Notices

Superbowl - the last hurrah of a sober year.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Superbowl - the last hurrah of a sober year.

I see that today is a challenging day for may of the newcomers.

Superbowl is much like New Year's, 4th of July, and labor day since it is an occasion to get together with friends and socialize in a way that often involves alcohol (or was about alcohol in my social circles).

Early on I had to remind myself that I don't "owe" it to anyone to be at a gathering that would threaten my goal of sobriety. For my non-alcoholic friends, that day is just another day in their life and will be mixed in with so many others. For me, that day could mean stepping back on to the path of death by alcohol.

357 days and every holiday have passed since my last drink and I can say without qualification it has been an incredible year and at no time do I regret doing what I needed to do to ensure my recovery through each 24 hours.

My plans this Superbowl Sunday don't involve drinking or being in situations that will overtly challenge my sobriety -there are plenty of opportunities for that the other 364 days

I hope everyone has a great day and remembers to take care of themselves.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wise words, StPete
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Thank you, StPete. I for one am relieved to know that I can spend this day at home with my kids, without alcohol, and not wake up feeling like death tomorrow (or in jail) like so many out there will. Very, very grateful for that. )
Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

True words, Pete, and wise ones too. Thanks, and enjoy the game and family! I'm doing the same.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

It is times such as this that belonging to a recovery support group can really help out. Many of them have sober get togethers, all the fun with none of the trouble!