Notices

almost 30 days & a little nervous

Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

almost 30 days & a little nervous

Good morning or evening all Saturday will be the 30 day mark for me. I must say that it went quite fast. The first week was very hard just in trying to "break" the habit of stopping at the liquor store and finding other things to do besides drink when I had time off from work (which luckily hasn't been much). I blew my last quit about 32 days in. A lot of you will probably agree that 4 weeks after quitting, we are feeling better (mentally & physically) and the AV starts yapping. This has been happening to me a bit already this week. Not as loud as last time but for the past 2 days my cravings during my usual past drinking time have been a bit strong. For example, during my commute home, I start thinking about the liquor store I used to stop at, picture myself opening the bottle, drinking while listening to depressing songs once home. Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun, does it? And yet it's all I wanted to do everyday after work. Anywho, my stomach issues have all but subsided since I stopped drinking) still going to stay on the meds the Dr gave me as per her direction and I am having an AWFUL time sleeping thru the nite. I usually give up and get up at 4 am to start the day. I love that I am not hungover but I would really like a rested sleep. My Dr had also given me ambien which helps me fall asleep but I awaken about 3-4 hours later (around midnight) and just pray to get more zzz's in. I made an appt with her this Friday to discuss this. I am running everyday, eating good (except for my daily hershey bar hehe ) I am journaling aa per advice of my therapist and already paid off a credit card!! Super proud of myself that I am making so many positive moves in such a small time. So I am still a little fearful of this 30 day mark/celebration. I know I don't want to drink but my AV fasts forward to a wedding mid Feb (which is more like a party at a bar) and I am going to politely decline. I am just NOT there yet. Anyone have any other suggesstions? Does this go away after 2 months? Do we all individually have that "point" (amount of time) we struggle with? Would appreciate any thoughts and sorry this is so long
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi quitforme79, I just wanted to wish you a good morning. Its great that you are taking such good care of yourself & being active

Your sleep will get better over time, you are seeing your doc on that too... it seems you are doing all of the right things.

Instead of picturing that nice drink on the way home it might be good to write out all of the reasons that you are quitting & the things it was doing to you, your life & the lives of others that you dont like & read it (list form).

I havnt read your first post here but it might be good to go back & read them as the reality of that drink at home is far different than you AV is trying to tell you.

Have a great day & take care of yourself physically & emotionally, you are making some huge changes & fighting this horrible addiction/disease/habit & winning.... Keep it up, we are here for you
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What great advice new...I didn't even think to look back on my posts!! Also, There are many alcoholics in my life (boundaries set now) that have made me feel so sad , dejected and hopeless to ever help them. I turned to drinking to cope with all that (and to numb the heck out of my feelings)..ironic isn't it? I am definitely going to make that list and thanks for giving me a good tool Have a great day!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just went back & read your second post in here... remember that place, being scared, sick, ill & poisoned. Not being able to get out on the weekends etc. Maybe you can print out your second post to read when you are thinking of drinking. I too have been in that horrible place, lets not ever go back there again. Its not worth it, I promise you.

Take Care ~ NB
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just went back and read it..along with a few others ones. WOW. I am so thankful you have posted back to me this morning, you have no idea how much you helped me. You are my little blessing today
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling more positive Quit - when you get down to it, day 30 is really no different to day 29 or day 31 or day 131 - remember all you've learned, reach out for support if & when you need it, and you'll be fine

D