Notices

Need advice badly!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice badly!

I just started dating a totally awesome guy, but he confided some information in me that startled me... and I don't really know what to make of it.

He told me was a meth user for 4 years, but then he went to jail for a year and now he doesn't use. He tells me he will never use again.

After looking up signs of a meth user online, I'm terrified to find that he meets some of the criteria: meth mouth, cat urine odor, paranoia, anxiety, depression, talk of suicide, abnormal sleeping patterns and huge cuts up and down his arms (some new wounds).

He is such a sweet guy and I want to believe that he's clean. He holds a steady job and whatnot. Are these warning signs just an after-effect or should I be worried that he's using?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Run, don't walk.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So....does he actually show these signs? Or are you just afraid you will notice them (but they arent there)? I think if there is any sign he still uses, RUN 100%. On the other hand, I do feel for him that if he truly sobered up, truyl is trying to get his life together or has put his life back together, and is just being honest with you in effort to be fair, then perhaps you should try and look past the past.....but I say that with extreme caution. My advice should be taken with limitation as I do not have much background in drug rehab, ect. Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Freudi. Welcome to Sober Recovery. Glad you found the forum.

He certainly doesn't sound clean, but either way, I'm having trouble seeing the awesomeness in the description you provided. None of those things sound like someone that would make a good match for anyone. Are you sure you are being realistic about who he is instead of who you think he's capable of being?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

New wounds, that's not good. He doesn't play with knifes when he's around you does he?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate to admit this, but in my first 45 days I went to the liquor store for my wife since her license was expired.

I never drank - nor considered it -but it calmed her down and that made it easier for me.

I don't think she's had a drink in 4 or 5 months now but she was drinking daily with me for a while.

I wouldn't recommend this approach, but it's just something I did.