Notices

Neurontin/Gabapentin withdrawal...ruining my own life!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Man, I know the feeling! I was an addict to Roxy's and Methadone for three years yet those withdrawals do not hold a candle to these! And what a kick in the butt, I clean up my act for a year only to be put on something for lower back pain that was not suppose to be addicting! While I don't crave them as I did Methadone and such I do have nasty depression once stopping them. The first time I felt it was only after being on them a month! I didn't pick a my script and woke feeling like I was in hardcore withdrawal. I was like what the??!! I didn't put it together till later on after taking them and went online right away. I was scared to death! What I did was take some mild pain pills for a few days to help with lowing my dose to nothing. I was taking 300 3xdaily. So that the restless legs, awful head pain, feeling like I was going to gag as soon as food touched my lips, hot/cold sweats and anxiety could pass a bit. After about 5 days I stopped that as not to become dependent on something else. Now I'm left with depressing and anxiety. In the morning it's always the worse! I'm not interested in much...little energy but I'm able to eat and sleep a good 8 hours at least. With Methadone withdrawal I would go days with out sleep till my body was like yea ok...good night...for 45 mins filled with awful dreams. I'm happy about that since insomnia sucks! But I just hate feeling so blah all day and wish it would end! It's been about 7 months. I flushed two bottles of 600mg tabs down the drain so I didn't give into taking them to feel ok for a bit...not worth it. I wasn't taking the full amount ever that's how I had so much left over. I also gave away a lot to someone who used it to help with Methadone withdrawal. I would say, go down very slow, get to the smallest amount you can as I did. And even then expect to feel like heck. But not heck on a stick :0) Good luck to us all! Oh and I can honestly say I feel better today (Sunday) then I did Tuesday. This is my second week off everything. With one week on a mild pain pill to help me along.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wanted to edit what I said above. When I put 7 months, I mean that I was taking them. Actually 6 months and 3 weeks by looking at my first filled bottle date.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

gabapentin withdrawal

Originally Posted by skiths87 View Post
YGG-

Thank you so much for reaching out to contact me. I would love to say I survived the withdrawals and stopped the medication, however I just lowered my dosage and am still depending on Gabapentin to get through my daily life. I've made several attempts since the original post to stop it but I truly haven't found any way to deal with it and continue normally...

I also take an extremely high dosage and I honestly can say I think the withdrawals from Gabapentin are worse than opiates... I've only experienced opiate withdrawl once or twice and within a day or so I can move on and not feel quite as bad...but without my Gabapentin/Neurontin I have no desire to do anything. It truly acts as an antidepressant for me almost.

I am sorry you too are having to deal with this, I wish I could go back and never ever touch this medication!!! It's good to know at least we aren't alone huh? No one has ever actually replied much to me on these forums, not that I post often, so I am grateful to have someone to talk to about it!!!!!
Hi skiths87, reaching out to the forums is great this is your best tool, I have been to 6 or 7 other forums seeking help for my withdrawal from gabapentin I encourage you to do the same , at least it will keep you busy. Work with your doctor on this it's not their fault there was nothing in the literature the doctors or the consumers received regarding gabapentin withdrawal except the standard caution about stoping this drug abruptly.

I likewise have been weaning myself off of gabapentin/neurontin with my Doctors concent. I was on gabapentin for 10 years with a dose of 2400 to3000 miligrams a day at bedtime, I've been at this weaning process for 11 months and made it down to 1200 miligrams at bedtime. I then could go no lower.

Recently I've been searching the internet for answers as I like you was experiencing the worst withdrawal of my life. I think I finally found something to help lessen the withdrawal to a tolerable level. I read on the internet that magnesium supplements would help lesson the withdrawal symptoms of the gabapentin withdrawal.

I am not a doctor I am a consumer who was baffled by this drug and like you I was seeking answers as best as I could.

I wish you the best of luck.