Notices

Possible Pothole in road to recovery...

Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Possible Pothole in road to recovery...

I just wanted to share a red flag I experienced last evening that tested my resolve.
I seem to have contracted a virus. Nothing devastating, but I was feeling out of alignment. You know, a bit sluggish, not a lot of energy. But I had to muster the strength to go to my daughter's homecoming (her last one, being a senior) As the sunlight began to wane, so did my physical condition. I would have much preferred to have been enjoying the comfort of my bed, but I did as any father would have done: took a couple of aspirins, drank a big glass of water, and drove 20 miles to see the outcome of my little girl's Homecoming Queen candidacy.

When the game was over, I was invited to some friends' house. I was asked to pick up some snacks at the store and bring with me. At this point, I was feeling rather punkish, but I had time to kill before I could pick up my daughter after the dance. I stopped by the store and was suckerpunched by a very strong urge to buy alcohol. There was that old voice again, one I have not heard in over a month. It was forceful and convincing. "Get you some brandy or schnapps, it will help you feel better and make the rest of the evening enjoyable. You are feeling bad, you deserve to drink to feel better." I have to admit, I entertained the thought as I passed through the double doors into the store. And there, at the far right of the store, loomed the liquor department. All those bottles on the shelves glowed with a brilliance and the promise of relieving my symptoms of the virus reverberated in my mind.

But another voice emerged and countered the first. I remembered how I felt New Years Day. I recalled the commitment I made myself on that day. But the urge was strong. Then my rational self made a bargain with the addictive voice. "You can have anything in the store— except alcohol. And you know what? It went for it, hook, line, and sinker. It saw candy, ice cream, potato chips, and a plethora of other junk. That stupid voice was so overwhelmed that it didn't even realize the sober part of me had already chosen a tub of yogurt, blueberries, and a bottle of low sugar cranberry blueberry juice. The beast had it's childish satisfaction of getting "anything" it wanted and sank back into its crevice.

This is a clear case of having my defenses compromised by feeling poorly, which left the door open for the addictive voice to spring into action. Up to this point, I have had no cravings to speak of. But this situation burst onto the scene with uncanny speed and strength, a reminder that I am still in the line of fire. Its an example of how we must always be alert to the nature of alcohol addiction.

(BTW, my daughter was selected as Homecoming Queen. It was worth the effort to be there.)
Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to here it....And congrats to you and your daughter!...Well done.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a fantastic post Creekryder, happy ending and all~~~~~ :-)
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Creekryder))) - I hope you are feeling better, physically, now, but what an awesome post and congrats to your daughter!!

I'm a wuss when I'm sick...I just want SOMETHING to make me feel better and right now!! I think that our addict voice sees that as "ooh, NOW I have their attention"!

You did awesome, shut that voice down and you will always have the memories of the joy of your daughter being Homecoming Queen because you chose to stay sober.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I stopped by the store and was suckerpunched by a very strong urge to buy alcohol. There was that old voice again, one I have not heard in over a month.
Creekryder,

Glad you are still doing well. I know from your previous posts that you are using AVRT. One of the most vexing forms of the Addictive Voice is the idea that it is somehow good if we do not have the desire to drink, or if the AV is silent. This is a classic Beast set-up. I went into this in the AVRT thread, and there are a couple posts on this subject. You may want to read those over. I believe they start here:

"I have no desire to drink" —
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Beautiful post

Thank you and enjoy all those goodies
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you for not drinking.

You can now enjoy your daughter's special moment without being hungover and feeling guilty.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for that wonderful post, Creekryder.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, creekryder. I'm also using AVRT, have just finished going through the book the first time, and am looking forward with anticipation to the first big battle with my beast. It's been laying low, taking pot shots, but nothing I can't handle.

Well done in your first battle!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great post, I'm so glad you got to enjoy your daughter's big moment sober, now it's a moment you'll never forget!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You were proud of your daughter and I bet your daughter was proud of you!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey that is awesome, good job and thanks for sharing. Our minds are so wacked sometimes, but you got control of yours!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go! Congrats to your daughter, too!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing and congratultions to your daughter!! You have two things to be very proud of!! Lind
Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so proud of you! I've had similar temptations & do understand exactly how you felt. It's so difficult to put those times into words, but you did an amazing job of it.

Congratulations to your baby girl, Creek. I'm sure she's lovely inside and out.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

so glad you successfully negotiated that hazard P.
Congratulations to yr daughter too

D
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well done, and well put, CreekRyder! That's how we should all answer that AV! Thanks for showing us how to tame that beast.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. Had a similar situation last week. Nice to know Im not alone. Congrats on your sober time!