Notices

42 Days Without A Drink

Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

42 Days Without A Drink

Hi, new on here, thought i'd do something constructive on my day off from work as feeling at a loose end and needed to keep busy. I'm sure others on here recognise that feeling.

42 days without a drink today after almost 20 years of drinking daily.
I was always a beer man and the daily drink became a daily drunk.
Never at work but always the minute I walked in the door, got to a stage that I could always justify getting drunk - Bad day-Cheer me up, Good day - Celebration, average day - something to do.

Anyway, as I said, 42 days off today (the longest I have ever gone) and I have lost 5kg in weight without doing anything different and feel really positive about the future.

However,

I am worried that I will relapse and I am absolutly desperate to avoid that.

I suppose that is where this board will come in handy.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days. I'm a couple of days behind you. I just keep remembering the futility of it all and how bad it made me feel after the initial few drinks.

The hangovers, the sickness, the tiredness, insomnia, headaches, depression, tearfulness, lethargy, fear, anxiety, anger, hate, nastiness, bloatedness, fear of driving, fear of getting stopped, fear of people smelling it on me, fear of getting up in the morning, fear of everything really. Then the horrendous withdrawals

And now, life is still life but much better than it was. The clear headedness I have is such a new feeling. I never ever want to go back to what I was like-so that is what I think of if I ever get a craving.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cheers and nice to meet you. All of those things you mention have been buzzing around my head for the last 6 weeks and also in my mind I keep on saying to myself 'Take responsibility'.

I have got through a sober new years eve and my birthday, I have no reason to go back - I hope I don't screw it up.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days!

Just wanted to say hello and congratulations on 42 days. I hope to see you posting a 60 day sober note soon!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is awesome! 42 days is huge! Welcome to SR!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have A.A. in Bedford ??
I could always quit on self-will alone in the past... but i couldn't stay quit without help.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Bob R.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, strange how words on a computer screen can both put a smile on your face and fill you with possitivity.

There are AA meetings in the town, I have looked them up on the net during the last 6 weeks but I'm going to be totally honest here - I'm embarressed and ashamed of myself for getting in this mess and really don't know if i'd be able to walk through the door.

I hope i'm not offending anyone by saying that, I am a proud man who acknowledges that I should never have done this to myself.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

42 days is awesome, keep up the good work. Sober Recovery can be a great life line in that moment you need a little help to get through a tough situation. It's open 24/7 keep coming back, reading and posting.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

congrats! I just hit 40 days myself.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've learned w/ alcoholism, you've got to leave your Ego at the door or on the floor. It takes humility & being humble to know the enormity of the problem you're up against.
Just my own personal opinion. Yeah, you got yourself into the mess but sometimes it takes more than yourself to get you out.
Congrats, keep it up. Keep coming back! SR has saved me
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by TheRealEagle View Post
...I'm embarressed and ashamed of myself for getting in this mess and really don't know if i'd be able to walk through the door.
I felt/feel like you! I've spoke out at 2 mtgs now. But...the first several, I slunk in, sat in the back and ran out before it ended! I think that helped me though, helped a lot.

Trick yourself, tell yourself you'll do like me. And then do it. It's anonymous, and you don't have to do or say anything. It really helped me. Now that I've taken the first few shaky steps, I'm looking for more mtgs, women only too as I think that will be even more comfortable. As I'm a woman. LOL.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 42 days, and the weight loss!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SnowEagle

Congratulations on your 42 days
You'll find lot of support here.

I really don't think you have to worry about relapse - if you work hard enough on your recovery

Welcome
D
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TheRealEagle

Congratulations on 42 days!