Notices

Help!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you go home Eliasson? or take a walk, go outside?

D
Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Hang in there E; don't give in. Just think of how proud you will be of yourself if you stay strong and sober! You can this. I battle these voices every minute! We can beat them. We own them!! Tell them to SHHHUUUTTTTTTTTTTT UPPPPPPPPPPPPP like I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

New to this forum and totally can relate to the original post and RDJs post. My head's has been itchy these past few months. And it is never just one drink. Or just one more time. Or in my case it isn't. I found that I just have to walk away or find something else to do. Everyday is still a struggle. Just stay strong. It's good to have this place to come to when in doubt or tempted.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me after a period of 2 or 3 months of sobriety I will have those inevitable cravings for a drink. I tell myself that I can control it. And maybe I just have that one drink the first time, and put the bottle down, but I start to obsess every day about another drink right after. When is it time for another, how much can I allow myself this evening, and not return to heavy drinking. The continuous obsessing involved around attempting moderation is no joy in itself. Then the next thing I know, after maybe a week or two I'm drinking heavily again. It always happens.

The reality is I've never been interested in just that one drink. I want to get flat out drunk whether I lie to myself or not. I'm an alcoholic. That's what I do. And Eliasson, I don't believe that drink is going to lead you anywhere different then it does for me. If you could handle it, you wouldn't desperately want it so bad. You would be indifferent to whether you had that drink or not. This is our cross to bear, and we might as well accept it.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know that voice well. That voice does not have our best interests in mind. I am currently suffering the results of listening to that voice. I can have one or two but the next day I have a whole bottle. my skin is red and blotchy, i look kind of bloated, I've put on weight, and I feel generally rotten. That's the result of listening to that voice.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Westery

D
Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah, I could handle one or two drinks. It's the 7th and8th that gave me trouble, and the first one always leads to the rest one for me.

Peace
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Eliasson - I get this sense that you're not really moving on. That you're stuck and trapped and that's why these cravings still grab at you.

An alcoholic can stay sober on a barstool but he's not going to be happy there. I'd like to see you get off the figurative bar stool.

Did you give any more thought to therapy? I feel like these cravings have little to do with your alcoholism, tbh.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I could have written your post. It's that first drink that seems like a good idea. The others that end up following it...not so much.