Notices

new here

Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading for a while. I have known for years that I'm an alcoholic - I'm an almost-daily binge drinker and have been for years. I'm in my 20s, and I have always been highly functioning, until lately. I feel like my life has slowly started falling apart in the last 2 years or so. Alcohol is also starting to have an impact on my health. I decided to quit drinking, because what I've been doing isn't working. I have tried to quit in the past but haven't made it more than 5 days. Today is my Day 1.

I have been really depressed lately - the three biggest problems in my life are alcohol, my relationship, and my job. All are interconnected - my relationship is extremely unstable and a big stressor in my life. I really hate my job and am miserable there, but can't leave for financial reasons. I might be laid off in the near future. The relationship is a long story - very unstable, yet I work with my boyfriend so that makes it more complicated.

I have been so depressed lately, and I know if I continue drinking the way I do I won't be alive much longer. It's not uncommon for me to get home from work and just down a dozen or so shots. I am hoping that by quitting drinking, I can find the happiness and peace that have been missing for so long.

Sorry for the scattered intro but I'm not quite sure what to say. It has now been almost 30 hours since my last drink and I'm feeling scatter-brained. I look forward to continuing this journey with you all.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SnowDaisy

You'll find a ton of support here - theres a lot of people who understand and who know exactly how you feel

D
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome
Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

You sound a lot like me when I first came here. There is hope in sobriety and it does get easier. Stick around!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey SnowDaisy

You are descibing my life exactly.
But one thing i can promise is that when the booze has left your system all those "problems" dont seem that bad after all.

alcohol makes everything much worse including depression.
I could figure out why i hated myself when i had the world.
why was i so depressed, i should be happy.

funny, the booze left my system and all the things i thought were problems were really small.

keep going in sobriety, i promise itll get better
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was where you are now about 7 months ago. I tried to find another job but didn't find one before getting fired for showing up late, taking 2 hour lunches and leaving early because I just couldn't take it anymore. I was drinking heavily in the evenings and rolling in hungover which only made matters worse. This is where the neglect for my GF started. When I lost the job I just drank more and more, neglected her more and more and she left.

That was my wake up call to stop drinking and sign up here.

The clarity you'll find by quitting drinking will make the situation far more easy to deal with and you'll handle it better. I came very close to getting new jobs back then but if I didnt lose it all I'd still be drinking, I am certain of it. I'd be here on beer #4 already thinking everything was A-OK..and it wouldn't be, I'd just be delaying the inevitable.

Sorry for babbling, I guess the addendum would be that a clear mind will help you weather this storm and move you forward, with the booze you are just spinning your wheels and going nowhere fast. Stop now and you'll see improvements almost immediately, I did
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Not scattered at all, SnowDaisy. We get you. You're a wise woman to acknowledge what alcohol is doing to you - wish I had in my 20's. I didn't know back then that alcoholism is a progressive disease. It takes more & more to achieve the same numb feeling - and that comes with a terrible price.

You have some decisions to make about your relationship and your job. You can't make them while you're in a fog so much of the time. Nothing gets accomplished when we're numb. I'm glad you've discovered that fact - and that you're reaching out for a better way of life. You can do this.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

almost daily drinking is not binge drinking. it's almost daily drinking. stop while you're ahead! and then stay stopped!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope you are here to stay SD. You made it more than half your life without alcohol, so you can live the rest of your life in the same fashion.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm on day 3 myself. Keep coming back and posting.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm in my late twenties, and went through on/off periods of being high functioning. The last 3 years (well 2 years ago ish hit the fan) were bad, but going back to school--while awesome, and just working PT (i went through periods of being pathetically supported by the men in my life, um...yeah not proud of that) led to a lot of backslide and health issues reared up a bit ago. I tried to keep on going the ostrich route of ignoring, but that doesn't led anywhere but down.
We're all in this together!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Snowdaisy. I know exactly how you feel. Depression is not a fun thing to go thru. Drinking made it much worse for me. Stick around, keep reading and posting. We are here to help you.

God bless.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome SnowDaisy!

Glad you reached out for support today.... it's not easy to do, but it can be the start of a better life. I found that most of my depression and anxiety went away after I got rid of the alcohol.

Be patient with yourself and hang out here to keep you motivated and inspired.....
Old 02-07-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Welcome to the community. I hope you will stay.