Blogs

Notices

Addiction to the non people

Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction to the non people

I know most of you who are on this forum have an addiction problem. Alcohol or drugs but addiction is addiction. It's a b!tch. It will control use until we want to stop. A lot of people out there who don't have this problem don't understand how it amkes us feel and act. Once we start, we shoot up in the sky like everything is great then we feel and hit are face in the rocks but once we hit the rocks, it feels like super glue that we can't get stuck from. The glue gets hard and hard and then we slip away from it. The trap will beat us and beat us. Until we can't take the beating anymore. It's weird how a lot of people out there just don't understand what we go threw. They think we try just trying to hurt them but in real life we are going threw problem that we found a quick way out. We USE because of the addiction but we also use because works really quick. 3 shots of whiskey in a few seconds or a hit of cocaine in a blink of an eye.

It's hard out there and we don't like hurting other people but they need to understand that addiction is addiction and there is a reason why it's hard to get other it. If we could stop then we would years ago. We count the days when sober and hoping those todays will go to weeks then to months then years. Well thats all I wanted to say for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACT10Npack For This Useful Post:
heathersweeds (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think you are right that a lot of people don't understand. Thank goodness! I wouldn't wish this on anyone. There are a bazillion conditions in life I don't understand either, what it's like to live in other countries, with particular health conditions, as the other gender or sexual orientation etc. I just can't know. And those situations and experiences are part of a person's perspective on life, there is no getting around it.

What i do understand is that as an adult it is up to me to treat others respectfully and do what I can to learn to reach beyond my perspective. When I realize I have an outlook or behavior that is harmful to myself or others, to address it.

It's a process. With addiction, the good news is that once we become aware of our condition we can address it and arrest it. We don't have to go on hurting ourselves or others.

The other truth is that others don't owe it to us to stick around and get harmed by our addiction. They may owe us the respect of talking it out with us, but then, that's it. Just like I am not expected to hang around and let another persons prejudice or anger issues harm me. They may have that tendency due to their childhood upbringing or even a mental illness, but that doesn't mean I should hang around and be harmed.

Ideally compassion works both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Threshold For This Useful Post:
quitforme79 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i don't think it's weird that people don't understand us. i didnt understand myself until recently and i sure as hell have a hard time understading "normal" people.

i did some horrible stuff to people i love because of my addiction. i commited crimes against strangers. being an addict does not absolve me of the consequences of these actions. good intentions amount to jack squat. i had to take action, stop drinking and using drugs, and stop doing all those terrible things. and i still had(have) to pay the piper for those things i did in the past.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to augustwest For This Useful Post:
langkah (02-03-2012), LindseyMarie (02-03-2012), quitforme79 (02-03-2012), Sapling (02-03-2012), Terminally Unique (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's more important for me today to be "restored to sanity" like normal folk than to be understood by them.
How could a normal person make sense out of our thought process ??......only another alky can know what we think/feel.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2granddaughters For This Useful Post:
augustwest (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
It's more important for me today to be "restored to sanity" like normal folk than to be understood by them.
How could a normal person make sense out of our thought process ??......only another alky can know what we think/feel.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R.
Great post. I bet if normies actually did understand what went on in our alcoholic minds they would either run in horror or have us locked in cages.

restored to sanity indeed.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Only another addict can truly understand. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Why don't you just STOP?!" Or, "You just don't WANT to quit." And I'd say, "Yeah, right. I really love falling down the stairs, running into walls, hitting my head, waking up with the dry heaves and needing a drink before I get out of bed just to stop the shakes. It's fun waking up in the morning with a hangover and wondering what gawd-awful things I did the night before that I don't remember. Yeah, I'm really enjoying this." It didn't matter what I said or did - they just didn't understand that I didn't stop because I COULDN'T stop. If I quit, the anxiety and the withdrawals were unbearable.

In AA people are always saying that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. That's true. I also think the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again knowing full well what the horrible consequences will be ... and doing it anyway. That's the addict mind and only another addict understands.

I'm sober (and sane) now, and that's all that matters to me and the people I love and who love me. When I'm asked why I let myself go through all that hell before I finally quit for good, all I say now is, "Because I'm an alcoholic and I can't drink like normal people." I think that is finally starting to "click" for the normies in my life.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'It will control use until we want to stop. A lot of people out there who don't have this problem don't understand how it amkes us feel and act. It's weird how a lot of people out there just don't understand what we go threw. We USE because of the addiction but we also use because works really quick...addiction is addiction and there is a reason why it's hard to get other it. If we could stop then we would years ago.'

It sounds impossible to overcome when stated like that. As if someone with that kind of problem needs lots of understanding because they simply can't stop, because it's just one of those things that can't be helped, and people should accept that they really tried but it's just too hard, much too hard.

No.

There are those among us who won't make it and will end badly, and that's too bad. Plenty of us do stay sober though, and that's terrific for us and those around us, and for the many we would have harmed to varying degrees had we continued our drinking.

It's false to say it's too hard for alcoholics to stay sober because of what they have to overcome to do that. Alcoholics begin their sobriety in many locations all over the world, every day.

If you believe you can't stay sober because it's too difficult for you then you're entitled to your opinion regarding your chances.

Personally, I think your story isn't yet over and you may yet get and stay sober. But you have every right to disagree with me about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to langkah For This Useful Post:
augustwest (02-03-2012), Sapling (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

As far as "Addiction to the non people", my dog understood me while i was using just as much as he does today.
The Following User Says Thank You to augustwest For This Useful Post:
sissy07 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you ever go to the mall on a weekday the chances are high you'll see several groups of young women walking around where one or more are pregnant.

They lean on each other for support since their self-centered husbands just don't try to understand what it's like.

As a father and husband - I have absolutely no idea what it's really like and I never will.