Notices

Sober date and weed question

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober date and weed question

So...I smoked weed about 4 times since my last drink and all other drugs on 11/23/11. I recognize that weed is a drug and it's illegal and it's against the house rules where I live. And my NA clean date is 2/6/2012. However, I believe (set me straight if I am wrong) that my AA sober date remains 11/23/11. It's important for me to celebrate a victory over the very destructive alcohol, opiates, benzos and meth that I have not done in that time. May I pick up my 90 day chip at an AA Meeting on or after February 21st? Or would this be considered dishonesty? Opinions are welcomed.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bostonluv

Congratulations on staying sober. You can celebrate your victory and proudly receive your 90 day medal, but unfortunately you are picking up another addiction Im afraid.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your likely to get all kinds of answers and I don't believe that one is more correct than another. Only you can decide how you define your sobriety. However, for me, sobriety means sobriety from all drugs and alcohol.

My drug of choice was alcohol, and though I have smoked my share of marijauna in my life, I never really enjoyed it. That said, occasional my addictive mind gets thinking that I can smoke a little. What's the harm right?!?! Afterall, it was alcohol abuse that carried all the negative consequences with it, not weed.

I find when these crazy thoughts hit me, I am not working my program the way the way I should be. I am losing my spiritual connection with my higher power. Most often it is because MarylandRick is trying to take over again and prying the steering wheel away from my higher power. For some reason, I am trying to fill a void and I have to figure out what is missing.

For me, smoking weed in that time or using something, even if it's not alcohol, may not have immediate negative consequences but I believe it would be taking one GIANT leap closer to the first drink..... and that will kill me.

Bottom line, I want to live a sober, happy life. That means complete sobriety. If I am trying to fill avoid with another substance, in my opinion, I am not following the principles set forth in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your likely to get all kinds of answers and I don't believe that one is more correct than another. Only you can decide how you define your sobriety. However, for me, sobriety means sobriety from all drugs and alcohol.

My drug of choice was alcohol, and though I have smoked my share of marijauna in my life, I never really enjoyed it. That said, occasional my addictive mind gets thinking that I can smoke a little. What's the harm right?!?! Afterall, it was alcohol abuse that carried all the negative consequences with it, not weed.

I find when these crazy thoughts hit me, I am not working my program the way the way I should be. I am losing my spiritual connection with my higher power. Most often it is because MarylandRick is trying to take over again and prying the steering wheel away from my higher power. For some reason, I am trying to fill a void and I have to figure out what is missing.

For me, smoking weed in that time or using something, even if it's not alcohol, may not have immediate negative consequences but I believe it would be taking one GIANT leap closer to the first drink..... and that will kill me.

Bottom line, I want to live a sober, happy life. That means complete sobriety. If I am trying to fill avoid with another substance, in my opinion, I am not following the principles set forth in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, smoking weed in that time, even if it's not alcohol, may not have immediate negative consequences but I believe it would be taking one GIANT leap closer to the first drink..... and that will kill me.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, that decision is up to you.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I apologize for the triple post.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is your sobriety and I would say the choice is yours and yours alone.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

to be honest BL I'm not really worried about the chip issue - thats your call.

I am worried tho that you're still looking for ways to get high & escape - doesn't that worry you too?

D
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes it is up to you. Alcohol was my final DOC but my 1st intervention was about cocaine and i spent a nasty week kicking opium/vicodin a couple years before i got clean. so i go to AA and NA . In the strictest sense of AA , you have remained "sober" i.e. no booze. If you are going to NA however, there, we realize we must "abstain from ALL drugs in order to recover"

lots of groups add "and Pot" after the sentence where we read : "Alcohol is a drug [period]"

like has been said - your "sober " date is up to you [what does your sponsor advise?]i have found a broad range in AA meetings . Some, where drugs [other than booze] are discussed openly to others where 'drug talk' is not tolerated...

BTW - been around a fair number of "marijuana maintenance" recovering alcoholics. None had what i want in recovery....
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NAIOU

AA says drugs are an outside issue. So it is up to you what you do. NA says don't be confused about alcohol. Alcohol is a drug. Logo
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You guys are great.

Dee - yes it does concern me which I why I wrote this in my original post: "I recognize that weed is a drug and it's illegal and it's against the house rules where I live."

The question isn't whether I compromised myself and escaped through a drug. I know I did and I admit that. I do not want to or intend to use weed again. It's something I am working on. But...does the one thing have anything to do with the other? My feeling is...maybe. Hope that doesn't sound defensive. I wanted and appreciate everyone's input for sure. I will also pray about this. The house manager and my housemates know about this as well as my sponsor. It's just something I am not sure about. Chewing on your thoughts and ideas as well.

Again, thank you!!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are talking about AA then that pertains only to Alcohol. NA pertains to narcotics so I would say that you have two separate sobriety dates. Best wishes for you.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you feel as if you are lying bout working an honest program of sobriety?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
It's important for me to celebrate a victory over the very destructive alcohol, opiates, benzos and meth that I have not done in that time.
If it's important to you then you should celebrate it and get the chip, if you ask me.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SugarBear - No. Honestly, I don't feel dishonest which why I wanted opinions. It's progress not perfection correct? I'm damn proud of what I have accomplished and although I need to aim for complete sobriety I want to celebrate my victories instead of beating myself up for my mistakes.

Josh - Thank you. It is important to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know the way I look at it BL.....If it was something I was 100% sure of...I wouldn't have needed to put this thread up here to begin with. To thine own self be true....You know?

and although I need to aim for complete sobriety

Thoughts like this will bother you forever.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I say take the chip if it keeps you motivated and inspired to stay on the right path. Do whatever it takes to stay sober. Maybe use the 90 day chip as incentive and a reminder of how you feel right now in regards to weed? That being said, I'm only 20 days in, and I know a lot of the folks here are much wiser than me
Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I never took a chip because I didn't feel honest as I wasn't drinking alcohol, but I was smoking weed. I finally just started drinking again. For me, pot was just another form of alcohol in that it got me out of my anxiousness, etc. Fast forward 25 years....Today, I have 271 days of continuous totally clean/sober time. I feel like I can accomplish anything today, wait, I have done things I could never do while smoking or drinking!

My AA friend started smoking spice, now she's smoking weed. She has a 1 year old and a (not very good) relationship with the baby's father. All of her behavior makes sense to me now.... she just couldn't get the program to "work" for her. She came clean to her sponsor, finally. Have you discussed this honestly with your sponsor? What did the sponsor suggest? You do what you want, get that chip, you haven't had a drink; many people feel justified.