Notices

painfully isolated

Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you Gal Friday!! Keep pushing through. Don't give up. Enjoy your son & all those little moments you will treasure forever. You're his mother & he looks up to you. He needs all your love & attention.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The ups & downs do suck. But as time goes by you'll learn to deal w/ them better. Hugs!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad your feeling better today Gal. Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks so much!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

GalFriday,

something you might look into is what's offered at your local library or book store. They have speakers from time to time that are interesting. Book discussions and such. check out the bulletin boards for book clubs. Some hospitals have lectures on nutrition, diet and exercise that could very good for you just now. And a way to meet healthy people.

You could also check out the happenings at your local community college. Or look into doing some volunteer work. Give Catholic Charities a call and see if you can lend a hand. I used to do some accounting work at a food bank in my early recovery period. I met some interesting folks and got some real insight into my city politics!

You might see if your library has reading circles for kids if you're good at reading aloud. I don't care for kids but one of my friends has a blast with it.

I'm so glad you're looking outside your door and will be able to see all the cool stuff happening. There's museums to be seen. maybe take a class in something that is of interest to you. check with Parks and Recreation to see about nature walks. Our Community College has a horticulture walk where they look at all the local gardens!

hope this is useful to you!

Love from Lenina
Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gal,

I can relate to how you feel. I've decided to address my depression separately from my alcoholism, although the two are related, each is it's own separate condition-people can have one without the other, and there are some things that help more with one than the other.

I am taking ant-depressants and go to counseling for my depression, and go to meetings and treatment to help me stay sober.

I wish you peace and love.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never felt so alone in my life, as when I stopped drinking. It was an awful time for me. I felt completely disconnected from everyone.

It was hard for me, but I pushed myself to get involved in something that helped me to reconnect with other people and to feel useful.

If you were depressed before you started drinking, it could be that you need to treat your depression. That is my situation. If your depression is the result of drinking, then hopefully it will clear up soon.

Try making a couple of goals each day that you must do. It will help you to feel like you are moving forward and help you to rebuild your life.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

yes- there was definitely an element of 'recovering' some of the life that i used to know. But mostly it seemed that i was embracing the Freedom that comes when i knew i never Had to use again.

did everything i thought i needed come to me? Nope. Never caught that SO relationship for instance.

Have i had tough times in recovery?- yes . dad died. Brother was murdered. Only child had a Traumatic Brain Injury 2 years ago . All tragic and tough. But I had been given so much via the program that these events have proven to be survivable and, in the end, I have seen the "flowing towards me" that the old poets spoke of.

Even before those things i had a depressive bout. Back then, with no health insurance and living in a very remote area, i did not seek medical help - but i did keep going to meetings. Embarrassed to share the same BS every time [they were small meetings- pretty much HAD to share] but one night a woman shared that her sponsor had said to her : "Honey, just go home and do the dishes" maybe i was finally ready to hear. I dunno. But i went home. did half the dishes. the next day i did the rest of them. and it got better...