Notices

20 Things you notice when your not drinking

Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 Things you notice when your not drinking

I found this surfing the net today and thought I would share it with you all, it's pretty funny and so true. I hope you enjoy! (from Glamour Mag - Health Edition)

1. People aren’t attractive when they drink a lot. This is particularly bittersweet, of course, since most of us drink to feel prettier. The smeared eyeliner, the teeth stained red-wine purple, the staggering to the bathroom: Even the most devastating woman at the party looks bad falling off a bar stool.

2. Not drinking is the best diet in the world. And when you stop drinking, people will not shut up about how good your skin looks.

3. It’s very easy to tuck your skirt into your underpants accidentally when you are drunk, and I notice that I never, ever do this sober.

4. The peer pressure you think will exist if you stop drinking? It really doesn’t. What you realize is that most people don’t care. They can’t tell whether that glass of sparkling water with lime is actually a vodka tonic or whether your Diet Coke has rum in it.

5. People who do pay attention to what’s in your glass are generally people with alcohol issues.

6. I don’t think I’ll ever find a faster, better way to relax than having a glass of red wine. Then again, I don’t think I’ll ever again have the effortless blond curls I did as a toddler. Oh, well. Being a grown-up is hard.

7. It’s surprisingly easy to talk to people when not drinking. I used to fret that without liquid courage, I wouldn’t be clever and charming at holiday parties. What would I say? How would I make people laugh? Sober, I managed well, actually. What you notice is that most people at the holiday party are also trying to be charming and clever, and they enjoy it when you laugh at their jokes and ask about their lives.

8. Conversations without alcohol can be astonishing. Without the distraction and numbness of two cocktails, I found that when friends told me their secrets, I remembered them.

9. Yet after about three drinks, people don’t listen so well. I used to imagine myself to be an empathetic listener—the party’s own Oprah. But when I talk to someone who’s a quarter dozen in, I usually find that he’s interruptible, combative, brash—the party’s own Geraldo Rivera.

10. Related: Drunk people talk much louder than they need to, and their jokes are not nearly as funny as they think.

11. I’ve noticed how easy it is to leave. I have no guilt about driving home or unattaching myself if I’m bored or tired or have to work the next day, instead of staying until the bottles have all been drained and suggesting we make a beer run for more.

12. The infamous stress of the holidays—the presents you have to buy, the people you must see—becomes far more manageable when you are not nursing a hangover.

13. Not drinking is also an amazing way to wake up not broke. A nice dinner without alcohol is like having an invisible half-off coupon to the world’s greatest restaurants. You will be shocked and delighted when the bill arrives, like every meal was secretly sponsored by Groupon.

14. When you’re sober, you see with utter clarity which friends you feel comfortable around and which make you itch for an open bar. It’s a fascinating litmus test, really.

15. Dating without alcohol is tricky, because it basically eliminates the easiest default activity in the entire dating manual: “Let’s get a drink.” But when you’re sober, you notice that bars are often quite boring. Everyone’s just sitting in one place, drinking.

16. When you’re not drinking, it becomes obvious pretty quickly whether or not you have chemistry with someone. This was not true when I was drinking, because after two glasses of wine, I had chemistry with most men. And after a bottle, I had chemistry with the ceiling fan.

17. If your date drinks too much, it’s almost impossible to find him hot. A guy slurring his words is like the universe waving a red flag: Do not go home with this man.

18. Back when I drank, it was the loud, extroverted men who drew all my attention. I was too blitzed to see the quiet guys in the corner who are comfortable in their own skin. They’re worth trying to get to know. Alpha guys are exciting, but their egos can take up too much space in the room.

19. Dating sans alcohol forces you to answer the central question of romance: not, Does he like me? but, Do I like him? I see how rare it is to have a true connection with a guy who likes you and whom you like back, and I realize how important it is not to sabotage those connections.

20. Getting through the holidays sober can be a challenge. But you know what? On January 1, “quit drinking” no longer tops my resolutions list. And that’s intoxicating.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great list. Thanks for sharing. These always make me smile and feel good about being sober.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome list, thank you

lol'd out loud at "And after a bottle, I had chemistry with the ceiling fan"
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. need to remember 1, 5 and 7
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that. A very true and wonderful list (along with some chuckles)...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome list, but definitely written by a female. I'd like to see a male version. I'll bet it wouldn't be too different.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this, thanks for posting!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
So it goes

Absolutely top hole and spiffing, had a big smile after reading
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Goood stuff! Let's make the male version!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great list. Thx for sharing.