SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/248022-help.html)

Eliasson 02-05-2012 11:34 AM

Help!

My brain is once again telling me I can handle a drink or two on social occasions or one nice glass of wine when I'm out to dinner. I am making bargains with myself and feel dangerously close to drinking :(.

MycoolFitz 02-05-2012 11:38 AM

The brain can be a danger zone, listen to your heart. Be well and take care

Ahab 02-05-2012 11:40 AM

Oh I know those internal conversations too well. In fact that's why I'm suffering heinous withdrawal symptoms right now. My brain told me a nice glass of merlot every now and then couldn't do any harm. Clearly you are doing the right thing and posting here first.

Ahab 02-05-2012 11:47 AM

Robin Williams had this great comedy bit on his alcoholism, and said, "That voice in the head of an alcoholic that says you can handle that one drink, is the same voice you hear when you look over the edge of a tall building that says, 'Jump. You can fly.'"

So Eliasson..... don't jump.

OCDDan 02-05-2012 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eliasson (Post 3269992)
My brain is once again telling me I can handle a drink or two on social occasions or one nice glass of wine when I'm out to dinner. I am making bargains with myself and feel dangerously close to drinking :(.

I know that feeling all too well, hang in there, it should pass once you return to your senses.

neferkamichael 02-05-2012 11:49 AM

Robert Downey Jr, "I'd like to have a glass of wine with dinner, but, I remember I have plans for Christmas."

MustStop 02-05-2012 11:49 AM

Heard a long time ago that cravings only last 15 minutes.

Ahab 02-05-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by neferkamichael (Post 3270012)
Robert Downey Jr, "I'd like to have a glass of wine with dinner, but, I remember I have plans for Christmas."

Oh I like that one a lot.

Dee74 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

go back and read your earliest posts again Eliasson - thats what one glass of wine really means.

Hows your life in general going?

D

GirlFromCO 02-05-2012 12:51 PM

Hi Eliasson. Don't listen to that voice! You know where things go if you do because you've been there, done that all before. The results will always be the same.

Healthyfood 02-05-2012 01:03 PM

Eliasson

The urge is trying to sneak in through the back door. Just stop thinking like that and refocus. There is no need to have that glass or two.
Its just an urge, your soul and heart do not want that drink. Urge wants it, so give it some water. :herewego

LindseyMarie 02-05-2012 01:43 PM

Good for you for coming here first! I have had that same feeling more than once, and it has never worked out for me. Good luck and keep strong!

dorito281211 02-05-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ahab (Post 3270008)
Robin Williams had this great comedy bit on his alcoholism, and said, "That voice in the head of an alcoholic that says you can handle that one drink, is the same voice you hear when you look over the edge of a tall building that says, 'Jump. You can fly'

I Lol'd at this!!!!! Oh so true as well :)
I also identified with Robert D Js line too :)
You guys are awesome!
One thing I have learned about alcoholism is its progressive (duh I know) but it is, so waiting a month, year or whatever to not drink doesn't cure you of anything! So, I don't want to drink, now or ever, cause I know what it will lead to...nothing good.
So as much as I want that drunk feeling, or taste of beer/whiskey/rum... I will not, and nor should any of us :)

CaiHong 02-05-2012 02:10 PM

Hi Eliasson,

by talking about your craving indicates to me that you don't want to give into it, which proves that you have the upper hand .

It will pass as Dee suggested read back over your old posts if you needed to be reminded how awful alcohol can be for you.

Stay strong
CaiHong

accept 02-05-2012 02:18 PM

Eliasson. Face it; You cannot handle one or two drinks. If you could, you would not be a member here. It is not the liquid in the glass that is the problem, it is us holding in that glass. The people in this forum are simply not meant to drink alcohol, our addictive personalities cant handle it.
Think of all the ppl around you that you will hurt if you allow your self those drinks (from one or two drinks it can easily escalate into something much worse as we all know)... Think of how you let yourself down.

We are better than letting that stupid little voice in our head win over us again, that voice has won enough battles already.

Good luck Eliasson
(Btw, weird question, but is your last name Swedish?)

Eliasson 02-05-2012 02:36 PM

Accept -yes, my first and last names are Swedish! Dee-things are still hard in my life. I appreciate everyone here so much. I'm at a Super Bowl party around lots of drinking and I want a drink so badly I could cry.

accept 02-05-2012 02:38 PM

I am Swedish as well .. Must be our old viking genes making us so thirsty :(

Ahab 02-05-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by accept (Post 3270186)
I am Swedish as well .. Must be our old viking genes making us so thirsty :(

I'm half Swedish, and half Scottish so I'm seriously screwed.

accept 02-05-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ahab (Post 3270190)
I'm half Swedish, and half Scottish so I'm seriously screwed.

Hahaha lol! Indeed. Our poor livers.

Ahab 02-05-2012 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by accept (Post 3270201)
Hahaha lol! Indeed. Our poor livers.

On top of that I'm Canadian. I was doomed at birth I tell ya.