been fuzzy and hungover. Sad.
I also noticed last night that after the one drink that H poured, he didn't pour himself another. This is definitely very odd for him so maybe he'll ride along with me on the sober train after all? But I also realized that although it would be grand to have a partner that quit drinking along with me, that I can't and won't worry about what he does when it comes to drinking.
Lead by example...very wise words indeed.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Waking up without those awful hangovers, and the horrible guilt and embarrasment are priceless!

You can get sober no matter the circumstances.

God bless.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes lead by example. And It is not like we can demand or fight about it, or at least not me. What leg to I have to stand on?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tulips77 View Post
but waking up clear and puffless (lol) this morning makes me see how much sobriety is worth it. I
Enjoy your day!! Glad you feel so good.

Don't forget to spend some time today planning for a pleasant evening tonight. Think about what you want to do *for you* ....plan something good to eat, a fun movie to watch, a hobby to work on, a good book or magazine...

Spend some time visualizing how great your evening will be and how great you'll feel. Plan the time in your head! Think about how awesome you'll feel tomorrow morning - not to mention Monday morning

Then enjoy your evening! You should feel proud of yourself and your progress - you've earned it!!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Yes lead by example. And It is not like we can demand or fight about it, or at least not me. What leg to I have to stand on?
Rochele - You're doing great too! Congrats on staying strong last night! You'll soon have both legs to stand on !!

You mentioned making jewelry - sounds like fun - you must be very talented. I've always been amazed at people that can handle the tiny beads and create beautiful pieces.

Maybe to get back into jewelry making you could plan to make a gift for someone?? I knit and crochet and sometimes it is easier to pick designs for others than for myself.

Maybe you could spend some time today searching for patterns - maybe run for supplies. You could have a lovely evening working on a gift while having a nice, hot cup of coffee/tea. Music or movie playing in the background..... You get the idea

Go for it! Don't wait for life to get fun - seize the time and make plans for yourself. It always helps me!

Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know. I think, right now, I am still a bit tired and depressed from giving up the drink. Hard to snap out of that. It is just day 5.

I feel glad that I was tired last night but took the kids out to a store to get away from the drinking and do something positive for them. They needed valentines. And, my son was able to wake up and do his all on his own at 6:30 am! Had I been drinking, that would not have happened. I would still be in bed, and they would be begging me all day to go get them.

It is so clear, when sober, to see what a waste of time regular drinking truly is. At its best. Just a huge waste fo time. And yet it still beckons. Just crazy.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tulips, you're doing great and as you said, it's best to not focus on your husband drinking, but to use your energy for your own recovery.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can sit now with someone who is drinking, even if it is right in front of me, and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. The smell of strong liquor actually makes me want to gag. I don't make a habit of hanging out with people who are drinking, but I have accepted that some people can drink normally, I can't, and I can't impose my own recovery on someone else - it is best to just focus on my own sobriety. Though I struggled with feelings of resentment about it in the early days.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about this "H" guy. Maybe avoiding him would help a little.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Matt, since "H" means husband, it would be quite difficult avoiding him. ;-)