Notices

I really really wanted a drink earlier

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really really wanted a drink earlier

The title says it all I'm afraid. It just hit me tonight. I felt anxious and annoyed over something to the point I could have cried. Then I just wanted a drink. We have some in the house too. It's so hard isn't it sometimes. I had a large piece of cake instead. Now I've eaten a proper meal the craving has gone but I could so easily have had that drink. I knew it couldn't be that easy
Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy staying sober and battling cravings, especially in the early days - but it's entirely possible - good for you

SR got me through many many tight squeaks.

just wondering - can you remove the alcohol from your house?
D
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Anything worth while is never easy. But always well deserved.

Well done on just having cake and like Dee said I also use this place a ton. its a savior in the middle of the night.

Keep it up.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks Dee

My husband drinks red wine (not my favorite at all) so it hasn't bothered me having it in the house.

Tonight we had visitors early evening so there was a bottle of white wine in the fridge(my favorite). First time since I've been sober. Maybe its not a coincidence that the first time it is in the house I wanted a glass (or a bottle or 3)

tomorrow is a new day
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job, Justhadenough! You have the power to not drink, you've proved it. The cravings will never get worse, just better. You've earned your cake!
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Inda

Its day 34 for me so I was surprised that the cravings were worse than they have ever been. Well it has taught me not to be over confident-that's for sure
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's obsessing you, I'd dispose of the white wine

D
Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If it's obsessing you, I'd dispose of the white wine

D
oh its ok the visitors drunk it and the bottle is safely in the recycling
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff.
For the record I had many moments like that, way beyond 30 days.

I'm not trying to put anyone off - I figure I drank for 20 years or so...it was going to take a while for my first impulse, when anxious or annoyed or whatever, not to be to drink.

Having the thought is one thing, but it's what we do with the thought that counts - and you did the right thing - you didn't go with it

D
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

justhadenough - When you said, "I wanted a glass (or a bottle or 3)" - I was nodding my head. See, that's just it - one drink and we could be off & running. A drink almost always led to a binge for me. Picking up became unpredictable - that's why I had to stop taking chances & not touch the stuff.

I felt very resentful & lost when I first quit - but that only lasted for a short time. Once you realize you can get over those hurdles, you begin to feel less anxious. Very glad you posted about your feelings - you're doing great.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good stuff.
For the record I had many moments like that, way beyond 30 days.

I'm not trying to put anyone off - I figure I drank for 20 years or so...it was going to take a while for my first impulse, when anxious or annoyed or whatever, not to be to drink.

Having the thought is one thing, but it's what we do with the thought that counts - and you did the right thing - you didn't go with it

D
thanks Dee
Old 02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
justhadenough - When you said, "I wanted a glass (or a bottle or 3)" - I was nodding my head. See, that's just it - one drink and we could be off & running. A drink almost always led to a binge for me. Picking up became unpredictable - that's why I had to stop taking chances & not touch the stuff.

I felt very resentful & lost when I first quit - but that only lasted for a short time. Once you realize you can get over those hurdles, you begin to feel less anxious. Very glad you posted about your feelings - you're doing great.
Hi Hevyn, that's exactly what its like. I'd love to drink moderately but it aint ever gonna happen!

It has helped even posting on here. This site is fantastic-thanks everyone
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

justhadenough

Good for you! Step by step you are moving forwards!

I did not want a drink earlier, but I found one in my kitchen. Well... I was making salad, mixing it with a dressing and I realized that for the first time in 6 days I did not think about a drink for the longest ever 5 minutes. Amazing.

After that I found the poison in my cupboard. So I was scared to smell it while pouring it down the sink. So if I could not even make attempt to smell it, drinking it would be impossible.

My house is 100% alco free now for sure!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Justhadenough,

My last really strong craving came when I was around 5 months sober,it was so strong and because my cravings had petered out, or so I thought, I was taken unawares and it was a real battle with my AV, it was anger and craving combined.
I overcame it and haven't had a craving since.
I thank my HP for taking away the obsession which is one of the promises of AA