Notices

82 days in

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 82 days in

Hi everyone,
I just joined the site last night because even though I'm almost 3 months without a drink I feel like I'm starting to feel an anxiety that I haven't really before. It hasn't been easy especially maneuvering social situations with people (like my former boss) who I don't feel like telling I'm an alcoholic which is something I have a hard time saying out loud to begin with. I'm 26 and from the outside appear to have a pretty charmed life and in many respects i do. I feel so lucky to have a great family and friends, had a great job and now go to a top tier university, but my drinking problem is/has been a tremendous struggle.
Anyway, I'm getting increasingly nervous about social situations and don't know how to handle them.
Tonight, I have a girls night out with some of my old coworkers and even though they know I dont drink, they definitely don't understand the seriousness of it. When I tell people I don't drink (and more people ask than I would've thought) they assume it's just for the night or something or say you could have just one though right? We are going to dinner at 10 PM and "meeting for drinks" beforehand and I don't know it's making me feel so uneasy. We a also likely to go out after to a lounge or something where the main activity of course is drinking. These are close friends so i know they won't judge me but it's almost unchartered territory. I'm usually with my boyfriend who is very supportive or have been at parties where I can blend in or leave quickly
In April, I have my best friend's bachelorette party for which the main activity will be a wine tasting at a vineyard. How in god's name do I get around that one?!
Do social situations like this ever get easier? I think I'm having a really hard time grasping after 3 months that there's no hump to get over and then I can start drinking again. This is it, I'm done and I don't want to go back! But it feels like an uphill battle. Should I go to an AA meeting? I felt like up until now I didn't need to since I was able to quit by myself.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance!!
Kiki
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I were in the same situation I would offer to be the designated driver that will not be touching any alcohol. That would work for the bachelorette party for sure if there is going to be traveling from spot to spot. Other than that, your sobriety is far more important than a night out. I'd just bail if you think you are going to end up in a bad situation
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

I have a good friend from school who never drank when we went out, and since we are in a large city, the designated driver excuse wasn't necessary b/c everyone cabbed it.

Anyway, we were all cool with it, but her explanation was simply that it was an all-around health issue, that she felt some undiagnosed allergy that made her sick for days after drinking. In her case, she somewhat attributed it to having undergone chemo, but she actually just didn't want to drink.

I think your real friends will understand and not pressure you if you gently explain that there are serious health consequences and leave it at that. That is true, after all!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. Do you think I should consider an AA meeting at this point when things are starting to get harder for me? I don't know what to expect from meetings, but would like to hear if you have been and what you think.