Notices

What my last relapse almost cost me

Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What my last relapse almost cost me

among other things: freedom.

I will have 90 days later on this week, but I had a very unwelcome possible consequence come up from my last drink which was 11/13/11.

I am on probation for multiple DUIs and attend an outpatient treatment program that does random screenings. Well I failed one on 11/14/11 and for some reason my probation officer just got around to confronting me about it last week. The past two months I had seen a different PO.

I left her office Thursday knowing that I needed to call her this morning to find out what the judge had to say about my violation. She said I could face 1 year in jail for violating.

Well I called this morning (after praying all weekend) and I do not have to go to court Thursday to see the judge. In 90 days I will go before him so he can evaluate my progress and hopefully let me off of reporting probation. ( I got 2 years probation for the charge)

I pondered the prospect of jail all weekend and tried not to freak out. I am going to AA every day, working the steps with my sponsor, on Step 6 and in school making all As and my marriage is in the process of mending. All of that would be blown to shreads if I drink.

Most alcoholics probably don't get into trouble as I did, or maybe they do. I just wanted to put this out there for people thinking about drinking today. Drinking may not cost your freedom, but it is likely to cost you something you don't have to spare or want to lose.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

To ninety days and many, many more.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MINEr

Thanks for the message. If we want to find out what drinking cost us, just look around to all the things we truly value in life.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days...Just keep doing the next right thing...Sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for relating your story on the dangers of drinking and wishing you the best for staying off the booze. We all have to struggle in various degrees, but if we make it a lot of good will result. I will have 7 months off booze at the end of this week after drinking a lot every day for many years. I do one day at a time.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Elisabeth - As I embark on the life's journey of parenthood, I often find myself teaching my children that when you truly understand something you learn at school or on the weekend, then studying for it sort of becomes irrelevant - because you know it and you get it. Just reading your post, i think you would be a great example for my kids (albeit I'd thank us both not to include the alcohol part) - it is clear you get it. I bet that at this point you really aren't worried about anybody assessing your sobriety, desire to stand clear from alcohol or your remorse. Amazing how the "you have to recover for you" manifests itself. I bet you stand before the judge and think - "frankly, I have to cope with whatever punishment / leniency the court shows me, but my Sobriety - that's for me!"

Great Job!

Respectfully -> Mental
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate. I won't know my fate until later this month for multiple charges that just kept coming last year. I am trying not to freak out. Congrats on the 90 days!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck with the legal stuff Elisabeth - and congratulations on 90 days

D
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats on your 90 days

I also I am still on 2 years of probation. I got convicted of my 2 nd dui in 6 years and 3 with in 20. I was sentenced in Nov. 10. And in Dec I failed my first test. The judge gave me an extra 200 in fines and added only 3 extra days to my sentence. Which was a blessing cause like you said I could of got much more for the PV.

Taking anything to alter your mind definatly is not worth jail time . I am on non reporting now. So 9 more months and everything is all behind me. But all this finally helped toward getting me to this point and finally trying to save my life .

Keep doing what your doing.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My legal stuff is all done, I just messed up and drank and got caught.

This time though, I actually want the sobriety for ME. Not the police or the legal system.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Elisabeth, Today is my first day sober. Been at this for over 40 years. I look forward to 90 days. Just reading what you and the other writers in this string have to say has already encouraged me.
P.S. My first time on this or any other site. Got to figure it all out.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Six! Welcome! Would love to hear more about you.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Elisabeth. Since I am new I will keep this short. My problem is Alcohol. I have attempted several times over the years to stop drinking. I made it a year one time through a combination of counseling and AA. Then I went back. I am a high functioning alcoholic in that I do not miss work and I have been extremely lucky to have never gotten a dui. But I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. It greatly affects me both physically and spiritually. I was really determined yesterday morning not to drink but as Sunday wore on the urge overtook me in spite of the mental battle. So I am going to stop fighting this alone and seek some help which is part of the reason I have joined this site.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I am glad to hear you want it for yourself same here.

I never quite before except when locked up for dui's. Until this time at 39 and doing my 30 days I went into such bad dt's. That I was hallucinating so badly that I thought there was a bay window in my cell and some where along the line decided to kill myself by running head first into the wall. And the CO's pulled me out. That is all dream like and fuzzy , but then woke in the ICU two days later being told they thought I had "wet brain" or Korsakoff syndrom. I was blessed to come back to reality and be here.

I wouldnt wish this disease on anyone but it made me who I am, and what I can do to help the fellow alcoholic is just priceless.

Now 40 and loving a way of life I had never had.

Stay on the Beam

Good love , Inda
Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Inda. Your words are encouragement to me. I am very glad that you came through what was obviously a terrible time in your life. It is so good to hear that you are now loving your new way of living. I am looking forward to that. I wish you well.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for these tough messages, they are very helpful to me. If I got a DUI I would probably get fired from my job of 18 years which would be devastating to me.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks E8.
I too was on my way in or out of trouble most of my life with DUI's. My biggest challenge was always how to not get caught and fool the authorities.

I never did get caught but life was torturous.

I'm back at it again since being arrested last 15 years ago. Deferred prosecution which is a tough program and not one you skate through if you're still drinking.

Other than the financial side of it (costs me about $500 a month for everything) it's been a breeze. A lot of work, but no fear. I only have to see my PO 8 times in two years.

Congrats on you.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I had to spend some time in jail sober because of the crap I pulled at the end of my using. there's no escape from the consequences of our actions. I hope you don't have to go, and suspect you wont, but know this; you can go to jail sober and stay sober inside and when you get out.