Notices

Looking for HELP

Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for HELP

Hi everyone, heres my dilemma. I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction.

I was off heroin for some time. I was on subutex maintenance for about 6 months. My insurance decided they wouldn't cover the subutex anymore and so I relapsed. I've been on heroin for about a month now.

I want to get off but have a few concerns.

If I go through my insurance for help then I will be labeled a drug addict and that will permanently scar my record and probably cost me alot of extra money in the future for health insurance coverage, etc. I could go through my insurance for rehab or for suboxone therapy, I'm just worried about the consequences. Paying for rehab or suboxone therapy out of pocket would be very expensive.

I could go to a methadone clinic but the one near my home is full of such assholes! The doctor and people in charge are such jerks that it makes me not want to go there. However, they offer counseling etc and I only have to pay like $10 a day. The only record will be with them and my insurance should never find out about it so I wont be labeled a drug addict by them forever.

I really want to beat this guys and don't know which route I should go.

Should I just deal with the jerks and go to the methadone clinic? This is probably the cheapest way next to having my insurance pay for therapy.

Or, should I save some money and get much better help through my insurance and possibly go to rehab or get some suboxone therapy with counseling, etc. BUT, get labeled as a drug addict forever and deal with the potential future consequences.

I don't know what else to do.

I appreciate the help people, thanks!

Looking forward to some good advice.

BTW, I'm in Southern California.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you attending NA meetings in your area?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tryinghard

Welcome - I have no experience to offer, but you could do well to check out this forum as well

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I guess you have to weigh up the monetary costs against the personal inconvenience?

D
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you want to get off this stuff...Which option gives you the best chance?...Sounds like you have the Methadone clinic pretty well scoped out...I'd take the chances of rehab and counseling (maybe one that is NA oriented.) over dealing with potential future consequences....While you still have a future to think about. Best of luck to you..
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TH - I can give you some context on insurance, but you are best served talking to somebody from your States Department of Health and/or Insurance. ***This is what I understand, please get confirmation***

First, as a rule of thumb all your care is HIPAA covered. It can't be shared with anybody you don't authorize it to be shared with. Even from and Insurance perspective, their systems and claims process only deal with your condition as a function of paying or assessing medical necessity. They don't actually opine on it. Second, Insurance premiums on the medical side are not usually set on an individual basis. What this means, is that usually, medical premiums are established prices, filed with the department of Insurance. They can't fluctuate them for you specifically. If you are covered through an employer, then your payroll deduction or cost of coverage should not change. The only concern I'd have is a "pre-existing condition". i.e. they won't cover this illness in the future if you get a new carrier. This however usually doesn't apply if you have continuos and creditable coverage, meaning, you current carrier covers you. If you change carriers tomorrow, they can't exclude the pre-existing condition because you had continuous prior coverage.

All of what I said should be validated with your State Department of Health or Insurance. Outside of that, I'd say - go for the best care you can.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I used to live in Southern CA and went to rehab. I can remember going to methodone clinics w/ other ladies in the program and it seems likes such bondage to me.

I would try cold turkey or rehab w/out meds. You can do this, you have before. LILY
Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

PS I went thru Kaiser Permanente and that part of my life never followed me. They did give me a few meds to detox...captapress and something else.