Notices

Whomever said cravings last for 12 minutes

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Whomever said cravings last for 12 minutes

Musta been drunk... I had one for 3 hours. Good news is that on day 3 I am still clean. Feeling anxious. Ate some pasta and now I have an anxious brick in tummy.

Had a dream last night that my boss fired me and highered a friend's MS student to take over my job.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I never heard that before. I do know that they tend to pass quickly, especially as time goes by. I think drinking was on the mind constantly for those first few weeks though.

Well done on maintaining your sobriety.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I never heard that before. I do know that they tend to pass quickly, especially as time goes by. I think drinking was on the mind constantly for those first few weeks though.

Well done on maintaining your sobriety.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Haha I read it on some random post on the forum
Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I believe urges are only a few minutes in length...the bad part is how quickly one can follow on the heels of another. Like you are finding out, it's like one long crave. The good news is, if you don't drink they eventually lose their strength.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, in my experience cravings only last for minutes - but the obsessing about drinking they can kick off can last for hours.

I found this technique useful in cutting off the craving at the craving level

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Dee thanks for posting. I skimmed those... On iPhone now. I was trying to be mindful and surf earlier I think. I knew when the urge hit I was HUNGRY and it was around the time I might have a glass of wine. I often have a glass when I cook. Hubby offered to go to store to pick up something. That was a slippery slope bc I was afraid I'd ask him to get some Chardonnay. Ended up cooking pasta...crave disappated after I ate. I'm quite anxious now. Not sure if it's a craving or nerves or both. I took my bra off so there's no going out for me!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a neat little acronym for common trigger points too - HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired)

Often we're so used to interpreting things alcoholically we can interpret other stuff as a craving for a drink - so often times a meal, or a nap, or a good movie can help too

D
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee, THANKS!! That is bookmarked for sure.

Also Orbea, thanks for posting this...I know the feeling. I think it's half the whole, if I (in the past--but it's only day 4 today so...)even got the well...you could just get a drink out, you don't have to get a bottle, you just will have one bottle, oh eff it. Yeah, it's this overwhelming kind of brain itch?! Ha, I don't know how to explain, it but I struggle a LOT with it. I have to seemingly be so super stern with myself, and literally yell at myself in my own head (sounding so sane right now, lol) to end it immediately.