Notices

Need some support

Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some support

Hi guys,

Just over two months sober, but have been panicking for weeks; seeing the Dr on Monday.

I have convined myself I have alcohol related dementia I get confused about things and I can't remember things like I used too.

I have only been drinking really for 8 months, but extremely heavily for 5/6 weeks mostly whisky (half to one bottle per day)

Surely this can't be true? Freaking out so much tonight and keep crying. I

Sorry guys....
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((211648))) - Alcohol wasn't my thing, but I've often read of other alcoholics who complain of "brain fog" for a while after quitting. I'm glad you're going to see your doctor, but I do think this is fairly normal and does get much better. I'm sure others will be along soon with their ES&H.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and relax 211648

A lot of us feared the worst when we saw our Dr - and a lot of us found the prognosis was way better than we thought it might be.

A certain amount of 'brain fog' is normal of most of us for a while, and I hope you'll find that's what it is

D
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am glad you are going to see the DR Monday as well. I have seen people come in that could hardly put a sentence together for a month because their brain was so wet so it may be normal. I have 1 week and I am not thinking clearly yet myself. I guess on could do permeant damage to their brain, I hope this is not the case. I am sure the DR will have a better understanding of what is going on with you.

WOW 2 months, thats great. Just remember it can only get better. congratulations.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi 211648,

I just looked at your other posts & it looks like this has been worrying you for a while, its great that you are seeing a doctor about it.

Most of us have had "Brain Fog" and other similar symptoms since quitting. try not to stress about it too much as this just makes it worse ;-)

My memory & brain function have improved since quitting... still not perfect though but I am trying.

Try to have a good weekend knowing you are going to get help & some answers on Monday.

Take Care ~ NB
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey numbers.

Try not to worry about the feeling you have. I'm confident your Dr will merely explain that in time your clarity will return.

I'm on day 17 after drinking very heavily for 20 years and am still experiencing some fogginess in the evening when my brain is used to be busy guzzling vodka. I will say that the feeling has improved over time.

Congrats on your 2 months. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

alcohol related dementia normally takes many, MANY years to manifest in a chronic alcoholic. Typically you will find your liver, pancreas, other organs and endocrine systems failing or causing you serious problems before you have anything to worry about with dementia.

This isn't my opinion either, I was told from an ER doc who, luckily enough, was very well versed in alcohol related illness when I showed up there during a relapse. And I was told because at that point I was worried about everything that may have been permanently done to my body via alcohol. While I'm sure in the history of time there are some who have drank heavily for 8 months and gone permanently soft in the head, I'd suggest you have a better chance of a piano falling on your head at this point. (You don't live beneath a music store I hope )

As everyone has mentioned, your brain is simply foggy right now. It happens to the best of us when we quit. My brain wasn't working in any reliable capacity for about 90-100 days to be honest. Things like forgetting where my sunglasses were - when they were on top of my head. Walking around the house livid cuz I can't find the keys ... and they're in my HAND. Showing up for a rehearsal a day late and forgetting songs I'd performed hundreds of times.

It is rough and it happens, and it's nothing at all to panic over.

See your doc, that's the best thing, but really, you can relax on this symptom. It's a normal part of withdrawal.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome on seeing the doctor.

I personally was in the ICU last Jan. and being told they thought I had "wet brain" and would not return. Lucky for me they were able to get enough thiamine back in me for that is what causes that demensia. And for days that I was in jail and the hospital I dont recall being there at all. But if I was to drink again even moderatly it will return and I would not be able to care for myself. It is no joke, its not fog like, when you get to that stage you dont remember or know what your doing.

Just to let you know I drank daily for over 20 years. And the last ten every day in amount of a bottle of vodka and 15-30 beers . Every day all day. Plus whatever I drank at work. So do yourself the favor and dont take my road , and be in the nursing home at 39 like I just barely missed.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, great support here
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi 211648 - glad you are seeing the doctor! I suspect you will be just fine, but I've suffered from hypochondria before and I know how your mind can fixate on the worst outcome. My friend's mom has alcohol dementia but it took her about 50 years of heavy drinking to get there. She doesn't know very basic things like what day it is and how old she is.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi 211648. I had similar problems, but as I got well they all went away & my brain function returned to normal. Great that you're seeing a doctor about this - as Dee said, it's probably nothing like what you're imagining. Let us know how you make out - we care about you!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same as others have posted 211, I have it too. It's getting better, bit by bit.
Good to talk to the doc though.

Hang in there.

God bless.